• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA new uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ball caps sure beat the amount of professionalism shown by papering the cockpit with Jepp charts to try to keep the sun out of one's eyes.

Since you were non-reving to CVG, my guess is that you might be one of the Comair guys who voted for the concessions. As such, I understand your viewpoint - the image matters more than the substance of the profession.

ASA has front end loaded "high speeds" where you get to duty in at say 20:00 for a round trip, which is always delayed back into ATL, then an airplane swap at midnight to depart on another round trip which comes back at 6 to 10 in the morning. Like other people have written, most people loosen their neck ties after a 14 hour day in the office ( which often turns into 16 hours ).

If you don't want to see professionals engaged in their profession you are welcome to drive your rusted out, powder blue 100,000+ mile Civic Hatch Back with the Riddle stickers on it to CVG, or are you the guy with the new 3 Series BMW and the Delta Academy stickers?

I'm glad you did not see an ATR crew with most of their clothes off to fly an airplane with a 134 degree cockpit in August. (There is a reason they put a cargo compartment between the crew and the passengers) You would have needed therapy.

Of course I am yanking your chain. But, in all seriousness, ASA had a couple of pilots, mostly in Dallas, who passed out due to heat exhaustion in the E120 and if memory serves, their neckties were in the fully tightened position. One went into the training department and now interviews new hires. He did finally get his medical back.

Last edited:
I think you guys are missing his point. This gentleman was giving you his perception of what he saw as a PASSENGER....no, a CUSTOMER.

Try and put yourself in their shoes. Joe and Cindy Vacationer who travel once a year climb aboard this tiny little airplane. They're petrified. They don't travel often and, quite frankly, this is all new to them. They've been frightened and harassed by security and then grouped together like cattle and loaded (sans jetway) onboard this contraption. They wouldn't be here if it wasnt the quickest easiest way to get to Wally-World.

They strap themselves into their seats, look up to the front of the aise hoping to see the "Rex Kramer" type. Strong, confident, sharply dressed. Captain Kramer's attention to detail and pride in his appearance -- to them -- reflects his attention to detail and pride in his JOB.

What do they see instead? Their first impression is that this guy is a slob. His hair is a mess. His tie is nowhere to be seen. There are coffee stains on his shirt. And are those black SNEAKERS?

What message does that send to the customer? They dont care what you get paid or whether management chooses to violate sections of your contract. They want safe, professional, clean-cut, sober, and confident crewmembers in command -- preferably ones that look like the pilots in the movies.

Well, not too many of us look like Rex Kramer -- but you can take pride in your appearance regardless of WHAT you get paid or how long you're on duty.

Since I left the airlines I see things from a whole different perspective. Now when I fly commercial it is as a passenger. EVERY TIME you are in view of the customer you should look the part. They are counting on you. They are judging you by what they see.

Remember in junior high when your mom tried to set you up with the heavy-set, gangly, unattractive girl but told you, "She has a great personality..."?

You didn't date her.

Dont expect your customers to look at you any differently.

Sincerely,
Your customer

PS - I agree with the ball-caps as long as they're only on IN THE COCKPIT and once the door is closed!!!

CF34, you miss my point. We should not be discussing our fellow aviators dress. We should focus on qol. mangement will take care of uniform standards, we should take care of ourselves!

FurloughedAgain said:
Try and put yourself in their shoes. Joe and Cindy Vacationer who travel once a year climb aboard this tiny little airplane. They're petrified. They don't travel often....

They strap themselves into their seats, look up to the front of the aise hoping to see the "Rex Kramer" type. Strong, confident, sharply dressed.

What do they see instead? Their first impression is that this guy is a slob. His hair is a mess. His tie is nowhere to be seen. There are coffee stains on his shirt. And are those black SNEAKERS?

What message does that send to the customer?

Sincerely,
Your customer
Well, I happen to be one of the nerds that starches my shirts and takes my tie to the cleaners with the pants. However, Joe and Cindy are more than likely on $39 fares and shoving snack mix down Joe Jr.'s face to keep him from screaming and kicking the seat in front of him. The only break in the action is when precious Joey crapps his pants and they change him on the tray table - storing the diaper in the seat back for the crew to find while they clean the airplane on a 30 minute turn. ( Our airline just proudly announced they bought little vacums for the crew to use - yippee )

If your customers want to see Rex Cramer flying jets across the Ocean they had better look around at Wally World because they are not likely to run into him while schlepping their bags up two flights of stairs and walking through the remains of the last lav cart spill.

I do look professional, just as a matter of personal pride. But, the airline has done zip to make this a "professional" experience for the passengers. If a member of my crew decides to treat this job for what it is, I am not going to criticize him, or her.

For our real passengers, business travellers, they are about as tired as we are. They simply want to be on time and the airplane to be flown well ( and they do know the difference ). Their worst enemy is Joe, Cindy, and precious Jr. with the crapped in pants.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
FurloughedAgain said:
I think you guys are missing his point. This gentleman was giving you his perception of what he saw as a PASSENGER....no, a CUSTOMER.

Try and put yourself in their shoes. Joe and Cindy Vacationer who travel once a year climb aboard this tiny little airplane. They're petrified. They don't travel often and, quite frankly, this is all new to them. They've been frightened and harassed by security and then grouped together like cattle and loaded (sans jetway) onboard this contraption. They wouldn't be here if it wasnt the quickest easiest way to get to Wally-World.

They strap themselves into their seats, look up to the front of the aise hoping to see the "Rex Kramer" type. Strong, confident, sharply dressed. Captain Kramer's attention to detail and pride in his appearance -- to them -- reflects his attention to detail and pride in his JOB.

What message does that send to the customer? They dont care what you get paid or whether management chooses to violate sections of your contract. They want safe, professional, clean-cut, sober, and confident crewmembers in command -- preferably ones that look like the pilots in the movies.

Well, not too many of us look like Rex Kramer -- but you can take pride in your appearance regardless of WHAT you get paid or how long you're on duty.

Since I left the airlines I see things from a whole different perspective. Now when I fly commercial it is as a passenger. EVERY TIME you are in view of the customer you should look the part. They are counting on you. They are judging you by what they see.

Remember in junior high when your mom tried to set you up with the heavy-set, gangly, unattractive girl but told you, "She has a great personality..."?

You didn't date her.

Dont expect your customers to look at you any differently.

Sincerely,
Your customer

PS - I agree with the ball-caps as long as they're only on IN THE COCKPIT and once the door is closed!!!

I totally agree with this, we should look professional at least.
Fins makes a good point about the pax, you even see them going to the airport with their PJs on an a big ass pillow. But they are still the customers, the only reason an airline exists, so they are our bread and butter......

I remember watching from the gate a Delta MD-11 roll in after an international flight and the FO was wearing a ball cap. I thought- I'd love to be in that guys shoes. What a great job.
Can't wait to do that someday.

For those of you who think this is acceptable, what do you think about the following?

You call for police assistance, they show up. One with an atlanta braves baseball cap, one with his shirt unbuttoned.

Firefighter, same deal. Heck, lets say the firetruck is dirty.

Pharmacist

Doctor

CFI

Attorney

Senator

Mayor

A good number of people across america still believe in taking pride in what they do. Not because management requires them too, but because they take pride in doing things well. Atlanta, of course, is a posterchild for this.

I don't care that our jobs have degraded from what they once were. A lot of careers have degraded, if yours has personally degraded to the point where you don't care, then maybe its time to let those below you move up a number.

Last edited:
How about this.

We all quit playing the blaming game. We all atleast try to look like the professional that we think we should be treated as. Quit blaming Management for everything, remember they are running a business. It is there job to try to make that business make money. Which we aren't, no matter what US ASA and Comair folks think our company DELTA is not making money.
We as a profession are never going to "raise the bar" so long as there are kids out there that are willing to spend $70,000 and then take a job for $18,000/yr. It just doesn't make sense. Management is going to keep driving down "the bar" because there is no demand for PROFESSIONAL PILOTS. Maybe our professional association should try to make it a little harder to get a professional pilot job, ie higher standards than just the FAA, kind of like the ABA does with attorneys or AMA with Doctors.
By the way to the napper in ATL who always has his sleeves rolled up, I just can't belive he thinks that looks professional. Why has'nt Pro Standards stepped in.

Latest resources

Back