• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA new uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree completely that when we are flying we need to be comfortable. When you get up front, take off the tie and lanyard and undo the top button if that makes you more comfortable. I do it myself most of the time. But when I leave the flight deck, everything goes back on and I wear the proper uniform. Ball caps are not part of the uniform. Ties are. You should be wearing the proper uniform whenever you are in view of the customers.

Pinnacle has loads of pilots that refuse to wear the uniform. The MEM base is especially bad. Not hat, no tie, no jacket during the winter months, black sneakers, dockers, etc... Are the guys that do this still good pilots? In most cases they are. I fly with them and they are just as good a stick as anyone else. You and I as pilots know this. The flying public does not. To them, a pilot that looks unprofessional is unprofessional. The public may be paying only $99 to go coast to coast, but they are still the customer. They deserve to have a professional looking crew flying their flight.

If you want to be paid and treated like a professional, then start looking and acting like one.

I do look professional, just as a matter of personal pride.

Furloughed, Well said. In all these uniform threads the one common factor should be personal pride. I certainly don't agree with the policies every airline since dereg has employed to screw another airline just for more market share and passengers. I have no control over that.

However, I will take pride in the way every passenger perceives me. That is completely up to me. So for that reason, I wear my hat when in public view, I shine my shoes from the vendors every once in a while, and I'll even point out the right direction to those who sometimes need directions finding their nose, not to mention baggage claim. I'll even do it with a smile (especially if she's good lookin').

I personally don't loosen the noose once the door is closed, just a personal thing, but a hat on the noggin isn't bad once that door is closed.

RAV

Last edited:
ekuflyer said:
How about this.

take a job for $18,000/yr. .

You took the job for that money too, like all the regional pilots did, so that's obviously not the problem. Forking over 70 grand maybe, but that's not where the problem should be attacked. I think it's simply supply, demand, and covering costs. And management is not doing their part with the ticket prices.
So lets stop pointing fingers at "those kids", because almost everybody here was one of them at some point (taking a low paying job, nott the 70 gran part, that's just plain stupidity).

Discaimer: I hate PFT programs, so I'm not defending those in any way.

If your going to get comfortable in the cockpit, wait until the door is closed and compose yourself during taxi in.

Flechas said:
You took the job for that money too, like all the regional pilots did, so that's obviously not the problem. Forking over 70 grand maybe, but that's not where the problem should be attacked. I think it's simply supply, demand, and covering costs. And management is not doing their part with the ticket prices.
So lets stop pointing fingers at "those kids", because almost everybody here was one of them at some point (taking a low paying job, nott the 70 gran part, that's just plain stupidity).

Discaimer: I hate PFT programs, so I'm not defending those in any way.

When I took the job I didn't plan on staying here for 5 years. That is a known fact now.
Its like people who started smoking 30 years ago. They didn't know how deadly it is. But people who start smoking now, knowing what we know now?

So what do yuo suggest those kids do, stay at their CFI job, making less, no benefits, less job security. C'mon, if you want to encourage someone to do that, why don't you show some balls and quit your job, just because it doesn't pay enough. And as you mentioned it, you may have to stay ther for the rest of your life, not like the ones that didn't know.

Flechas said:
if you want to encourage someone to do that, why don't you show some balls and quit your job, just because it doesn't pay enough. And as you mentioned it, you may have to stay ther for the rest of your life, not like the ones that didn't know.
Well I would do that but for the last year and a half I been putting my balls on the line to protect your right to say things like this. Keep up the good work.

ekuflyer said:
Well I would do that but for the last year and a half I been putting my balls on the line to protect your right to say things like this. Keep up the good work.

This is not a personal attack to you, it's just that everybody that has a job wants the others that don't not to take one, just so they can get a better pay. How selfish is that, we all need to make a living, you can't expect someone to keep a worse job so yours can improve, will never happen.
Fla safe!

Do whatever you want (uniform-wise) once the door is closed. In public view, you should wear the proper uniform. We all know what the uniform requirements are when we sign up for the job. If you don't like it, go find something else to do.

Latest resources

Back