• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA taking over Freedom flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcnu - if your captain tells you to do something that is against the poh, point it out, if he tells you again to do it refuse, third time make him do it.

if the apu is started at 10,000 and catches fire or smokes up the cabin (as i had the 50 do years ago) how will you explain you were deviating from procedure.

Where does the OM say that the APU isn't to be started at 10000? Starting the APU at 10 or leaving the APU running on the ground isn't against the OM. It might not be necessary or the wisest choice but it's the Captain's call and the FO trying to "make him do it" is not the answer.

mcnu - if your captain tells you to do something that is against the poh, point it out, if he tells you again to do it refuse, third time make him do it.

if the apu is started at 10,000 and catches fire or smokes up the cabin (as i had the 50 do years ago) how will you explain you were deviating from procedure.

Well I don't think it's technically wrong to start it at the gate, leave it running for taxi, and start it again on the decent at 10. Everything on the Project APU Bulletin says "Unless conditions warrant." That leaves it pretty open ended to interpretation.

I'm all about saving money and gas, and will be as diplomatic as possible to argue my case. But in the end I'm not the captain and unless what he says specifically goes against company policy, or isn't safe I'll just bite my tongue and do it his way.

ASA has just done such a good job of screwing over the pilots in the past, that a culture has been created among the pilot group to just write off any new ideas or cost saving initiatives from management, even if they are actually good ones that will help us in the long run.

Last edited:
from the 200 poh, decent and approach-

9. APU and BLEEDS ....................................... Set
• Normal operations do not require the APU to be started.
• If available, the APU must be started if an approach is being conducted in icing conditions.

no longer a temperature published, ergo, no flexibility​

The girls loved my bowl cut and the guys were impressed with the brand new Atari 2600 I got for Christmas. Does that count?

You bet it does! That's pretty sweet! I thought it was a Commodore 64?

Hey, at least your not banging goats catching nasty diseases in the schools like JDResquire. Then crying to the mediators because he gets his ass ripped. But hey, that's for another place. Shamrock, you da man! Or kid in this manner!

Trojan

Air Whisky's ops call for two engine taxi. To reduce cost of engine shut-down/rebuilds due to coking inside the number two engines (from SE taxi)... (now of course this procedure was created b4 $110/barrell oil, perhaps it will change?)...fyi

Air Whisky's ops call for two engine taxi. To reduce cost of engine shut-down/rebuilds due to coking inside the number two engines (from SE taxi)... (now of course this procedure was created b4 $110/barrell oil, perhaps it will change?)...fyi

That makes no sense whatsoever. So if you have a 3 hour stop and go taxi, you have to run them both to "save" the engine? Sounds someone who has no idea what they are talking about got the chance to write a policy. Gees.

Well I don't think it's technically wrong to start it at the gate, leave it running for taxi, and start it again on the decent at 10. Everything on the Project APU Bulletin says "Unless conditions warrant." That leaves it pretty open ended to interpretation.

I'm all about saving money and gas, and will be as diplomatic as possible to argue my case. But in the end I'm not the captain and unless what he says specifically goes against company policy, or isn't safe I'll just bite my tongue and do it his way.

ASA has just done such a good job of screwing over the pilots in the past, that a culture has been created among the pilot group to just write off any new ideas or cost saving initiatives from management, even if they are actually good ones that will help us in the long run.

Amen, Nuge. Some of the crustys need to realize we are in a different time now, and a different contract. The way I look at it, every time I go D-0 and every cent of fuel I save adds a little to my bonus check. Show me the money!

The way I see it, the APU burns 120 lbs/hr. Jet fuel weighs 6 lbs/gallon. 1 gallon = a bit over $3/gallon. Therefore the APU is burning about $1 per minute or about $60/hr. I know that's a lot more than most of us get paid. Each CRJ engine burns what, about 300-350 pph at idle? So with both running in addition to the APU, you're burning $7/minute. That's $420/hr.

The way I see it, the APU burns 120 lbs/hr. Jet fuel weighs 6 lbs/gallon. 1 gallon = a bit over $3/gallon. Therefore the APU is burning about $1 per minute or about $60/hr. I know that's a lot more than most of us get paid. Each CRJ engine burns what, about 300-350 pph at idle? So with both running in addition to the APU, you're burning $7/minute. That's $420/hr.

As has been noted on here, fuel is a pass thru cost for ASA. Therefore it doesn't affect our profit/profit margin or you bonus check. I almost never S/E taxi or shut-down the APU. Now if SH gets the boot later this year and we get rid of these crappy 4-day trips, then we can talk.

Latest resources

Back