• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA parking planes???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But the real problem is that in the USA, we are at the very least starting to change the way we operate. Large trucks and SUV sales are plunging. More hybrids going into production. People changing driving habits, looking into alternative fuels, etc....

This IS NOT happening in India and China! Also, many governments are subsidizing oil keeping it cheaper for those countries to develop, build roads, expand, etc. If they don't change and adapt to the soaring demand, yes.....we will never get out of this.

I agree with crash pad, though. I see 20-30 aircraft as only a start. When the price of a ticket gets to where it will need to be at $150-175/barrel or higher, Ma and Pa middle america will not be able to afford a ticket. Capacity will be dropped to meet this reduced demand. Flying the 50's out of the mid and small markets will be dropped drastically.

So what if they do? Will anyone be surprised? I won't. And who will be affected? Some 700 hr wonders who think the world revolves around them?

Take a deep breath....ok, now go see your doctor so you can get a refill of those pills he prescribed you!
Maybe, you should try yoga as well...

Do you feel that the world hates you in you little airplane, huh?

So what if they do? Will anyone be surprised? I won't. And who will be affected? Some 700 hr wonders who think the world revolves around them?

While I would agree the Y generation thinks things should come to them immediately, your being a bit of D!ck dont yah think?

Medeco

Were not "parking" airplanes. Just the usual winter block hour drop. We will just have a few more spare aircraft than we do with our summer flying.

Waaaaay more. People, wake up! If you are a junior Captain, prepare to be an FO again. If you are holding a decent paying line, look at making much less block or being on reserve again. It is not going to be status quo in this industry! And, the regionals will not grow again at the expense of mainline carriers. We will be cut back as much or more.

Waaaaay more. People, wake up! If you are a junior Captain, prepare to be an FO again. If you are holding a decent paying line, look at making much less block or being on reserve again. It is not going to be status quo in this industry! And, the regionals will not grow again at the expense of mainline carriers. We will be cut back as much or more.

ASA is just under 5 crews per aircraft (using the August assignments). If it is a straight downgrade of 5 captains per aircraft, it wouldn't take too many (roughly 25) to make the late fall '07 upgrades going back to the right seat.

I agree with you N1... The 200s have got to go, but to what extent will our contact preserve our operation? We have minimum block hour clauses and guaranteed 80% of regional flying out of Atlanta. Thats good for something right?

If the airlines think oil speculation is bad, they ought to come and check out this thread. Way outta hand in this one.

Why do the 200's have to go? Some of them yes, but not all. You can not run a VLD or MGM flight on all 700's and hope to make a profit. The airlines need the ability to restrict seats in a market and yet still serve it. As companies like Airtran start to pull capacity out then the fares start to go up. Remember after 9-11 when the mainlines were flying around with 30 pax on a 737? The same thing would happen today if they were to pull all of the 200's and replace them with mainline. Now answer this, which is more cost effective, a 737 with 50, or an Rj with 30? My bet is on the Rj. Quit with all of the freaking out. ASA will be fine. We control the worlds largest hub with 60% of all operations in ATL. We aren't going anywhere. (hopefully?)

Latest resources

Back