• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA PBS = No more CDO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Problem is, Papazolio is drooling all over himself because you clowns are gonna be working as many days as he is. The GO really would prefer everyone flying 3:52, seven days per week. 'Cause hey- it's only fair... They HATE pilots and that's the bottom line. Everyone does. I say %$^( them and fly safely.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is what it is all about...

Why would everybody flying guarantee be the cheapest solution for mgmt? Throw in ancillary costs per pilot like health care, parking, badges, retirement and most of all training and you'd think they'd want to work every pilot flying 100 hour block months while crediting as close to 100hrs as possible.

Hence understaffing.

And PBS is not the problem, it's the pairings! (I figured I'd say it too)

...How would a line bidding system have better trips in it, or would all the lines be 12-13 days off with 75 hrs of credit pre-built into them? I'm not arguing, I want to be educated so I can join your side.

How many pairings were there per month pre PBS compared to now? If there are significantly more then with the same amount of flying there would be less credit per pairing.
This IS a direct result of PBS and it's so called efficiencies. They can fit in pairings with regular line holders were they couldn't before and they can create more lines due to the lack of need for so many reserves.
I'm not so sure about the CDOs they could be gone also because of PBS/current staffing or it could be they cost the company too much but I just have one question about that. Why didn't they get rid of CDO's a long time ago? And also about the low credit pairings, if it was because of the short leg length then why didn't the ATR have low credit lines?

Last edited:
We should start a thread for all of the aspiring airline pilots out there called "You've been warned". Simply put, it's a list all of the ways we've been raped by the industry over the years.

And also about the low credit pairings, if it was because of the short leg length then why didn't the ATR have low credit lines?

The ATR is much much slower than the jet. 17 hr 200 trips equal 20-22 hr ATR trips. MYR-ATL or GNV-ATL were longhauls on the ATR.

Last edited:
The ATR is much much slower than the jet. 17 hr 200 trips equal 20-22 hr ATR trips. MYR-ATL or GNV-ATL were longhauls on the ATR.

When I flew the ATR at ASA, the ATR block times were only about 10-15 minutes longer per leg than the jet to places like VPS, PFN, and MGM. Not sure how you come up with 3-5 hours per trip. Just saying.

When I flew the ATR at ASA, the ATR block times were only about 10-15 minutes longer per leg than the jet to places like VPS, PFN, and MGM. Not sure how you come up with 3-5 hours per trip. Just saying.

Ok. Lets say their are 16 legs in an average 4 day trip(4 legs a day). 16 legs x15 minutes extra per leg= 240 min extra pay per trip = 4 hours

4 hrs added to each pairing in March would definitely help some schedules get complete don't ya think?

Here's some hard numbers I just looked up from past trips.

ATL-GNV was blocked at 1:40 on the ATR, and 1:15 on the 200. I know the numbers fluctuate depending on the time of day etc etc, but for the most part the most numbers will still show the jet faster by a considerable margin.

Last edited:
Ok. Lets say their are 16 legs in an average 4 day trip(4 legs a day). 16 legs x15 minutes extra per leg= 240 min extra pay per trip = 4 hours

4 hrs added to each pairing in March would definitely help some schedules get complete don't ya think?

Here's some hard numbers I just looked up from past trips.

ATL-GNV was blocked at 1:40 on the ATR, and 1:15 on the 200. I know the numbers fluctuate depending on the time of day etc etc, but for the most part the most numbers will still show the jet faster by a considerable margin.

Here is a hint:

We had tons of NAPS! Also, lots of DAY LINES, and even TWO DAYS, even the much-fabled THREE DAY TRIP! Stage length is a smokescreen. The distribution of pairings is a much more important issue. Leaving the task of pairing construction and distribution of trips completely up to the company was a huge, glaring hole they could have driven the Queen Mary through.

-The new clowns think naps are too expensive. So we all get to take it high and hard. PBS is crap without a good cross-section of trips to make it all work out.

-Once again, you are missing the forest for the trees, 777. The entire spectrum of trips we fly, and the way the are distributed his changed drastically, (and more based on our new mgmt's hatred of naps) and we sure will pay the price by letting them "go live" right up our asses on this one. The trips we have for March are incompatible with a decent PBS solution, no matter who has "learned to bid" and who hasn't. I think it will be one heck of a mess for an awful lot of our list.

Last edited:
And BH says he is going to look into it and see that it gets fixed, yet...........................?????????

March = EPIC MELTDOWN

Latest resources

Back