ASA proposed pay scale!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Why would SkyWest burn $400 million in aquisition costs and then want you to go away? That makes no sense. They just want you to be their Low Cost Biatch. Welcome to the new industry. EVERYONE will get a pay cut.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Or, were the secured gates in Atl, the exclusivity (sp) agreements and future, and agreed to, 70 seaters worth $400 million?

av8er2 said:
I sure would hate to lose a flying job but if it means working for nothing I choose to move on. ASA pilots are some of the best, just look at our safety record and if mgt. and the public can't respect that and pay use enough to live on, then the heck with this.

I will just move on! It is hard enough to go to work not being appricated now, I can't imagin what it would feel like with pay cuts. Get real, most of use are willing to move on and do something else.

This would of been harder to take a few years ago, but we have had enough time to think about this. If you don't appricate our skills and don't want to pay for them then get some other unsafe, no-experience pilot to do this job. When ASA's safety record goes down the toilet, they will think twice.

Safety is not really an issue, I hate to say. Look at the sh1t bird airlines like Mesa. They have a good safety record, and to the traveling public, their flights are smooth and often on-time.

RJ's are NOT falling out of the sky, so there is no reason hire pilots with more than 600/200 (yes, this is a strain on the Captains, but still planes are not crashing left and right). This is the same reason we can't get the FAA to seriously review crew rest requirements. Yes, we have all flown EXHAUSTED, but the RJ is easy to fly and somehow we operated the flight safely. As long as it's not an issue, it won't be addressed.

Don't think management will respect your "skills," because they believe (somewhat accurately) that they can get those same skills for much cheaper. Your only real power is that your hands are ON the company right now.

Palerider957 said:
Safety is not really an issue, I hate to say. Look at the sh1t bird airlines like Mesa. They have a good safety record, and to the traveling public, their flights are smooth and often on-time.

RJ's are NOT falling out of the sky, so there is no reason hire pilots with more than 600/200 (yes, this is a strain on the Captains, but still planes are not crashing left and right). This is the same reason we can't get the FAA to seriously review crew rest requirements. Yes, we have all flown EXHAUSTED, but the RJ is easy to fly and somehow we operated the flight safely. As long as it's not an issue, it won't be addressed.

You must not of been here the last time. Safety is an issue. Just ask George and John when they tried to get the pilots in trouble with the FAA for all the MTC write ups. The Feds told them because of this they were not going to do anything. The pilots were doing their jobs. You get paid to do your job, not everyone elses.

Ditto. The ONLY reason we got a contract in '98 was that maintenance got so bad, the FAA stepped in and forced a contract settlement to try and settle everything down.

There were a couple of maintenance incidents that could have killed people, but the pilots got the planes back on the ground and/or spotted it before takeoff. One old Eastern guy went over to the POI and told him it was more dangerous than the latter days of EAL. That's what got the ball rolling.

ASA has the best dam' pilots in the business, and the safety record to prove it. God bless you guys. Let me know when to show up to picket.

Talked to my buddy at CHQ the other day. Happy as a clam. Upgraded on the E170 in a year and a half. Making more than anyone at ASA who has been here for 3+ years. (I don't think we have captains under that)...
My point is this. The only people talking about bottomfeeders and making a stand are us. Check the board I see ASA on here daily but hardly ever see MESA or CHQ etc. So make your stand. They will take your flying and be happy with it. While your job hunting they'll be getting better lines.

Huck said:
ASA has the best dam' pilots in the business, and the safety record to prove it. God bless you guys. Let me know when to show up to picket.

Ok stop with this garbage. Other than PNCL making a smoking hole for no reason who are the bad pilots in the industry.
Seems like every other week we hit a taxi light at BTR. I know it's a little thing but the "best dam' pilots in the business" don't make mental errors on taxi in.

I remember the write-ups, but you must remember ASA was primarily Brasilisa's back then. There wasn't a single day you couldn't find a hundred things wrong with the E-120. It's not AS easy in the RJ.

Don't get me wrong, if I were still there, I'd be writing up inop tray tables at outstations. If your FA O2 tank magically shows slightly low (at an outstation) odds are you'll have to ferry the plane back to ATL/SLC. This is what I meant by "having your hands on the company."

Don't delude yourself into thinking your skills are invaluable, they simply arean't. If anything people who are so highly specialized have limited choices of jobs. This is why I advocate diversifying your skills, so as to make leaving the airlines a viable option if it all becomes too much.

Having said all that, I'm rooting for the ASA pilots to get the solid contract they deserve.

ALPA's pay rate proposal is not high. Just inflation would account for around 12 to 18% depending on who you believe. My accountant said the number is running around 4% yearly. Management's offer, using their own graph, is lower than the market and you did not see the graph for the 200, which would show our rates are below market.

Last edited:
Crash Pad said:
Seems like every other week we hit a taxi light at BTR. I know it's a little thing but the "best dam' pilots in the business" don't make mental errors on taxi in.
Delta did us one better in BTR. They got a 767-300 off in the mud in broad daylight, I believe on both sides of J near B, on Christmas while doing a charter for LSU. Then there have been several F18's go for rides through the weeds. I don't know what it is about that airport, but it is a little place to try to get a 767-300 around on. I feel really sorry for those guys.... unless they green slipped the trip while their buddies are on furlough.

If had been ASA, the safety department would have alleged that they backed in at 180% torque, then continued, after landing without a clearance, with an MP3 player and DVD Display showing Rocky VII. The training department would be preparing slides for publication. At Delta they are much more discreet and professional.

Last edited:
Ok stop with this garbage. Other than PNCL making a smoking hole for no reason who are the bad pilots in the industry.

TELL me you guys aren't talking like this in front of management - not during negotiations.

Oh wait you just did....

It's your contract, not mine, but I do believe that if you can't even convince yourself of your own worth then you're pretty much done with negotiations - no?

Or maybe I'm troll-bait.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back