• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ramp on the 4th. Way to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
;)I'm sure it will get JA's attention when Ma Delta makes a phone call to get things together or he will lose the contract! Oh and NO, the skywst pilots could NOT cover our flying! In fact, I cant WAIT until the skywst pilots come to ATL, then they will get the "infection" that is ATL!:laugh: It will be GREAT! Their performance numbers will take a HUGE DIVE!!!!:laugh: Welcome to ATL JA you TWITT!!!

This all reminds me of the old ASA E-120 days, waiting to be parked in never never land........yup, chillin' in my Burger King Brasilia in the middle of Atlanta Summer---pants rolled up to my knees, a shirt totally unbuttoned, tie clipped on to visor, and a towel on my head.

At least we had DV windows to open and get fresh (albeit 120 degree) air.

Some things never change.

This all reminds me of the old ASA E-120 days, waiting to be parked in never never land........yup, chillin' in my Burger King Brasilia in the middle of Atlanta Summer---pants rolled up to my knees, a shirt totally unbuttoned, tie clipped on to visor, and a towel on my head.

Don't forget taxiing the empty plane over to get her cooled down in the shade of abandoned concourse C an hour before departure from D. (C was empty after EAL shut down....)

Last year or maybe the year before, a CMR captain called a chief pilot to refuse an airplane in ATL. The APU was broke, and it was a scorching summer day. Also, while at a previous airline, he'd had a passenger die of heat stroke. He wanted to refuse the airplane for safety reasons.

The response was that if the MEL says the airplane is okay to fly, you will go fly. Highly uncomfortable, yes. Unsafe, no, according to the CP. Make a PA before push explaining the situation, close the shades, open the vents, pass out waters, but do the flight.

You could still refuse the flight, but I would think you'd at least get an unpaid vacation out of it...

Anybody actually refuse an airplane with no APU?

captainv said:
Last year or maybe the year before, a CMR captain called a chief pilot to refuse an airplane in ATL. The APU was broke, and it was a scorching summer day. Also, while at a previous airline, he'd had a passenger die of heat stroke. He wanted to refuse the airplane for safety reasons.

The response was that if the MEL says the airplane is okay to fly, you will go fly. Highly uncomfortable, yes. Unsafe, no, according to the CP. Make a PA before push explaining the situation, close the shades, open the vents, pass out waters, but do the flight.

You could still refuse the flight, but I would think you'd at least get an unpaid vacation out of it...

We can at ASA...we have something in our FOM that states if cabin temps are above 30C and the airplane has no APU it can be refused. It usually isn't questioned too hard.

I refused the airplane several times and didn't have a problem with anyone. I was polite and firm with dispatch and was told they would find a replacement. And they did. Might be different there now though. Still would not take one without and if one came to me at an outstation, go back to the hotel, or poll the passengers and see what their reaction to 95+ in the cabin. Don't think there would be many wanting to ride it out, especially with the ramp situation.

captainv said:

I have refused several when it is a hot summer day in good ole ATL. Chief pilots have always told me no problem. It is a health hazard. The temp in the cabin can easily reach near 100 degrees. Are you going to put your passengers through that? I don't want that liability. Old folks can have heat strokes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back