• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA July 5 Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it would. But ever since man discovered fire, there has been flame! And along came flight info!;)

I heard the big announcment is that Delta will be integreating ASA into mainline....yea heard that from my last FA...it's a for sure thing.

Is a new "announcment date" going to be a monthly thing from now on?

jj

While the sale of ASA is speculative, $60 oil makes Delta's bankruptcy darn near certain. Then anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Delta is doing a good job of managing the company and reorganizing without all the mess at US Air, but $60 an barrell oil is more than undoing the progress that has been made.

Airtran getting 737's that can cherry pick Delta's few profitable routes is not helping things.

I'm kind of wondering what to do when Delta gets into more serious trouble. CRJ's are not the answer to high fuel costs. Maybe many of us will be flying Eclipse Jets 12 months from now.

Skywest folks - what is it like flying with United?

~~~^~~~ said:

It's like flying the Delta side except the passengers don't come out one at a time and we do manual manifests.

~~~^~~~ said:
While the sale of ASA is speculative, $60 oil makes Delta's bankruptcy darn near certain. Then anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Delta is doing a good job of managing the company and reorganizing without all the mess at US Air, but $60 an barrell oil is more than undoing the progress that has been made.

Airtran getting 737's that can cherry pick Delta's few profitable routes is not helping things.

I'm kind of wondering what to do when Delta gets into more serious trouble. CRJ's are not the answer to high fuel costs. Maybe many of us will be flying Eclipse Jets 12 months from now.

Fins,

Come on now, you really are pushing it again. It doesn't matter how high fuel gets, as long as you add fare increases to cover the costs. 7 fare increases have already been added. Gas prices will likely go down after the summer driving season ends, and that coincides with less passengers flying in SEP.

Airtran is adding a lot of 737s, but they have lately been added to routes like DFW to LAS and LAX, and BWI to FLA. None of those routes affect DL.

Spreading fear is not like you usually. Normally you try to think things out before you state them. Tough day at the RJDC office?

Bye Bye--General Lee

~~~^~~~ said:

CRJs are not the answer with high fuel costs. It fascinates me that Delta keeps on adding them.

michael707767 said:
CRJs are not the answer with high fuel costs. It fascinates me that Delta keeps on adding them.

hey, they are FREE (great financing), and we have to keep some marketshare when we park the 737-200s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Fins,
Come on now, you really are pushing it again. It doesn't matter how high fuel gets, as long as you add fare increases to cover the costs. 7 fare increases have already been added.

Delta Air Lines Inc., the third-largest U.S. airline, said again that it might have to file for bankruptcy if it can’t reduce costs to stem losses or if cash drops to an “unacceptably low level.” Delta said in a regulatory filing Wednesday that its ability to pay “significant obligations” and avoid bankruptcy this year will depend on jet-fuel prices and average fares. The price of fuel has increased 56% this year, and average fares rose less than 1% last month over 2004.
http://aogdesk.org/v-web/b2/index.php?p=877&c=1#comments

Apparently, those fare increases aren't doing as much as you might think. What you don't realize is that many of the fare increases only stick for a short period of time (a week or so), then they get rolled back with fare sales. Plus, fares are falling on other routes as LCC's launch new routes. Grinstein has said repeatedly that the fare increases aren't enough and since you believe everything Grinstein says, you must believe this too.

Airtran is adding a lot of 737s, but they have lately been added to routes like DFW to LAS and LAX, and BWI to FLA. None of those routes affect DL.

I guess Airtran adding ATL-CLT, ATL-SRQ, ATL-IND, ATL-RIC and ATL-CUN has no effect on DL either.:rolleyes:

The reason DL has held off on selling ASA (or Comair) is that they are waiting to see if they will have to file CH11. There's no point in selling ASA/Comair if you know you're going to have to file anyway. DL will need those assets in order to get out of CH11.

viper548 said:
It's like flying the Delta side except the passengers don't come out one at a time and we do manual manifests.

Ours don't come down one at a time and why do you do manual manifests?

MedFlyer said:
Delta Air Lines Inc., the third-largest U.S. airline, said again that it might have to file for bankruptcy if it can’t reduce costs to stem losses or if cash drops to an “unacceptably low level.” Delta said in a regulatory filing Wednesday that its ability to pay “significant obligations” and avoid bankruptcy this year will depend on jet-fuel prices and average fares. The price of fuel has increased 56% this year, and average fares rose less than 1% last month over 2004.
http://aogdesk.org/v-web/b2/index.php?p=877&c=1#comments

Apparently, those fare increases aren't doing as much as you might think. What you don't realize is that many of the fare increases only stick for a short period of time (a week or so), then they get rolled back with fare sales. Plus, fares are falling on other routes as LCC's launch new routes. Grinstein has said repeatedly that the fare increases aren't enough and since you believe everything Grinstein says, you must believe this too.

I guess Airtran adding ATL-CLT, ATL-SRQ, ATL-IND, ATL-RIC and ATL-CUN has no effect on DL either.:rolleyes:

The reason DL has held off on selling ASA (or Comair) is that they are waiting to see if they will have to file CH11. There's no point in selling ASA/Comair if you know you're going to have to file anyway. DL will need those assets in order to get out of CH11.

Didn't we just add another $10 roundtrip fare increase? I think we did. Now NW wants another $50 for walkup fares, which may or may not happen. And, as far as the announcement you produced, DL has to ALWAYS give the WORST CASE scenario to the SEC, incase bad things do happen.

You are right, Airtran did add those new cities to ATL---but on the 737? (I was referrring to Fins comments about the 737 only). Also, Airtran added a bunch of new flights from IND alone to SRQ, MCO, and TPA. That is aimed at NW and their new IND service. Airtran is really going after everyone, not only DL. Since DL's main hub is ATL and so is Airtran's, we do get new competition from them to new cities. But, those new cities often branch new service against others---like PHL service against USAir, IND service against NW, and DFW service against AA. Not everything is targeted against DL directly---and that is good for us. There is also limited space at ATL for them to grow, since their C and D concourse gates are almost at capacity. We still offer more flights per day and will continue to get even more due to our operation clockwork initiative. And, we still have a price premium advantage over Airtran due to the large amount of cities we fly to which they do not from ATL. They are continuing to try to find other cities and hubs to raid, and that is smart for them to do.

I agree that DL would need Comair and ASA to bail us out if we do have to file. Maybe we won't have to sell them, but maybe we will. Who knows at this point, but our management is preparing for every eventuality. Pension reform could be our next life raft for the time being.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back