• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Ready Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just given a day six RR 3:30-11:30 pm. They claimed I was the only one available. It was useless trying to offer to do an earlier one where they could actually use me.

You guys have 8 hr airport reserve?? They can extend it 2 hrs if IROP ?

Someone should print up a cheat sheet that explains all of the reserve points in the contract and hand them out to all reserve pilots. This could be used to foil the schedulers when they try to give you something that is illegal.

Someone should print up a cheat sheet that explains all of the reserve points in the contract and hand them out to all reserve pilots. This could be used to foil the schedulers when they try to give you something that is illegal.

1: Don't answer your phone, ever. Let it go to voice mail. Check the message, check Sked+, call back in 15 minutes. If it's advantageous for you to call back sooner, call back sooner.

2: When 'self-releasing' from ready reserve, call scheduling at release time + 1 minute and say; "I'm leaving the airport and would like to see if there are any notifications on my schedule." If they have an assignment for you that day, it's too late, it's 1 minute past release time. They can, however, notify you of something for you next reserve period. Period.

Never ever ever self notify unless it's to your advantage. Rather call them and if there's the remotest possibility that they'll f it up, they probably will. Trick is to know the contract well enough to take advantage of the f up

3: Don't act like a d!ck on the phone, you're simply putting a target on your head. It's human nature for someone in scheduling to want to give you the sh!ttiest assignment they can when they know you're a d!ck. I would do the same thing in their shoes. Don't expect them to know the rules, most of them are new to the job and haven't been in aviation. How long did it take you to learn the reduced rest rules (I know, I know, most of our pilots still don't know them). If your response to this is; "it's their job, they better know it." my response to you is; it's your job, you better know it more than you expect them to know it. And, when in doubt, call the ALPA scheduling hotline; 888-624-5195.

4: When notified of an assignment, your response on the phone is "I'll be there in 2 hours." (Unless said assignment is a nap and you need your beauty sleep, then you can hurry your as.s down there and get to the overnight.) The 2 hours starts when they leave the message, not when you call back in 15 minutes. If you want to be exact, and they call you at 12;03 for a 2;00pm ready reserve, say "Ill duty in at 2;03" just to get that extra dig in. But don't get pissed if the ready reserve shift is adjusted to 10;03 on the backend, when do you call for 'release' in this situation? 10;04.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back