• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Pilots: Time to Consider PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want to be more productive volunteer to push wheelchairs on thanksgiving week. As for volunteering for the pilot group something like PBS, five years of negotiations was at a cost. Giving up those costs so you can upgrade is selfish. It is interesting to see what you represent. Yourself.

Think about it the pilot group spoke as a collective group you are speaking for your upgrade selling out everyone else. I think this is shameful. I worked at ASA for five years and was there for many of the negotiations years. PBS was a big no then, and should be a big no now. ASA can manage better overlap but they don't, not the pilots responsibility.

I represent myself? I think not. I never mentioned anything about upgrade. Honestly I'm more concerned about holding a line vs. reserve than upgrade right now.

I do not represent myself when almost every ASA pilot wants the company to grow and above all to stop the shrinking.

I'm pretty sure almost every pilot took a pretty significant paycut when most lines were reduced to 75ish hrs.

As far as negotiations go, if we had taken the contract the first time it was offered we would have had 17 900s and wouldn't be in this position right now but that's another story.....

Like another user said, every other DCI carrier has PBS. Management will ask what makes ASA so special? I think eventually we'll be forced to use it. So maybe we should volunteer to switch while we can still get something out of it.

Last edited:
You can put me in the no PBS box too

777 it is very short sighted to think we will be rewarded for anything in terms of a give back or give in.

I am all for making ASA a cost effecient airline, in order to help out our future, but the pilot group did not sign the contract with DAL to be the second lowest DCI carrier, Mr. Atkin did. I asked him first hand what he was thinking with this and he told me flat out he thought it could be achieved, but offered no details. I reminded him we (ASA) were a union carrier and he was pretty silly to think ASA's pilots would roll over. This was during his first meet and greet at ASA after the purchase.

Alot has changed but some things will never. Please look at Comair as a prime example of being promised something and getting nothing.

Don' be a sucker, ASA/Skywest Inc. is counting on it.

By the way IF it came to it, ASA has the first right of refusal to meet a requirment of cost for future growth, before DAL can pull the plug on our 15yr contract.

Skywest shareholders would not like the result.

Also, why is our holding company investing in ASA making capital improvements all over the place if our future is so bleak?

Medeco

Last edited:
777 it is very short sighted to think we will be rewarded for anything in terms of a give back or give in.

I am all for making ASA a cost effecient airline, in order to help out our future, but the pilot group did not sign the contract with DAL to be the second lowest DCI carrier, Mr. Atkin did. I asked him first hand what he was thinking with this and he told me flat out he thought it could be achieved, but offered no details. I reminded him we (ASA) were a union carrier and he was pretty silly to think ASA's pilots would roll over. This was during his first meet and greet at ASA after the purchase.

Alot has changed but some things will never. Please look at Comair as a prime example of being promised something and getting nothing.

Don' be a sucker, ASA/Skywest Inc. is counting on it.

By the way IF it came to it, ASA has the first right of refusal to meet a requirment of cost for future growth, before DAL can pull the plug on our 15yr contract.

Skywest shareholders would not like the result.

Also, why is our holding company investing in ASA making capital improvements all over the place if our future is so bleak?

Medeco

Very true, when management negotiated the contract they should have planned to align cost to be the 2nd lowest even with our current bidding system.

I think you're right, guess that's why cost saving measures are being researched at other departments.

Skywest is investing ALOT of capital in ASA. The new A-tech looks great (being painted in Delta colors makes me kinda skeptical on future growth outside DAL)

Overall me and many others are hoping management can pull this cost reduction effort off successfully and prevent Mesaba and Compass from raiding our flying.

DCI overall will shrink but ATL is set to grow under the New Delta. Contractually ASA/Skywest should get a piece of that pie, at least 80% of it.

1. I represent myself? I think not. I never mentioned anything about upgrade. Honestly I'm more concerned about holding a line vs. reserve than upgrade right now.

I do not represent myself when almost every ASA pilot wants the company to grow and above all to stop the shrinking.

I'm pretty sure almost every pilot took a pretty significant paycut when most lines were reduced to 75ish hrs.

2. As far as negotiations go, if we had taken the contract the first time it was offered we would have had 17 900s and wouldn't be in this position right now but that's another story.....

3. Like another user said, every other DCI carrier has PBS. Management will ask what makes ASA so special? I think eventually we'll be forced to use it. So maybe we should volunteer to switch while we can still get something out of it.

1. I, I and I.

2. If you really think this ask the CMR guys about the growth they were promised. ZERO, they were cut.

3. Is this your code word for FAVOR? Are you the type that has to be just like everyone else? Every airline is different. What works for one may not work another.

My crystal ball says that in 2 years, the same time the DCI agreement and the current contract is amendable (that's the reason the company went from 5 years straight to 3 years duration), ASA will have approx 1000 pilots on their list. Look at Air Wiskey.

Wait Texx,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been predicting big things ahead for ASA?

I thought that was the tone of many of your posts. Now you say you think we'll lose over 600 pilots?

777, I think you spent too much time on the ATR flying with JoeyMerchant. ;) Don't fall for that crap. PBS is a nightmare, and you shouldn't give them anything without something in return.

Oh, and 79%, I don't know where you're getting this idea that Pinnacle is such a growth machine, but Pinnacle is smaller today after getting the Delta flying that it was when I left a couple years ago. Pinnacle has been stagnant for a long time.

Wait Texx,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been predicting big things ahead for ASA?

I thought that was the tone of many of your posts. Now you say you think we'll lose over 600 pilots?

I think if you look at my past posts you will see many different predictions on people leaving but as for the "predicting big things" you may have misunderstood the post about the tail platforms being moved further back as big.

IMO, ASA will not grow. Growth means increasing airframes. Just like DAL offered 1 900 for 2 50s. That is not growth.

Last edited:
PBS on the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Gathering in Las Vegas, NV, our ASA MEC met last week to conduct regular business and participate in a week-long ALPA Board of Directors meeting that concluded this week.
Throughout the regular session, members of the MEC received detailed reports from several committee chairmen. This afforded a chance for the MEC to direct future efforts on the part of each committee. We’ll provide updates on those reports and findings in upcoming editions of the Connection.
The one area of concentration most likely to peak everyone’s interest is in the field of a Preferential Bidding System (PBS). We reported to you in the last Connection email that the MEC PBS Working Group (PWG) was reaching the end of their research, to determine whether or not a PBS system would improve the quality of life for all ASA pilots as well as enhance the productivity of the company. The MEC received a detailed report from the Pilot Working Group (PWG).
It is clear that the PWG, during numerous meetings, compiled extensive research and knowledge on the available PBS systems and their practical application. It is the PWG’s recommendation to the MEC that PBS can in fact improve the quality of life for ASA pilots if an adequate PBS application is selected and appropriate parameters and controls are established and managed by ALPA pilots.
In result of these findings, and at the request of ASA management to enter in negotiations regarding PBS, the ASA MEC drafted and unanimously passed resolution 08-14.

Latest resources

Back