• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Says Pilots' Demands Are Lofty

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both pilot group's need to quit pretending we are still two separate carriers.

Skywest Inc. has/is shuffling resources, and reneging on promises as necessary to decrease cost. That's their job. We need to capitulate now, and move on to have any control of our collective future because divided we have none.

ASA Pilot's need to accept a contract that is identical to Skywest's agreement with our pilot's. We all need to accept that total integration give us more leverage(not control), and will provide INC. with additional cost savings. Finally, Skywest Pilot's need to accept that DOH integration is the only way to piss everyone off equally.

None of this is good for either group individually, but I would rather put all this crap behind us. Fighting Mesa and Republic/Shuttle/Chautaqua as one group is the only way to have an upward affect on our future.

The Brady's made it work, and I wouldn't mind meeting Marsha!

I guess I am wrong, I never thought of premium as block or better. Not giving that up without something to make up for it.

As far as I know we are not asking for more than SKW's contract in pay. But QOL is so far from anyone elses now and in their proposal that it's pathetic.

Premium pay IS what gives us block or better. Where we have it nice is that it is paid on top of guarantee. That's what helps the nappers and the ATR guys. But remember that everything that we do is on a leg by leg basis, so regardless of what your line is blocked to that underblock (premium) pay makes up a substantial part of your final pay.

atrdriver said:
That is not really a true statement. Premium is paid on a leg by leg basis, on top of guarantee. My last check I was paid 6.7 hours of premium, and 7 hours of overblock. If premium was eliminated, that would have been 6.7 hours of pay I would not have gotten, even though I was obviously over guarantee. If you take away premium pay you are going to take a paycut, period. The only way that I would agree to having premium cut is with a min day, trip and duty rigs, on a day by day calculation, not the way CMR does theirs, which is on a monthly lookback basis.
You are wrong. Ifly is 100% correct.

If we did not have premium, my pay would have been cut $3,700 last year. It is around 8% of a lineholder's pay and probably the entire reason why we have our on time performance. Premium motivates the crew to get out of the gate on time and arrive early, if reasonably possible.

Lets see, the airplane costs around $2,500 an hour to operate. The crew gets paid around $110 an hour (including the F/A) I would rather pay the crew $18.70 if they saved $425 in operating costs by picking the most efficient altitudes and worked the system to get around other traffic (getting checklists done in a timely manner and being ready for taxi calls, etc...)

In my view, premium is a win / win. But the Company's bean counters are not experienced enough to realize that pilots can, and do, make a difference. To them we are only cost units.

Last edited:
ohplease! said:
You are wrong. Ifly is 100% correct.

Ok, so tell me then how we get paid "block or better"? It is through the underblock program, which is also known as premium. Read the contract, not managements propoganda. Go look at your paycheck, and see how much "underblock" you get every month. Then tell me if you want to give it up.

>You fly a 40 hour nap line and say get 6 hours premium. Your pay will be 75 hours + 6 hours to equal 81 hours.

Now if you have an 83 hour line premium does nothing for the paycheck (if you fly a 2 hour blocked roundtrip, and do it at 1.75, your pay is 1.75 hours plus the .25 premium to bring it back to 2 hours). Regardless of cancellations you are always gauranteed the 83 hour minimum line, plus any overblock.

If they do away with premium, it just means you will only get payed 75 hours max, if you bid a line that's blocked less than 75 hours.<<

No, No,.. what they are proposing is losing premium. You are paid in order of 1)flight time, 2)plus credits, 3)plus premium.

Lets say you are blocked to 80 hours. You flew 76. You get paid 76 hours, plus credits, plus premium, Which in this case would have to be the difference 4 hours, for a total of 80 hours. (assuming no credits) There is no such thing "block or better". The only way to get your line value is to either fly it, or fly less and get premium. You will lose this if they get their way.

If you are underblock, as in Naps, you will get 75 hours and no premium.

Its going to be a lot of fun flying around ATL if we lose premium. All of a sudden everyone will be "operationally limited" to .70M. That outta gum up the works a bit.

Just out of curiosity, how do other airlines deal with this? Do most have some sort of "block or better" deal going?

Fine, they can have premium if they want......Bur NEVER block or better!!!!!! Talk about regression! Of course, people will avoid naps like the plague! The company is crazy to take block or better, as crews will just go slow! Duh! But, go ahead and take your premium, give me trip rigs and block or better.

Latest resources

Back