ASA new uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dvmthwsvan

So today I was non-rev'ing back to Cincy on an ASA flight. As I boarded the plane, I glanced in at the pilots and to my surprise the FO is wearing a ball cap. I thought that was odd but then after we were all ready to go and waiting on the papers the CA gets up to get a cup of coffee. And I could not believe my eyes again, he had no tie on and his shirt undone a couple of buttons. I mean come on guys. I hope y'all aren't like this regularly. It was the most unprofessional looking crew I had ever seen. Not what you want to see at 6 in the morning as a passenger. I can only imagine what they were thinking.

Dave

Get a life!

If we regional drivers cared half as much about our quality of life as our appearance and looking professional, even though we're not paid as such, we might have livable working wages and conditions.

When's the last time you thought: I my god, I wonder what my surrounding passengers think of what our F/O is getting paid to put our lives in his/her hands?

Have you seen some of the naps at ASA? Did it occur to you that maybe this crew was up all night and was rolling up their sleeves to get the job done?

Although I wouldn't have written this on a public forum, I do think it very unproffessional for a crew member to be out of uniform when in the public eye. Especially on the flight they are working. Atleast attemp to look proffessional ie: put your tie ON and don't where a ball cap in the cabin while in uniform. We all are going to have our "pig pins" and the pax know that, but a total lack of care for your apperance while in uniform is lazy and sloppy.
I am not the nazi! I just don't like when my fellow team members make me look bad.

Wake up Alice you're still in Wonderland!!! First off the baseball cap is a very good idea while you are flying. The amout of sun on our face is crazy, and can't be that healthy for you. Blinding up all the windows is also a option, but none of us do that!!! :)
And after a 11-13hr work day at any job most people would yank that tie off, unbutton and roll the sleave up!!

Lawrence: Hey Peter, check it out, channel 9, it's the breast exams!

Captain Caveman has hit the nail on the head! Management always focuses on the things that are meaningless, hoping to distract us from the things that matter! A baseball hat on does not affect my qol, but management's constant violation of the contract, and constant bad faith negotiation does! Fight the real enemy.

Sinca I agree, when in public you should wear your uniform properly! But when I get in the plane, and want to be relaxed. And if that means unbutton and rolling them up. So what!! I am in my office, however when leaving the plane you should wear it like its suppose to be. On that note I see some companies that seem to try and drive this in with a stake. No hat on, thats a letter in your file. We should hold them to the same standards.
Speed tape all over the planes, plane smells, paint is chipping all over. Now the public is waking up to airplanes that are dirty, trey tables MEL'ed overhead compartments taped up. Wow that looks professional. I am sure some people want to try and be as proffesional as possible, but can you really call 20k a year a proffesional job with the treatment that goes along with it?

I don't think the way management treats us and looking professional are in any way related.

If you insist on tieing the 2 together, consider this:

The intentional disregard of the uniform code on the part of our pilots is no different than the intentional disregard of the contract on the part of scheduling.

Don't give the company ANY free ammo here people.

Sinca3 said:
Atleast attemp to look proffessional ie: put your tie ON and don't where a ball cap in the cabin while in uniform.

I agree with that - while wandering in terminals or dh'ing in the cabin or even making the walk of shame back to the lav. But in the cockpit is a different story. I think the baseball hat is a great idea. And those 2 to 3 1/2 hour legs? You bet my tie comes off and the choke collar is undone. If I'm going to fly a 8 hour block day, I'm sure as heck going to be as comfortable as possible!

1. I took a cockpit defense course last month. Step one: remove your tie and any ID lanyards when you get in your seat. Clip-on's are a different matter, but regular ties are a distinct vulnerability in any self defense situation.

2. Delta used to have it in their book that they could wear ball caps in the cockpit. Still there G.L.?

Latest resources

Back