• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA pilots top 10 list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Class act 'CR7pilot' for naming a name on here. Putz..
Doesn't matter that he might have done it himself or not.
Hes at least 90% right and you know it.

Isnt that cause for banning??

I agree, to a point...

If someone has to use a wheelchair to get around, then make sure they have a wheelchair at the gate or make a call to get one there ASAP. It's one thing to make a customer wait, but when someone in a wheelchair has to wait then they have problems above and beyond what we all have. Get the wheelchair there, put a smile on your face, help them out and then appreciate the fact that you can walk without wheels.

If you are willing to make someone with a disability wait just so you can prove a point then you have bigger issues. I pray I never have to use a wheelchair, but if I do I sure hope it is available when I need to use it. Forget about the comapany and yourself. Think about the person who needs someone to give them a hand. After that, thank God you have the health to fly airplanes, and then think about the contract.

av8tor4239 said:
plug,

Why fill out a RIF when you get the "in range" call from sched? I am not familiar with that one....

AV8,

MW wants as much documentation on this because there are other more appropriate times after the airplane is safely is on the ground to notify the crew to call scheduling.

srjorion said:
If someone has to use a wheelchair to get around, then make sure they have a wheelchair at the gate or make a call to get one there ASAP. It's one thing to make a customer wait, but when someone in a wheelchair has to wait then they have problems above and beyond what we all have. Get the wheelchair there, put a smile on your face, help them out and then appreciate the fact that you can walk without wheels.

If you are willing to make someone with a disability wait just so you can prove a point then you have bigger issues. I pray I never have to use a wheelchair, but if I do I sure hope it is available when I need to use it. Forget about the comapany and yourself. Think about the person who needs someone to give them a hand. After that, thank God you have the health to fly airplanes, and then think about the contract.

SrjOrion,
I respect your concern for people who use wheelchairs and that's a nice attitude to have if you're anyplace other than work. However, this "I'm just glad to be here" attitude is contributing to the problems at ASA. You may be happy with your current working conditions and your QOL, but your fellow pilot may not be. QOL will never improve as long as pilots like you keep doing the station agents' jobs, so in a sense, you're screwing your fellow pilots. If you just want to put a smile on your face and make yourself feel good, do volunteer work at a retirement home on your off days or something, but let the station agents do their work, no matter how long it may take them to get out to the plane. The only way to make the company do what you want is for everybody to stick together and do your job. Only your job.
Midnight

with your wheelchair attitude you will never go far in this profession.

someday, in your twilight years, you will be waiting for a wheelchair at the bottom of a hot jetway or ramp...sitting on your own waste-filled diaper...gasping for breath...and waiting patiently for ANYONE to bring you a means of comfort.

i have retrieved many wheelchairs for people in need. i work for a good company that provides good service. sometimes i get an OPPORTUNITY to contribute and give a lasting impression.

yes, i'm a pilot. yes, i'm a captain. yes, i know your frustrations during tense contract negotiations. i've experienced a few.

you are wise to always remain professional. but never forget that you are providing passenger service. don't make grandma/grandpa/disabled persons suffer anymore than they have with awful retirement and medicare worries. some day your kindness will be repaid.

your other option is to choose to be miserable. sounds like you are. nothing that you have listed will change that. especially the wheelchair idea.

Palomino said:
someday, in your twilight years, you will be waiting for a wheelchair at the bottom of a hot jetway or ramp...sitting on your own waste-filled diaper...gasping for breath...and waiting patiently for ANYONE to bring you a means of comfort.

Sounds like that person has more to worry about than waiting for a wheelchair:p

you are wise to always remain professional. but never forget that you are providing passenger service. don't make grandma/grandpa/disabled persons suffer

Give them one call. That is it. While I agree it is $hitty to make a disabled person wait for a wheelchair, you need to see that it is not ME that is causing their delay. Someone else is supposed to be doing that. I am supposed to be doing a post/preflight. Or getting paperwork. If it is a quick turn, my plate is full. I do not have the time to spare. I will not make it a habit to inconvienience the next full load of pax, while I push someone around in a wheel chair.

Whose fault is it? The wheel chair assist person that can't/won't do their job? Perhaps they don't speak english, or are just plain lazy. Perhaps they are staffed far to short, and are doing the best humanly possible.

Bottom line.... Management needs to take care of this. If you always do CSR's job for them, nothing will change. Disabled PAX will never be helped. Management will try to get by with fewer assistants. You will find that you are unable to do your own duties in a timely fashion. End result, boatloads of pax being delayed, and more humiliated disabled people waiting for assistance.

Make no mistake, I am not advocating the attitude of "it's not my job". When a small station is in a bind, by all means help them out.

However, when every single turn the hub is always "in a bind" I fully advocate stepping back, making one call (via airinc) and letting management figure out that they need to either hire better quality help, or hire more help. Don't board anyone untill the disabled pax is deplaned. After they deplane, take as much time as required to safley conduct your duties. Then, and only then, board the new pax. Ensure the delay goes on the ramp. Only after this repeats itself, day in and day out, will you see the situation improve.

ASA isn't going to change because people aren't calling for wheelchairs. I "wasted" thirty minutes of "my" time the other day waiting with a passenger. There is no way I would have left her there by herself in the jetway. Just realize that ASA is a crummy airline with no concern other than making money. Do the right thing every time for your passengers, and you will have satisfaction. Show up for picketing, vote to strike, and don't take BS from anyone. You will be much happier while looking for another job, plus you will have some great above-and-beyond stories for your next interview.

Delta...

Guys and Gals...

While there was a time that Delta was very concerned and good at customer service...I think that mindset (at least for the time being) is long gone. Let's remember, they just brought MESA into The Delta Connection family.

Good luck in Chandler Land

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back