Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Negotiations grind to a halt (again)! ASA management out of touch with reality!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So let me get this straight. ALPA can't get get the contract settled, it all boils down to the membership not picking up open time to get it settled. IF that is is true, then I guess the Skywest pilots don't really need ALPA, because they can just stop picking up open time and they will magically get a payraise.

ID10T

I was talking about unity. ALPA is nothing without it.

When then looking around, I would say that ALPA is nothing because I don't really see much unity. Here is a question for you, could a unified pilot group achieve something without ALPA? Is it unity, or is it ALPA that we need?

Irish,

WTF are you rambling on about? You must be trying to make some sort of a point, but I don't see it. Care to elaborate?

Last edited:
When then looking around, I would say that ALPA is nothing because I don't really see much unity.

Not much unity? Take a look at the election results from your recent LEC elections. Seems to me that the pilot group demonstrated perfect unity with a resounding vote of confidence in the leadership team. The only people not unified are the very few rouges like yourself and Johnny B.

Actually Irish, its both.

Unity is nothing without someone to represent all the pilots in direct negotiations. An elected representative is nothing without the support and unity of those they work for.

I don't think this thread was about SKW, so I won't even go there.

Unfortunately, management lawsuits (I thought only democrats used trial lawyers) have succeeded in castrating union leaders. AMR sick out, DAL open time, and CMR outstation MX lawsuits put union leaders on the defensive and pilots running scared.

It is up to the pilots to decide when they have had enough.

I have had enough.

Really? How many paycuts have SkyWest’s pilots taken? Zero. How many have Northwest, United, and Delta taken? How much less are they making compared to 7 years ago? How much is Comair being asked to give up?
Actually, Skywest has taken a paycut each and EVERY year they didn't get atleast a COLA of about 3% or so.

So, looks like about 21% over 7 years, oops...I forgot about the 1%...20% over 7 years. Not too far from the paycut all those legacy carriers you mention took. Oh yeah, they started out making much, MUCH more than Skywest.

Actually, Skywest has taken a paycut each and EVERY year they didn't get atleast a COLA of about 3% or so.

So, looks like about 21% over 7 years, oops...I forgot about the 1%...20% over 7 years. Not too far from the paycut all those legacy carriers you mention took. Oh yeah, they started out making much, MUCH more than Skywest.

Actually that's not quite true. Only the very senior people have not gotten raises(me). Everyone with less than 16 years of service has been getting their regular raises.

And again, let's remember that the 50 seat rates are higher than ASA's.

But I still VOTED NO!

I have asked this before without results, I'm not being fasticious: How does a regional feeder who is basically a contractor, not a full blown airline, get scope?

Thanks
The best option is a merger. The next best option is scope within the brand. Since ALPA is not going to help us with either of the best solutions you can follow Comair's lead and obtain penalties if the Company does not maintain a certain fleet size or block hours.

Skywest negotiated "scope" for ASA when they did a deal with Delta requiring that a certain percentage of block hours would be flown by ASA. ALPA could certainly forge a similar deal with Skywest. Flip, ALPA could use their power as bargaining agent to take flying from SkyWest under the holdings umbrella (not likely to happen, but legally it is possible).

As long as the 5 elements of a contract are met, pilots and management can agree to about anything.

Oddly -ALPA is not at all excited about small jet pilots having scope. The powers that be in the union are taking $150 million dollar negotiating credits for RFP bidding - they don't want to see the regional flying come up to a professional standard of compensation. ALPA's primary interest in "industry leading" at small jet providers is to enable transfer of flying back to the majors which actually have lower rates on the same, or similar equipment. Small jet Scope would only screw up the transfer of flying that they hope will happen.

So to answer your question BEATS ME. I don't know how a small jet carrier gets scope without the representation of the national union.

PCL - Rez - someone edumacate me....

Latest resources

Back