• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA No Flap Ldg in SBN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Max tire speed is 182. So hopefully it is lower than that.

At max landing weight the ref speed is less than Vtire, unless you land down wind or above MLO.

My first 0 degree landing (first flight for the CRJ to ATW) was nerve racking but uneventful. The next several 0 to <20 degree flap fail landings became SOP.

How do you know the FO wasn't the one that landed?

Guess I shouldn't assume that.

I'm not an airline pilot; if there is an emergency (of any magnitude) and the captain is the PNF on the leg would he typically take control of the aircraft? What is usually done in this sort of instance in a 121 enviornment?

Guess I shouldn't assume that.

I'm not an airline pilot; if there is an emergency (of any magnitude) and the captain is the PNF on the leg would he typically take control of the aircraft? What is usually done in this sort of instance in a 121 enviornment?

Not always the case...

I'm a relatively new hire on the a/c I fly, but I've already had two flights with recent captain upgrades where I've had more time in the airplane than the captain that I was flying with. In both cases each of the captains told me that if something went wrong, and I was flying the aircraft well, they would let me continue to be the pilot flying while they handled everything else. I don't know if it is taught that way, but it makes sense: if you are not flying the airplane, you have more mental capacity available to handle the abnormal/emergency situation.

:D
Not always the case...

I'm a relatively new hire on the a/c I fly, but I've already had two flights with recent captain upgrades where I've had more time in the airplane than the captain that I was flying with. In both cases each of the captains told me that if something went wrong, and I was flying the aircraft well, they would let me continue to be the pilot flying while they handled everything else. I don't know if it is taught that way, but it makes sense: if you are not flying the airplane, you have more mental capacity available to handle the abnormal/emergency situation.

Yes this is generally considered to be a good procedure since multiple-crew airplanes have been around. Unless it is a no-flap or other thing that I don't trust you with.

Last edited:
I was on an ASA flight a couple of months ago that did a no flapper into YYZ. Captain did an outstanding job explaining the situation to the passengers; what to expect (shallower approach, higher speed, agressive braking, fire engines etc). Flight attendant did an extra strict job securing the cabin.

Absolute professionalism on both sides of the cockpit door from this ASA crew.

Captain greased the landing too.

That was my flight and I can say it was just like the sim. Couldn't ask for a better day. Clear and a mil and a long runway. Flaps zero.
To answer another question about that, FOs don't train for no flap landings (don't know why) so the CA did the landing. (at least at ASA)

When I had my no flapper in the ERJ, I was an FO and I did the landing as it was my leg. Of course the captain let me know in clear terms that if I started screwing up, the show was over for me. Everything went ok and we kind of talked eachother through it. I was thinking out loud on everything so that he would be able to see what I was thinking/planning on doing next...and he gave advice on the approach as we came down.

Don't know about other carriers but at ASA the Captains are the only ones who do no flap landings in the Sim. So it would make sense that they would do them in the aircraft.

FO's have to do it in the sim here.

Latest resources

Back