Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4) Stop calling for wheelchairs. (I know I know it is embarassing to have to
explain to the a pax why their wheelchair is taking 20+ minutes but let them
complain to Delta/ASA. Us complaing hasn't done any good now has it!)

yeah lets make the passengers suffer, that makes sense what a MORON!!!!!!!!!!

Thought this was funny, I stole it from another thread.... but it applies here....

cptn. megadeth said:
Screw the pax....who cares what they know or think. It's not like they are acutally paying anything to fly these days.

Unfortuneatly we have a few pilots here that are quite happy with the status quo in Candler Land. These are the same folks that go to work, fly their trips and go home. They don't care about a new deal, they are content. Not a problem, they are the minority.

Sinca makes some good points, and also some that I don't particularly agree with, but to each their own.

The theme of his post was to not do anything above and beyond what is required, if you do then you fall in to that group that is content with the status quo. There is a catch though, don't be malicious and write up bogus $hit, that'll get you in trouble along with the entire MEC, lawsuits get filed that way.

When I need to call the company (mx, scheduling, etc.) I use only company provided means. In CVG 129.6 works great on the ground. When you get the "call scheduling" in range, write up a RIF when they do that BTW, say good by to your PAX, pack up your bags and go inside to use one of the company provided land lines. If something breaks in flight, first comply with all necessary checklists, contact flight control, etc. then write it up. I can't tell you how many times I have come out to an airplane and had the CA coming off it saying "such and such broke, but I didn't write it up", what kind of $hit is this? If it is broke then it is broke, like I said, don't be malicious about it. Too many folks are concerned with how their actions are going to affect the next flight and next crew. This should not be your concern, and if a CA or FO gives you $hit for giving them an a/c with a write up simply tell them that it is broken and Mx needs to look at it, then walk away.

Oh please mentioned professionalism, I wonder what your definition of professionalism is. Is it flying around with broken $hit for a couple of legs then writing it up at a convenient airport considered professional? Sounds more like a dereliction of duties to me. How about when your sitting in the money line and you are running out of gas, do you pick up your cell and call flight control? That's a violation of the SP's my friend. In fact, talking on your cell phone while on the flight deck at any point, even at the gate, is in violation of the SP's! Have you ever boarded an airplane without the release? It is pretty darn unprofessional to board folks on to possibly the wrong airplane let alone not complying with TSA mandates requiring the On Board Security Coordinator (CA) to verify all crewmembers names and ID's.

Doing my job and being professional is one thing, but doing other people's job and thinking I'm being a professional is simply a facade of a weak professional afraid to rock the boat because they really can't swim. Don't slam Sinca because you think that his actions of following procedure is unprofessional, slam yourself for not being professional because you are not following procedure.

plug,

Why fill out a RIF when you get the "in range" call from sched? I am not familiar with that one....

DrunkIrishman said:
Hey professional, stop throwing stones from that huge glass house you live in!

Sinca3-

Re-read your SP's. You are required to call scheduling about any known problems. What you don't have to do is offer them solutions. Everything else you said is dead on.

How about "gosh I didn't realize until just now that we were out of duty time." If skeds doesn't catch it and it is their job, how were you supposed to know? Finding out if you knew in advance is impossible if you play dumb!

Btw, calling for the wheel chair ONCE is courtesy. Now the people responsible know. If they choose not to do their job, their manager needs to address that, not you.

Last edited:
Btw, calling for the wheel chair ONCE is courtesy. Now the people responsible know. If they choose not to do their job, their manager needs to address that, not you.[/QUOTE]

So it is OK for your family member to miss a connection to a funeral or other important event because you are gonna show the company who is boss. WAY TO GO! you must be a rocket scientist. IT IS NOT THAT BIG A DEAL TO MAKE AN EXTRA CALL. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR THAN QUIT!!!!!
Nobody holding a gun to your head to make you stay. And I am by no means saying the company is right or the contract is right on pace because it is not, by any means it is ridiculous what is happening, however think how you would like your family to be treated. Would you want your family sitting on one of our planes wiht the Captain sitting there with arms folded saying I am not gonna call screw them. Something to think about. Who are you really punishing. OK let it fly.

Midnight Flyer said:
The people who think this pilot has no ethics or is a disgrace are the same people who constantly bitch about how screwed up things are at ASA, then when he gets somethings changed for the better, you reap the benefits of his hard work.
Great post! There is nothing un-ethical about doing your job. The Company has asked us to stop calling for wheelchairs over ops frequency. The lines of communication for Delta's contractor run through the ramp, not through operations. If you need an ASA van, operations can help with that. Calling to swap airplanes and to give crew scheduling a "heads up" probably causes more headaches than it is worth for you and the company. Airplane swaps are usually for maintenance and to try to get more flights out on time. As far as cell phones go, mine never works that great from the airplane and the darn thing loses signal when the windshield heat cycles (watch the amps and watch your cell phone )

Especially if you are calling crew scheduling. First, the always know better than you and if they get caught with their pants down they will run over to operations and get times changed - then you are really screwed.

Let them run their Company, you fly your airplane, you will both be happier. Just be nice to the passengers, greet them at the door if you have time and leave them with a positive impression of the pilots at ASA. With the negotiations end game coming it is a good opportunity to do a little PR and make friends.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
Oh and another thing - do write it up. Those maintenance logs get audited and they look for trends electronically.

A couple nights ago we broke. Maintenance came out and pencil whipped it after simply resetting it ( we had already tried ). as soon as they got to he stairs, DING! So I wrote it up again. They got quite upset that I made another entry. However, they had signed the previous entry off "OPS CHECK GOOD." Well, if its broke, it must have broke again.

Oh, and we were headed for MMTY. The item going DING was not in the MEL / CDL. The airplane would have been stranded, if we had not done our job, even though the Company did not like it much.....

If you are a Captain - be a Captain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back