• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA new uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASADFW7: If you re-read this thread it doesn't appear that anyone has any problem with the ball-cap.

Everyone agreed that the baseball cap was just fine -- once the cockpit door is closed.

ASADFW7 said:
I fly for ASA and wear a ball cap as well. In the 10K plus hours of flying over 3/4 have been with a ball cap on my head, to keep the sun out of my eyes. If that is unprofessional then safety is unprofessional. Lighten up is right, it is just a job. I am not doing the walk around in the ball cap, or standing at the door saying hello or gbye with it on. I have had it on my head with the FAA onboard, the chief pilot on board, and my Mother in the back. And I will keep on wearing it till I retire, get fired, or quit.

Talk about lighten up!! No one including myself has said don't wear a ball cap. We are saying don't wear one in view of the passengers!

ekuflyer said:
By the way to the napper in ATL who always has his sleeves rolled up, I just can't belive he thinks that looks professional. Why has'nt Pro Standards stepped in.

If he bothers you that much why don't you go rat him out yourself?

We need the uniform nazi out here!!!

Seriously, he may have ticked some people off, but the DFW group looked professional.

FishandFly said:
We need the uniform nazi out here!!!

Seriously, he may have ticked some people off, but the DFW group looked professional.

Bingo.

I'm glad this post was started, got me back in the right frame of mind for wearing my uniform. THANKS! :D

I have been not wearing my hat, well because, I HATE THAT THING! But after reading these posts it shines a new light on why to wear it, thank you again.

To add to the discussion, does anyone feel it is "unprofessional" for those pilots that do wear the complete uniform but are so "large" it just looks bad no matter what? I really don't care what someone else does or looks like as long as I get home safely to my wife and kids, but I think this brings up an interesting point.

I don't want to step on any toes here and I have no feelings either way, but it is discussion I have heard from other pilots/FAs in crew rooms about how bad so and so looks and it wasn't just useless banter.

Just food for thought. Carry on!

ekuflyer said:
Why has'nt Pro Standards stepped in.
Because Pro Standards is not the "Hat and Shoe Shine Committee." Besides on the whole, I think the ASA pilot group looks very professional, especially when compared with other Regional Carriers. If the Comair guys were not afraid to get out of their airplanes in Atlanta, perhaps we could take some notes on how few of those guys have hats, but more importantly...

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests -- we did. But you can't hold a whole pilot group responsible for the actions of a few sick, perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole airspace system? And if the whole airspace system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our institutions in general? I put it to you ... isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
If the Comair guys were not afraid to get out of their airplanes in Atlanta, perhaps we could take some notes on how few of those guys have hats, but more importantly...

WTF are you talking about??? I haven't been there too much lately, but in the heyday, my crews and I were all too happy to get out of the tube and cozy up in one of y'all's lazy-boyz...hat and all! I guess being former military, I take a bit of pride in the uniform. But, I'm also keen to loosen up once the door is closed.

You guys should come relax in our lounge once in a while...never seen any ASA in there. At least we have a wireless network you could enjoy for your stay....and a movie theatre style popcorn popper! The only hang-up I guess would be getting around on the SIDA, though.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to the low profile the Comair guys seem to be keeping in ATL since passing the pay freeze proposal.

"3 hour break? I think I'll stay on the airplane."

I think you guys are missing his point. This gentleman was giving you his perception of what he saw as a PASSENGER....no, a CUSTOMER.

Try and put yourself in their shoes. Joe and Cindy Vacationer who travel once a year climb aboard this tiny little airplane. They're petrified. They don't travel often and, quite frankly, this is all new to them. They've been frightened and harassed by security and then grouped together like cattle and loaded (sans jetway) onboard this contraption. They wouldn't be here if it wasnt the quickest easiest way to get to Wally-World.....
Furloughed Again

Furloughed, you hit the nail on the head with that post. Bottom line, we can think whatever we wish about mgmt. and our issues with those incompetents, but the pax are unfortunately necessary for our continued employment.
Not meaning to dump on the naysayers (having sweated in the E110, DHC-7, and E120 for YEARS) but I would bet that when you guys were hired, you very enthusiastically embraced company uniform policy, as you did the pay structure. Wear what you wish OUT of public view, but keep in mind the fact that you are very closely watched by John Q. Public and first impressions indeed do go a long way...

Latest resources

Back