• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Ready Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just given a day six RR 3:30-11:30 pm. They claimed I was the only one available. It was useless trying to offer to do an earlier one where they could actually use me.

This got cut off the bottom of my first post.

(7) If two or more reserve pilots available for a ready reserve within
2 the same bucket assignment have the same credit value at the time
3 of the ready reserve assignment, the junior most pilot will be given
4 the assignment.
6 (8) When making an assignment in paragraphs e.(1) – e.(7), above,
7 the Company will assign an AM ready reserve assignment to a
8 short-call reserve pilot who has an on-call period that begins on or
9 before 1159 domicile time. The Company will assign a PM ready
10 reserve pilot, to a short-call reserve who has an on-call period that
11 begins on or after 1200 domicile time. The Company will exhaust all
12 the requisite short-call reserves in their respective short-call reserve
13 period before utilizing the other requisite short-call reserves in the
14 other reserve period.
16 For example, if an AM ready reserve assignment needs to be filled,
17 the Company will process all available short-call reserves in the 2-
18 day bucket to fill the assignment with an AM on-call reserve before,
19 the process paragraphs e.(2), then e.(3), then e.(4), e.(5) before
20 processing the 2-day bucket with a short-call reserve with a PM on-
21 call reserve period to fill the assignment.

Scheduling has become VERY adversarial with pilots. Yet management continues to proclaim that it is quite the contrary.

I'm also getting automated notifications well into my rest period. When I called them on it and told them it was violating my rest period, they denied that it does such. On a trip, my cell phone is my alarm, and thus, whenever they activate an automated text notification, it beeps and wakes me up. How does this not violate rest requirements.

I've had them call at 4am, to inform me that I had a RRR reserve at 6am.......THE NEXT DAY!!!! When I chewed the scheduler out for doing it, their statement was "Well, you're on reserve now". That's great, except my wife has to work because regional pay is so crappy. Now she is up too, can't go back to sleep, and will now roll around awake until 8am when she gets up. Though they can, they ought to have enough common sense not to.

When it comes to crew scheduling- NOT ONE INCH am I willing to give those bastards. After years of being pro scheduling and busting hump, not anymore.

Scheduling has become VERY adversarial with pilots. Yet management continues to proclaim that it is quite the contrary.

Part of the reason for this is the fact that some of the XJT schedulers transferred over to ATL from IAH. Welcome to what we've been dealing with for years.

Good post, Twott Driver. Many guys have been on reserve for so long they have forgotten the RRR assignment protocols. I am going to run copies of LOA 11, as it pertains to RRR and disperse it around the vampire crypt, also known as the crew lounge. Crewmembers on reserve must protect every shred of the meager work rules that pertain to them. Management doesn't care about reserve QOL. Very few line holders care about reserve QOL. Therefore, reserve crews shouldn't care much about them either. Protect yourself, your personal health, and your family life. Do not rush to flight assignments. Take time to eat your meals quietly. Write up all maintenance discrepancies thoroughly, as required by the FOM. You are tired; your aircraft must be safe. All cockpit lights should be working properly. Chart holder lights, map holder lights, center console floodlights, side panel floodlights, and all other lights should be fully working for night operations. The MELs for cockpit lighting require PIC and FO acceptance. Don't accept sub-standard flightdeck illumination. The following suggestions for reserve work rules are just a starting point for what we should see in a contract. If it means giving up improvements for line holder QOL, then so be it.

1) 13 days off minimum
2) Moving a day off = 3 hour pay override, over guarantee regardless of credit.
3) Ready reserve = 2 hour pay override, over guarantee regardless of credit.
4) Days off pro-rated chart section 12-D-2e should be the same for reserve as line holder.

Anything less than the above is unacceptable and insulting

Last edited:
Good post, Twott Driver. Many guys have been on reserve for so long they have forgotten the RRR assignment protocols. I am going to run copies of LOA 11, as it pertains to RRR and disperse it around the vampire crypt, also known as the crew lounge. Crewmembers on reserve must protect every shred of the meager work rules that pertain to them. Management doesn't care about reserve QOL. Very few line holders care about reserve QOL. Therefore, reserve crews shouldn't care much about them either. Protect yourself, your personal health, and your family life. Do not rush to flight assignments. Take time to eat your meals quietly. Write up all maintenance discrepancies thoroughly, as required by the FOM. You are tired; your aircraft must be safe. All cockpit lights should be working properly. Chart holder lights, map holder lights, center console floodlights, side panel floodlights, and all other lights should be fully working for night operations. The MELs for cockpit lighting require PIC and FO acceptance. Don't accept sub-standard flightdeck illumination. The following suggestions for reserve work rules are just a starting point for what we should see in a contract. If it means giving up improvements for line holder QOL, then so be it.

1) 13 days off minimum
2) Moving a day off = 3 hour pay override, over guarantee regardless of credit.
3) Ready reserve = 2 hour pay override, over guarantee regardless of credit.
4) Days off pro-rated chart section 12-D-2e should be the same for reserve as line holder.

Anything less than the above is unacceptable and insulting

Agree with the above completely. Reserve section needs work. The reserves have been sacrificing to make things better for the line holders, and I'm tired of the lectures from the senior people that don't have a clue. If they don't back the reserve improvements, I've suddenly become in favor of dual qual.

I'm also getting automated notifications well into my rest period. When I called them on it and told them it was violating my rest period, they denied that it does such. On a trip, my cell phone is my alarm, and thus, whenever they activate an automated text notification, it beeps and wakes me up. How does this not violate rest requirements.

I've had them call at 4am, to inform me that I had a RRR reserve at 6am.......THE NEXT DAY!!!! When I chewed the scheduler out for doing it, their statement was "Well, you're on reserve now". That's great, except my wife has to work because regional pay is so crappy. Now she is up too, can't go back to sleep, and will now roll around awake until 8am when she gets up. Though they can, they ought to have enough common sense not to.

When it comes to crew scheduling- NOT ONE INCH am I willing to give those bastards. After years of being pro scheduling and busting hump, not anymore.

Create an email account on gmail or yahoo and send notifications to that. It won't accept SH's telephone number anymore unfortunately. Don't have to worry about it again after that. They will phone you with the change when they need to.

yes, it's very sad that SH's number won't work anymore... and every time you try to delete the robo-dial number on ourasa, it just repopulates it. You have to put *some* number in there. I gave em the Rejection hotline number- Any of the numbers on this page should work:

http://www.rejectionline.com/copycat.html

Have a listen: http://www.rejectionline.com/listen.html

Yeah, I know no one is on the other line listening. But It makes me smile. Robo call vs Robo Answering service.

Create an email account on gmail or yahoo and send notifications to that. It won't accept SH's telephone number anymore unfortunately. Don't have to worry about it again after that. They will phone you with the change when they need to.

Agree with the above completely. Reserve section needs work. The reserves have been sacrificing to make things better for the line holders, and I'm tired of the lectures from the senior people that don't have a clue. If they don't back the reserve improvements, I've suddenly become in favor of dual qual.

Just curious, how long have you been here?

Latest resources

Back