Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA: Ready reserve not assigned via the bucket?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Plane/seat/base??? Hum, ATL or ATL? CRJ 200=7yrs to hold line currently, CRJ 700=8 yrs currently. But you are right about seat. I guess I could have stayed in the right seat and kept my food stamps! WHAT CHOICES???
awwwww. whats a matter poop? didn't you take the class on instability in the airline industry during your $100k "I'm gonna be an airline pilot and fly big jets next week" education? You bought the whole sales pitch didn't you....? duh.

By the way....$40k+/yr. isn't exactly food stamp range....as a matter of fact, you probably don't make much more as a reserve capt. than a senior fo. But then you wouldn't be able to tell all you riddle/und friends what a great capt. you are....ahhh....choices indeed......boohoo...welcome to the adult world.

Last edited:
Oh Please,

You are a complete self-centered douch bag. I am ashamed that I work at the same company as you, and I shutter to think I may have shared a cockpit with such a jerk. Everyone had better share your exact opinion and see things how you do or they are ridiculed by you. Either you just say things to be a bully and stir things up, or you are truely that much of an a$$hole.

Oh Please,

You are a complete self-centered douch bag. I am ashamed that I work at the same company as you, and I shutter to think I may have shared a cockpit with such a jerk. Everyone had better share your exact opinion and see things how you do or they are ridiculed by you. Either you just say things to be a bully and stir things up, or you are truely that much of an a$$hole.
hahahaha....bully......roflmao.....hahaha......get off my swing you little puss. This is MY playground. :laugh:

As I approach my sixth anniversary I can't help but reflect on my THREE YEARS on reserve. That's right, half of my time here, two years as an FO under the old system and a year as Captain. As an FO it never ceased to amaze me how few captains I flew with had any idea how dramatically my life contrasted with theirs. So many had little or no time on reserve, that's right zero, none. Most had minimal appreciation for what it was like to work on reserve at a company who intentionally understaffed and let the junior pilots bear the brunt. Any attempt to describe this to them was often considered "whining." Now I see this same bloody smug-azz high-minded attitude from those same types on here just because someof us have attempted to describe a problematic situation we're faced with. Apparently you guys actually feel we don't have a right to raise an issue that's well worthy of discussion.We all really appreciate your support and understanding brother pilots...right.

Frankly I'm amazed at the commentary from some of the lofty folks like The Honorable Mr/Dr Professor Captain Oh Please Sir. How long, Mr Captain Oh Please Sir, has it been since you had reserve? How long were you on reserve? How many RRs have you had? And then there's The Honorable Mr/Dr Professor Captain Speedtape Sir. This person's comments are especially puzzling to me. You sir, apparently are convinced our new system is so vastly better. I wonder what you're basing that on Mr Captain Sir? Are you currently on reserve, sir? As someone who experienced reserve for two years as an FO under the old system and a year as captain under both, perhaps I have a fairly accurate perspective on it. Just coming off a five day stint, allow me to share: 3 days short called for RR, one short called for a low block round trip. As for whining, I constantly hear line holders bitching about airport appreciation. Try three out of four days at eight hours each of airport appreciation. Of course I got to taxi about 20 aircraft back and forth to the hangar. You'll have to forgive me for not being able to distinguish that from the old system. However, your most baffling statements are that, somehow, this is by choice. That's one of the richest points I've ever seen on this forum. If you'd like, you could attempt to explain whatever convoluted logic brought you to this conclusion...good luck. If you're going to try to claim we should have somehow seen the current situation coming, I guess your palm reader is better than everybody else's. If you think there is some way to opt out of reserve, perhaps you would share it with us.

The bottom line for me: I'm fed up with people whining that we're whining. We're simply attempting to point out an issue which needs attention. You see, my friends, discourse on an issue is the only way things get changed. As it happens, our union and company officials have recognized there is a problem and solutions are now being discussed. That is because the rank and file have brought the issue to the forefront. We are not complaining about the need for reserve or RR, we're pointing out major problems with how it's being implemented. Our points are extremely valid and it is really disappointing to see fellow pilots who can't seem to grasp this or lend their support.

Excuse me, please! I didn't mean to INVALIDATE your feelings! Having been married for some time, I should have recognized the sensitivity of your issue.

However, if you feel you have a VALID issue and are being violated, there are more APPROPRIATE forums that could possibly yield real results, versus posting them in cyberspace where nothing will happen.
But, if that makes your feel better, then carry on.

I was on reserve, 2 or more times, for about 2 years. On many occasions, I remember getting called to the airport for an assignment for somone who did not show up on time, then getting sent home, called back for a short round trip, then asked to hang out for another assignment, then sent home, then called back to the airport to fly. In addition, if you ever questioned a scheduler, even in a respectful way, you were placed on the "abuse list" and remained there until some other prisoner became the poster child. We had no rules other than the FAA rules.

FYI, the Reserve rules have improved, because, a large majority of pilots like myself remember our time in the barrel, and made it a priority in the last negotiations. We got nothing in return, but it was the right thing to do. Is it perfect--NO! Is it better than when I was in the barrel--yes! In fact, there have been some who have bid reserve that could hold a line. Our rules are better than most, and not as good as some. Even at some of the Legends, today, our rules are better. If you have friends at Continental, check with them.

However, back to the subject. If things are not working right according to the contract, then call your Scheduling Chairman, your reps, the Mec office and state your grievance. If the contract is not tight enough in language or processes, then call your Sceduling Chairman, reps, or the MEC office and let them know what needs to be fixed. There is probably only one of them that knows what reserve and the new reserve rules are like--but all need to know what is not working or what needs fixing. Squeaky wheels get the oil! Looking over the contract on reserve rules, I can see where things could be better. However, things did improve under the last contract.

You have challenged me and others that we don't care about your plight! This is not true as we are responsible for the improvements that were made in the Reserve rules in the last contract--we made it a priority in our contract surveys. Those challenged by you are no longer on reserve and don't know how the improvements are working or whether the contract is being implemented correctly. However, it has become clear, that rules could be further improved. I challenge you and any of the others that you know to voice your suggestions collectively to your Scheduling Chairman, reps, and the MEC office so that it can be addressed in the next contract. Can it help you now? No, but it may help pilots in the coming years that will be on reserve. Do your part in making it a little better, just as those who came before you have done for you! Things will remain the same if you don't take that action. In summary, use your energy to effect change in ways and forums that matter--LEC meetings and voicing your concerns to your reps. Make the rubber meet the road!

Flight Info postings will only subject you to sniper fire and attacks by veiled and unknown, uncaring posters. Unfortunately, the lack of accountability lends itself to the unrpoductive SPORT of Sniping!

Good Tail Winds (when you do fly),

Speedtape

However, if you feel you have a VALID issue and are being violated, there are more APPROPRIATE forums that could possibly yield real results, versus posting them in cyberspace where nothing will happen.
But, if that makes your feel better, then carry on.

Posted yesterday by Speedtape:

2. Anyone can bitch on this forum all they want

What happened to that? Now this message board is not an appropriate place, when yesterday anybody can bitch about anything they want, when you were defending yourself!

Redan schooled you, and now you backpedal by saying he shouldn't air his concerns on a webboard. Maybe he just wants to discuss it with like-minded individuals. Maybe they can come to a consensus on how to handle the problem. But, you guys without a dog even in the fight jump on them for whining because you had it worse once a long time ago, so then it should be bad for them, too, and they certainly have no right to air it out, or discuss it. That is just rediculous! I hope I never see you write one word about anything you feel is wrong. After all, someone must have once had it worse at some time, right?

I think the system is WAY better now, but the point is that the "abuse" list you talk about is probably in effect today with RRR assignments as there is no rhyme or reason as to how they assign it. Really I think they just use it to break up 5 and 6 days of reserve days to make you get in a 2 or 3 day bucket, but that's just the way I see it. Whoever pushed for the bucket system and us being able to see it deserves a few ASA star bucks.

Posted yesterday by Speedtape:

2. Anyone can bitch on this forum all they want

What happened to that? Now this message board is not an appropriate place, when yesterday anybody can bitch about anything they want, when you were defending yourself!

Redan schooled you, and now you backpedal by saying he shouldn't air his concerns on a webboard. Maybe he just wants to discuss it with like-minded individuals. Maybe they can come to a consensus on how to handle the problem. But, you guys without a dog even in the fight jump on them for whining because you had it worse once a long time ago, so then it should be bad for them, too, and they certainly have no right to air it out, or discuss it. That is just rediculous! I hope I never see you write one word about anything you feel is wrong. After all, someone must have once had it worse at some time, right?

First, Sport, no one schooled me, although I am always willing to listen and learn! The intent of my message was not backtracking, but more about giving some history to the subject and explain why and how to effect real change--the remedy will not be found on F.I.

I think the system is WAY better now, but the point is that the "abuse" list you talk about is probably in effect today with RRR assignments as there is no rhyme or reason as to how they assign it. Really I think they just use it to break up 5 and 6 days of reserve days to make you get in a 2 or 3 day bucket, but that's just the way I see it. Whoever pushed for the bucket system and us being able to see it deserves a few ASA star bucks.

I had a conversation with one of the reps regarding the bucket system. Apparently, there may be a possible remedy that will be addressed in the near future. Stand-by.

I think your observation is correct.

Latest resources

Back