ASA Profit Margin Second Quarter 2006

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
which SkyWest bought from Delta a week before Delta filed for Chapter 11,
developed the regional sector's best margin from a $43 million profit. SkyWest's
profit margin was lower, but enough to be ranked No. 2. And its operating
income of $47 million was bigger

Golly, SkyWest has twice the planes of ASA. Does that mean ASA's planes make twice as much SkyWest's do?

Regardless of the circumstances ASA pilot find themselves in with the contract,
I don't see it going away anytime soon. It is a fabled cash cow in this day of 1% profit margins while ASA's stay over 4%.

SkyWest boys, if you can't read the writing, your paying not attention. Once ASA comletes their contract and ASA can still post those sorts or margins, you'll be next to fall. Even if it means a union in place there.

Last edited:
Have you considered that Bryan is an evil genius? You have to get beyond the idea that the goal of management is to run the best airline possible. The goal of the management team is to run the most profitable business possible. If you can get away with an underpaid, understaffed, underperforming ramp and still keep your customers, than you are doing a great job and get promoted to President. And if you can string your pilots along through another year of negotiations while paying wages frozen 5 years ago (and convincing a bunch of them that their jobs are at risk), than you are probably doing a good job, too.

It's not about customer service and it sure isn't about the happiness, welfare or satisfaction of your workers. It's all about the money.

Have you considered that Bryan is an evil genius? You have to get beyond the idea that the goal of management is to run the best airline possible. The goal of the management team is to run the most profitable business possible. If you can get away with an underpaid, understaffed, underperforming ramp and still keep your customers, than you are doing a great job and get promoted to President. And if you can string your pilots along through another year of negotiations while paying wages frozen 5 years ago (and convincing a bunch of them that their jobs are at risk), than you are probably doing a good job, too.

It's not about customer service and it sure isn't about the happiness, welfare or satisfaction of your workers. It's all about the money.
thats what I'm sayin'...

thats what I'm sayin'...

Well none of your posts seem to come across this way. If this is the case, seems to me you love the fact that mgmt takes advantage of the workforce in order to make a few more bucks! Don't be a pu$$y and get behind the MEC, which is the only recourse we have to do something about the crappy situation here inwhich you assert, that mgmt is riding the backs of the employee group to pad the profits!

Well none of your posts seem to come across this way. If this is the case, seems to me you love the fact that mgmt takes advantage of the workforce in order to make a few more bucks! Don't be a pu$$y and get behind the MEC, which is the only recourse we have to do something about the crappy situation here inwhich you assert, that mgmt is riding the backs of the employee group to pad the profits!
you and I appear to have gotten a totally different meaning from what was said...

and BTW, I'm neither a pu$$y nor will I "get behind" our MEC. I disagree with most of what they doing.

The key word in your supposition is "Evil". While I don't rule it out, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by opting for incompetence. Maybe you're right. Maybe they are doing exactly what they've set out to do. Maybe his apologetic memo was just part of the scheme to hide their effort to create the worst possible work environment, the worst possible passenger experience, & the worst possible example of the "Spirit of Delta". I know we don't work for Delta, so save your breath. My argument is that LaBreque's responibilities are to more than just the shareholder & the almighty dollar. Call me naieve (I prefer nostalgic) but there are better ways to actually Lead a company. Good management would find a way to take care of their people & their customers, and still turn a healthy profit. (See Southwest, or even the old Delta) Our management wastes millions on incopetence, ineffeciency & apathy alone.

Either way, what they are doing - intentional or incompetent - is nothing to be admired. "Oh Please" is of the mindset that they should be lauded as successful architects of our profitability. I don't give them that much credit. However, if that is the truth - I'm of the opinion they've done it in the sleaziest, laziest, most ethically bankrupt way possible - on the backs my family and yours with no accountability to the people who pay them to go from A to B.

"Oh Please" will now make an argument as to why this is the best one should hope for & that I should just be glad to have a job......

Well, lets consider that the CSG station spends about $60,000 a MONTH delivering late bags. Lets say that it is half that amount, then consider that EVERY one of our stations spends an amount similar to that. How much ADDITIONAL profit would that be if our esteemed "evil genius" leader could just figure out a way to lead? If you really consider his efforts to be the cause if ASA making a profit then you probably need to replace those kneepads.

I don't care what that article says. Those numbers are very misleading and don't tell the whole story. Sure it appears we had a good quarter, but it really wasn't. We need to be more competitive in this industry.

Pilot pay cuts now!

I don't care what that article says. Those numbers are very misleading and don't tell the whole story. Sure it appears we had a good quarter, but it really wasn't. We need to be more competitive in this industry.

Pilot pay cuts now!

The sad thing is, that's exactly what will be said and people will buy management's take on it, even though they have the numbers in black and white.

Latest resources

Back