ASA/SkyWest in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy Neill

Trying to remember elements of my business law.

I was thinking about the agreement between Delta and SkyWest when the latter bought ASA. There was a provision in the contract that said ASA would retain a certain percentage of the flying out of ATL.

Now if Delta breached that contract by awarding SkyWest Inc. ATL flying and requesting/requiring (allowing Inc to let) SkyWest Airlines to fly it, it would be up to SkyWest Inc to ask for redress. If Inc did not object, then it would not be an issue.

I think some have expressed a concern that the ASA flying was dropping below the agreed percentage. I can see where it might be and that Inc doesn't object - in fact would be supportive of SKYW getting more of it. There is no injured party in the contract who has legal standing.

Am I missing something?

I saw their -900 at D36ish last night.

Nope. It is a business agreement and not part of the union contract. There is no way that the management types at ASA would object. If they did so it would be at SKW Inc.'s peril. Now If ASA/SKW flying out of ATL went below 80% I bet that SKW would say something, but for now SKW will keep their mouths shut.
If we as a pilot group made a stink about it, then DAL and SKW would just change the wording to a mutually agreeable text. Simply put, there is no use fighting it with the current contractual wording.

Andy:

All I can think of is ALPA's status as a representative of a huge unsecured creditor, who would have standing to bring claims that the pilot they represent are being harmed by the transfer of flying to non-union carriers in an effort to undermine the bargaining of the pilots ALPA represents.

But nah, ALPA isn't going to think outside the box and besides, ALPA took bargaining credits for the Requests for Porposal down in the scope free lawless land of "small jet" flying. ALPA policy is that our jobs are not worth protecting.

Saw one taxi in yesterday at ATL. Ramp had it hold on the ramp. and then it finally parked at it's gate about 10 minutes later. Welcome to ATL!

Voted To Strike ASA!

i'm sure the ALPO drive is going well seeing as tho there are friendly asa pilots like airtime42 welcoming skywest pilots in....not.

Latest resources

Back