ASA Pilots: Time to Consider PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

777forever

As we all know ASA is undergoing a major cost reduction program. Apparently we have 2 years to get to our cost number. With the addition of cheaper carriers into DCI as a result of the merger cost will be a bigger issue more than ever

Management has stated that our current line bidding system is very expensive and inefficient, especially the transition from the end of the month to the beginning.

With all the new changes at ASA that has benefited the pilots and increased morale is it time for the pilot group to return the favor by switching to PBS?

With the new pressures industry wide to reduce cost maybe we need to do whatever is possible stop shrinking and possibly even grow.

Because if the current trend continues, I would not be surprised if junior ASA pilots start bailing to Mesaba, especially if they open an ATL base.

Now more than ever, I believe it is important for the pilot group to work together with management to achieve the common goal of the company. We do not want to become the next XJET.

1. Management has stated that our current line bidding system is very expensive and inefficient, especially the transition from the end of the month to the beginning.

2. With all the new changes at ASA that has benefited the pilots and increased morale is it time for the pilot group to return the favor by switching to PBS?

3. With the new pressures industry wide to reduce cost maybe we need to do whatever is possible stop shrinking and possibly even grow.

4. Because if the current trend continues, I would not be surprised if junior ASA pilots start bailing to Mesaba, especially if they open an ATL base.

1. Why didn't management push for it during Section 6? And it is being looked at as per the letter signed during Section 6.

2. HAHAHA. Business is business. I really doubt that pilots are going to just give them PBS as a favor.

3. Ok. How about you start and do the company a "favor" and take a pay cut of oh $4 per hour?

4. That is their choice. It would save the company money.

You are kidding, right? Was there some sort of sarcasm indicator that you missed?

PBS would NOT be an improvement for the overwhelming, vast majority of the pilot group.

If the folks that run the airline want us to operate under a PBS system, they will have to negotiate for it. If pilots are going to take the hit to their quality of life that will come with PBS, then there WILL be something given to the pilot group in return.

This 'do a favor for management' line of thinking is playing with fire...

Vote for it, advance to completely miserable, asap. PBS was the single worst change to SKYW, even worse than the *************************et system for reserve since PBS screws everyone unequally. You guys love BH, great now that he has the kool-aid I.V. inserted he is gonna flip you over and strech your tater to the agony point. Thats the Skywest way, but don't fret, it will just make the decision to get out of aviation less painful. 10+ years of tater streching at SKYW and I can't wait to submit the dream letter for the 2 week countdown.
PBR

Vote for it, advance to completely miserable, asap. PBS was the single worst change to SKYW, even worse than the *************************et system for reserve since PBS screws everyone unequally. You guys love BH, great now that he has the kool-aid I.V. inserted he is gonna flip you over and strech your tater to the agony point. Thats the Skywest way, but don't fret, it will just make the decision to get out of aviation less painful. 10+ years of tater streching at SKYW and I can't wait to submit the dream letter for the 2 week countdown.
PBR

Just being honest, but the overwhelming majority of people I've talked to at Skywest are very happy there. Just very strange to year Skywest and agony mentioned in the same sentence.

ASA could switch to PBS, fly single engine in cruise, take a paycut and work a day for free each month, and it won't stop the flying from going to Pinnacle and Mesaba. Anderson is a Wholly Owned carrier guy, as opposed to Delta's former leadership. ASA has shrunk in the past year, at the expense of Pinnacle's and now Mesaba's growth. I don't see what we can do to stop the slide now. It's funny, every day I see ASA above Pinnacle in performance (despite having 10 times the flights for DCI), yet Pinnacle gets more growth while ASA shrinks. ASA was told no growth during negotiations due to not knowing our future costs, yet Pinnacle continues to grow despite negotioations. Right now, ASA is on the outside looking in at the DCI restructuring, which will only get worse post-merger when 50's start getting parked as they have stated.

That said, I don't think PBS is that big of a deal like a lot of guys who think it is the end of the world.

The PBS program we have at SkyWest absoluetly sucks, it is the most user un-friendly system there is. A PBS program at most airlines is pretty good but the program, AOS, is the cheapest piece of sh!t SkyWest could find. It's a little better than our ould line system but not by much.

If the pilots at ASA are even considering a PBS system, stand firm against the AOS program.

I hear the program used at Northwest is pretty good but I'm not sure wo makes that one.

Rest assured managemnt will try to push AOS because it's cheap but bidding with it is a nightmare!

Tell them you will talk about it, then meet with them hundreds of times. Then after five years ask them how they like dragging things out. Then tell them no.

Latest resources

Back