• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ramp on the 4th. Way to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had one the other day that the APU DID work on, and we sat after being loaded for about 30 minutes. Cabin temp was showing 31. I fot off, found a supervisor, and told him if we weren't pushing in 5 minutes I was going to evacuate the a/c and they could deal with it from there. Amazingly, we were moving about 2 minutes later.

anyone sit for 2hrs last night waiting for a gate?

2.83 block from MGM...included last min. ground stop in MGM then an hour in ATL for the gate.

ReportCanoa said:
Let me get this straight- you would declare a medical emergency to get people off the plane, but on the other hand you have used magazines and cases of water as ballast?

I'd say you have good judgement 50 percent of the time.

What's wrong with using cases of water and boxes of magazines as ballast? They are both relatively compact heavy items. As long as the CG is proper who cares?

I see nothing wrong with using water and magazines for ballast. It is a known weight. Ghetto or not, it gets the job done. Or maybe they don't teach that at ERAU.

Dave Benjamin said:
What's wrong with using cases of water and boxes of magazines as ballast? They are both relatively compact heavy items. As long as the CG is proper who cares?

I have tried several times ar outstations to bring back sandbags over the last month and they (the outstations) will never load them. Maybe someone needs to tell them that ATL needs some back.

atrdriver said:
I have tried several times ar outstations to bring back sandbags over the last month and they (the outstations) will never load them. Maybe someone needs to tell them that ATL needs some back.

XNA has it together. They use old suitcases for ballast, send then to ATL with a bag tag stamped XNA, and they get them back to use again. And this idea did not come from the G/O.

Hoser

atrdriver said:

Try using some of the sandbags sleeping on the beltloaders LOL

captainv said:
You could still refuse the flight, but I would think you'd at least get an unpaid vacation out of it...

Anybody actually refuse an airplane with no APU?

Done it many times on the E120, ATR, and CRJ. CP always backed us up, especially JA when he was CP. Well, there were the DR days, but most of us just ignored him. One instance on the ATR, we almost experienced heat stroke. F/As went to the clinic, FO and myself felt sick. Went to DH and told him about our heat problem. Doug called schdg and instructed them to replace us. Went home and got paid for it. It is a safety and health issue. I won't take one without an APU, especially the RJ200 where there is no flow until takeopff power is applied. Grow a pair, be a Captain!

Hoser

I was told that the ramp is doing a "work slowdown". According to the source, it's well organized, from the supervisors down, and includes the departure coordinators, cleaners, and caters.

Apparently the below the wing workers are pissed about the understaffing and having to do the job of 5 people, so instead of quitting, they're protesting. Moving slowly unloading, parking, cleaning, whatever until ASA hires more rampers and such.

It's about time the ground workers at ASA got themselves organized. I'll put up with the delays just to see the most underpaid workers in the industry "stick it to the man"!

I heard on the radio the other week, an ATR crew had a FA pass out from the heat on the airplane with a full load. In the middle of getting the plane unloaded I heard ops call the flt crew and say "scheduling said don't deplane, the ready reserve FA is on her way out".

For a millisecond I couldn't believe I heard that. Then I remembered who was doing the thinking.

Glad I am not the only one who doesn't think it's ghetto to use water or mag's for ballast.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back