ASA Negotiations Suspended Indefinitely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
The bottom line is that in this vendor/network world we live in, the network is always going to seek the cheapest carrier to support them. Sad, but true. How does the industry combat this problem? I don't know.
-Neal
Neal - I'm an idiot and still, I know the answer to that question - ALPA should allow "small jet" carriers to bind the airline with operational control into scope agreements.
BluDevAv8r said:
Why pay a 10% margin to someone to feed your network when you can probably do it as cheaply today yourself, maintain quality control, and not have to pay out the 10% "tax" if you will to utilize someone else.

-Neal
Because the incredible level of mismanagement prevalent in the airline industry. Delta has been more or less managed by outside consultants. McKenzie and Co., does not know anything about the airline industry but they sure know how to bill a client. United and US Air had the same disease. I'm surprised at how fast America West turned things around and still not sure I believe it, but it goes to show what even mediocre airline management can do compared to the Harvard case study weenies.

Besides, much of that 10% margin is the result of organized labors' failure to stop alter ego replacements. The law is there. If ALPA & Management together did not see some benefit from the outsourcing, it would not be happening.

Last edited:
John Pennekamp said:
He and his female predator girlfiend lived it up on ALPA's dime in '98, then turned around and helped sue the union when politics caught up with them. .... ASA management doesn't like him either. Several years ago, he was almost fired for making bogus write ups on airplanes. ALPA saved his butt.
ASA's contract, which is still industry leading 7 years after the events you characterize was hard fought. Were you here then? Joe was not the only one who got called on the carpet for writing up stuff that was not in the MEL. In fact, that is what got us our current contract. Delta decided "ENOUGH" and told George and John to get it done or lose the codeshare. At that time, I was linked to Delta management and had a front row seat to the hell the ASA pilots fought through to get the contract we enjoy today.
John Pennekamp said:
His girlfriend....
... has nothing to do with this and doesn't even post here. She was the Vice Chair of our MEC and while I've heard stories from traumatized FO's about other female 70 Captains, I've never heard anything but good things about her.
John Pennekamp said:
Now he has appointed himself as a leader of an ALPA decertification drive at ASA and comes on our message board daily with anonymous individuals who have "approached him" for information on decertifying ALPA. I say good luck.
John - I am completely with you there. Not only is it a dumb move (because it is not going to happen, no way no how) but it has the real risk of undermining the efforts of the dedicated volunteers who are working very hard on making this airline a better place.

If Joe wants what he says he wants, then his best opportunity of getting that is to support our MEC and the CNC.
John Pennekamp said:
Call it personal attacks if you like....
Yeah, when you start trash talking other pilots' homes and girl friends, it is a personal attack.

I will call these people out when they are wrong, but if you are loyal to the ASA pilot group, these pilots are part of that group and should not be attacked on a personal level for their political beliefs.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
John Pennekamp,

In view of your last post regarding Joe Merchant -

I have no idea if your allegations are true or not true. I don't know either one of you and it wouldn't make any difference if I did. I still have to ask this question --

If you disagree with him, which obviously you do, why don't you attack his ideas instead of launching a vitriolic personal attack?

So you know who he is and you don't like him -- that's your privilege. You should be attacking his ideas and proving them wrong; not launching a purely personal attack. That's in very poor taste, even if everything you said is 100% accurate. Think about it.

It is not in YOUR best interest to do that sort of thing. It's not in the best interest of the ASA pilot group either. If you want to disrespect that person so be it, but, respect yourself in the process.

JMO

Last edited:
surplus1 said:
John Pennekamp,

In view of your last post regarding Joe Merchant -

I have no idea if your allegations are true or not true. I don't know either one of you and it wouldn't make any difference if I did. I still have to ask this question --

If you disagree with him, which obviously you do, why don't you attack his ideas instead of launching a vitriolic personal attack?

So you know who he is and you don't like him -- that's your privilege. You should be attacking his ideas and proving them wrong; not launching a purely personal attack. That's in very poor taste, even if everything you said is 100% accurate. Think about it.

It is not in YOUR best interest to do that sort of thing. It's not in the best interest of the ASA pilot group either. If you want to disrespect that person so be it, but, respect yourself in the process.

JMO
Your advice could be used by Joe Merchant. He constantly posts as fact what he contrives in his ANTI ALPA, ANTI MEC, rants. You are just missing the obvious. Just because he uses statements and presents them as facts doesn't make his post accurate. He is one who denies accountability. If it can be used to his advantage he will say it--fact or fiction. The pilots at ASA deserve to know the Real JOHN BOY and his revisionist history lessons spewed as facts. If you don't like the info don't read it. The pilots at ASA are under a constant barrage of divisive rants from someone who has done very little ALPA work. Not the 12+ plus years he claims. He is so condescending with his little "I like the way you think" or "thanks for not making personal attacks". All the while he spews forth his contrived yarns about the evil MEC and ALPA. Yes, his butt has been saved a couple of times here at ASA by the Union he so disdains because he can't control his verbal diarrhea. He also doesn’t look you in the eye when he talks. He has had all the free shots at our union and MEC he is going to get and he will be held accountable. If you think this is personal you are correct because it has always been personal with him and now he has crossed the line. He doesn’t want all of his and Mommy’s shady dealings to come to light. Those have not even been mentioned on this site. People who live in glass houses...

MODERATOR: Joe Merchant's constant barrage of misinformation is just as personal for those who work hard for our union as his claim of personal attacks against him. If he doesn't like being held accountable he should stick to the truth.

bizjet that is a bunch of crap and you know it. If someone disagrees with you or alpas opinion that allows you to attack them personnaly? That may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

These are discussion boards - if you dont like what someone says offer another opinion. But dont make some jackass claim that because you dont like it you can attack him personally.

Joe-

If your theory on undercutting other carriers holds true, then why hasn't Comair gotten E-170's? They gave portfolio Fred his paycut for growth and wound up getting shrunk. How do you explain this? And you cannot use the anchor of Mother Delta as the reason.

Isn't it more likely that pilot costs (of different companies, i.e. not ASA/Skywest) do not determine where airplanes fit?

DrunkIrishman said:
Isn't it more likely that pilot costs (of different companies, i.e. not ASA/Skywest) do not determine where airplanes fit?

Exactly.

Plus, other factors. For instance, the 700 fleet just got approved for extended overwater operations. No other regional airline has that, or at least that's what they told me in recurrent last month. You can't tell me that after all this planning and dealing with the FAA to get certified, that SkyWest is going to transfer our airplanes and the future 900s away from us to an airline not capable of overwater operations, regardless of pilot pay (which is a very small subset of overall costs).

For what it's worth...

Crash Pad said:
Skywest doesn't need to go overwater to get to central and south america... Just a thought

How you figure they are gonna get from ATL to south america that's not totally out of the way?

Look, there is no reason to go into Joe Merchant's personal stuff. Most of us at ASA know who he is, and what he stands for. Personally I am pretty violently against what he says, but that having been said, he is a nice guy, and I would gladly fly with him tomorrow. Of course he would have to stay away from topics like this or he might find himself shoved through the document door, but I'm sure he knows that...:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back