• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again...no arguement as to why pilots who want better pay wear their hats while picketing. Anyone?

How about, "It's not necessary". 40 years ago a gentleman wouldn't be caught dead in a suit without a Fedora on his head, but times have changed. Perhaps it's time for a change at the airlines as well. SWA... hat optional. NWA... hat optional. SKW... hat optional. All these groups seem pretty professional to me, and I don't see passengers cowering in fear at the gate after watching their pilots board the airplane sans hat.

You said it is not necessary yet the FedEx MEC chairman says it is. And they are the ones with the sweet deal.

Yet when SWA wants to sell tickets they show a SWA pilot with a hat on. When the image of a pilot is marketed it is done with the hat. It is not what you think but what the pax believe.

Why do you like the hat so much? Does it make you feel like more of a professional? As I said before, a professional is defined by his actions. A weak man uses props to pump up his self image.

There is only one type of Airline Employee that wears a hat. I like to be known as the unique employee that has a specific and expert skill. I don't want to be blended in with FAs and gate agents when it comes to my pay.

As has been said, as long as the FOM says "wear the hat", I'll wear the hat. After all, I signed on knowing the hat was part of the uniform. However, if the day comes where the hat is optional, it will never leave my shelf again. Why? Because I don't feel the need to rely on a prop to make myself look and feel like a professional.

What else do you have? Do you flash your training records at the pax? Let grandma ride in the jumpseat to show her how skilled we are?

All we have is image and attitude. Giving up the hat is the camel getting his nose under the text.. whats next. It is acary to think what the uniform would be if it was left up to the general pilot group.

Still no professional arguement against the hat. Anyone? Is there an arguement that hats are counter productive while picketing?

Then why stop at the hat. I think Captains should wear white gloves too! That looks way more "professional."

I'm telling you, I could wear an ape suit to work and still be a professional because that is my attitude. Having said that; I'm sure my passengers would be concerned with one of the pilots showing up in an ape suit.

It would seem that the "professional" argument has more to do with the public's perception....I don't think the public cares about a hat, so long as they got the ticket for $99.

There is only one type of Airline Employee that wears a hat. I like to be known as the unique employee that has a specific and expert skill. I don't want to be blended in with FAs and gate agents when it comes to my pay.

Shut up and drive the bus. I'm gonna be late for my check in.;)

- OR -

Hey Skycap, will you see to it that these bags are checked through to Hawaii?;)

Last edited:
They also have never negotiated an industry leading contract. Just a thought.

...nor have they given away flying to regionals, taken concessions and watched their retirement evaporate. Guess that makes them a bunch of losers, huhhh?

Actually the FedEx guys did. And the UAL guys and the NWA guys and the Mesaba guys and the USAIR guys and CAL guys and AMR guys and XJT guys and the DAL guys and the PCL guys.....

Anyone want to debate the hat at a picketing event or are rare events the best you got?

Were you there? Are you one of our reps?

And I heard DAL didn't even show up, so I conjecture that you're speaking out your rectum.

Here's a question:

The FAs call you back during boarding to deal with a disruptive and possible intoxicated passenger. Do you put your hat on?

OR you need to go to the gate to deal with an issue of the gate agent refusing to send a jumpseater. Hat or no hat?

The point is that the hat is a sign of authority. Cops wear hats for that reason. Ever seen a state trooper writing a ticket without his hat on? In my state, that gets you out of the ticket.

Whether it's required or not, when people see a hat, they know they're dealing with authority. It's not about "professionalism".

let's close this right now...

until the entire industry goes without hats, everyone should wear a hat...

Were you there? Are you one of our reps?

And I heard DAL didn't even show up, so I conjecture that you're speaking out your rectum.

So much for "brand scope"! IF this is true, what does that say about the so called "improved relations" between the ASA and DAL MEC?

Here's a question:

The FAs call you back during boarding to deal with a disruptive and possible intoxicated passenger. Do you put your hat on?

OR you need to go to the gate to deal with an issue of the gate agent refusing to send a jumpseater. Hat or no hat?

The point is that the hat is a sign of authority. Cops wear hats for that reason. Ever seen a state trooper writing a ticket without his hat on? In my state, that gets you out of the ticket.

Whether it's required or not, when people see a hat, they know they're dealing with authority. It's not about "professionalism".
the ONLY time you'll see Atlanta city cops with hats on (airport or not) is at a funeral...or when the last APD "commissioner" (can't remember her name) wanted to look taller.

Latest resources

Back