• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA performance as of late...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah most say that as a way to say I'm not a control freak, but they would probably also like you to extend the courtesy and respect of the guy/girl in the left seat, something that is sadly lacking in our realm of the profession.

I agree that A14 probably is more important, but to my knowledge the company has not spelled that out.

Medeco

Asked a LCA on a line check and he said A14 over CI.

So the CI on my dispatch release has already factored in the late fuel truck, late boarding, extra bags, no catering, etc...?

Sweet.

-Brett

You guys do realize that the CI stuff takes A14 into account when giving you the speeds to fly right???

Are you sure about that? I was told CI is only programmed to optimize cost and is not able to adjust for A14, etc. Has this changed or was I told wrong?

Yeah most say that as a way to say I'm not a control freak, but they would probably also like you to extend the courtesy and respect of the guy/girl in the left seat, something that is sadly lacking in our realm of the profession.

I agree that A14 probably is more important, but to my knowledge the company has not spelled that out.

Medeco

Concur, on both points.

Don't make the Captain "be the Captain" to address your own unprofessional, immature actions, and you will get along with most of the Captains out there just fine. There are a few that don't act this way, but in my experience, most of the Captains at ASA are primarily interested in getting the pairing accomplished and in the log book with a minimum of drama and paperwork.

We all know that A14 is supposed to take into account all conditions and factors affecting the flight, but it would be quite helpful to get some guidance from the company as to which is more important when there is a choice: A14 (and the succeeding D0), or, the potential fuel savings attributed to flying the CI profiles as close as possible.

My $.02 on this is that it is not a mx issue. I know that there is an organizing effort going on, and I know that the line mx guys seem to want something different than the mx guys that live in the hangar, but I haven't experienced anything that makes me belive that it is a mx/contract issue. Most of the mx guys that I've talked to about this issue have been professional and have not overtly done or supported anything that would negatively impact the company. Next time you have a minute, ask one of them what they think. At the very least, you might get one person's opinion.

I am convinced, however, that our recent performance slide is an issue with the people providing service to the aircraft. Cold weather, start of basketball season, winter blues, whatever, but the stuff that needs to be done to the flights out on time just isn't getting done as efficiently as it needs to be. The ground crews need some more adult supervision, I think.

We all know that A14 is supposed to take into account all conditions and factors affecting the flight, but it would be quite helpful to get some guidance from the company as to which is more important when there is a choice: A14 (and the succeeding D0), or, the potential fuel savings attributed to flying the CI profiles as close as possible.

Everything I've heard says A14 is king, even at the expense of CI fuel saving. That is the number that DOT looks at and primarily how we are measured against our competitors.

You guys do realize that the CI stuff takes A14 into account when giving you the speeds to fly right???
Unfortunately, that is incorrect. The CI is simply a ratio of all time related costs (crew, a/c mx, etc.) divided by fuel costs. There is no way for this number to take into account whether the rampers are still loading bags at D+10. While it would be nice to get some official guidance on when to fly slow/fast, I think we don't because management knows it's primarily a judgement call on whether A-14 is possible or not. Since management has given us tools to measure our A-14 success yet not our company fuel burn, it stands to reason that A-14 is most important.

So if you're running late, but think A-14 is within a couple minutes of obtainable, then flying fast is warranted. Just remember that the difference between Mach .74 and Mach .80 will only be two or three minutes over the course of a moderately long flight. (I know this is a fact, I've experimented with it). I find it helps to always put my best estimate of wheels up time in the ETD field on Perf Init Page 3. That way, the FMS MFD display will give me a pretty good landing time estimate, and I can decide if a couple minutes faster will make the difference in making A-14 or not. If not, I go for the gas savings.

As an aside, I find it puzzling that so many captains tell their FO's, "I'll fly my leg the way I want, you fly yours the way you want." It's obvious they don't want to seem like a control freak, yet it reminds me of parents who completely avoid child discipline so they will be liked by their kids. Geez! It is possible to ensure the airplane is flown with safety and efficiency in mind (the way the company wants and pays you to) without being a jerk. Captains, it's your job!

I agree the captains need to step up in the intial brief. Unfortunatly, it is a fine line requiring tact that few have, in being able to assert your expectations without coming across as an a$$. My brief to FO's is still a work in progress, and much more serious than 90% of the ones I recieved as an FO for 5 years.

I think, CRM training has alot to do with this problem, add in a group of people who have rarely been put in their place, and you get a bad combo.

Latest resources

Back