• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA No Flap Ldg in SBN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, "I" didn't disarm them. They were disarmed somehow by the new guy I had with me, I assume during the after takeoff check when he was switching the reversers off. So, yes, it's my fault I didn't see the status message, especially after the flaps failed on approach. Then again, it was a CHA-ATL flight, so it's not like I flew around for 2 hours without noticing the message. Either way, I think "idiot" might be a bit harsh. Come to think of it, "ASAhole" might be a bit harsh also. Admittedly, I misspoke in my first post when I said "forgot to arm", so I understand the confusion. Then again, you might be just be a turd. Who knows?

A turd that notices where the GLD sw. is at...

Per part 25, the minimum ref speed for the certification of a transport category aircraft is 1.23 times VSO. That means if you have a 135kt ref and likely a min approach speed of 140, then you have a stall speed no higher than 110 kts, which is a 30 kt spread.

I have a lot of approaches at lower weights after coming from Houston to Boise or somewhere far that are in the 1 teens..apprch speed of say 117 or 119. The 135's also have lots of cases where the speeds are low like that. That would be about 18 or 19 knots above Vso....sorry it isn't 15. It was a guess...a ballpark number. My bad. Forgive me please.

This seems to be a fairly common occourence lately. I did one in 920 about a week ago.

The CRJ has some serious flap issues.

In the past 2 years, there have been more diversions due to "FLAP FAIL" than there have been due to weather.

Inasmuch as we carry alternate fuel to satify the FAR 91 requirement in case of diversion, shouldn't we be also carrying extra fuel for the more likely contingency?

Proposed FAR amendment for CRJ operators:
FAR 91.xxx IFR fuel requirements "Fly to the planned destination, miss the approach, then fly to a VFR airport with at least a 10,000 ft runway in case of flap failure"

I was on an ASA flight a couple of months ago that did a no flapper into YYZ. Captain did an outstanding job explaining the situation to the passengers; what to expect (shallower approach, higher speed, agressive braking, fire engines etc). Flight attendant did an extra strict job securing the cabin.

Absolute professionalism on both sides of the cockpit door from this ASA crew.

Captain greased the landing too.

I was on an ASA flight a couple of months ago that did a no flapper into YYZ. Captain did an outstanding job explaining the situation to the passengers; what to expect (shallower approach, higher speed, agressive braking, fire engines etc). Flight attendant did an extra strict job securing the cabin.

Absolute professionalism on both sides of the cockpit door from this ASA crew.

Captain greased the landing too.

How do you know the FO wasn't the one that landed?

Proposed FAR amendment for CRJ operators:
FAR 91.xxx IFR fuel requirements "Fly to the planned destination, miss the approach, then fly to a VFR airport with at least a 10,000 ft runway in case of flap failure"

where's the fun in that? a zero-flap to 31 in LGA at night, now that's a good time.

truth be told, the winds were 310 @ 30, so it felt just like a normal approach. Captain greased it too.

Latest resources

Back