ASA getting RJ 900's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dave Benjamin said:
I guess not too many people listened to the last SkyWest quarterly investor conference call. Jerry Atkin stated that SkyWest, Inc. (Holding company for both SkyWest and ASA) was getting 20 something CRJ's, either 705's or 900's. Model and airline to be placed with were yet to be determined.

I wonder who they could be for, those CRJ 705s or CR9s? United? Good ole Ron Reber may have thought we at DL could be persuaded to allow that, but the judge hasn't rolled over on that issue yet. Neither has DALPA, yet I guess. We'll see. Maybe you guys can use them against Mesa in Hawaii? And, if you want them at Delta, maybe a deal could be made to wet lease the flight crew from Delta, like our furloughed guys/gals? Just a thought.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"but the judge hasn't rolled over on that issue yet. Neither has DALPA, yet I guess"

The operative part being the last three words. DALPA is a passenger, not driving this plane.

Russ said:
"but the judge hasn't rolled over on that issue yet. Neither has DALPA, yet I guess"

The operative part being the last three words. DALPA is a passenger, not driving this plane.

Hey, I am sure on our part that NONE of us want to give up scope. The Dalpa reps I have personally talked to agree with me. Lee Moak (the MEC chairman) agrees. The judge keeps bringing up that the 79 seat jets means "outsourcing Delta pilots"--and she doesn't seem to like that. Who knows? We'll see Russ.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Hey, I am sure on our part that NONE of us want to give up scope.

Give it up? DALPA gave it up long ago, which explains why you're now fighting over the scraps with a monster of your own creation.

My two cents,

I think Delta pilots are going to have a tough time getting a competitive cost structure for a CRJ-900. Sure, it would be nice to have them, but, at the same time I want to see the mainline recover. I still have 25 years left in this industry and I'm not planning on retiring at ASA. I think the aircraft itself will be a huge boost to the passenger. Granted, I know it is a tighter squeeze than that overgrown jungle jet. That tighter sqeeze also equates to faster speeds at lower fuel burns while carrying the same load.

Since we are talking about the CRJ-900, lets talk about costs outside of pilot pay. First off, the 900 and the 700 are almost identical in systems. The 900 has a different pack, but it operates the same from a pilot perspective. ASA has a simulator on property (100% leased at FSI), trained IP's, trained mechanics, and trained pilots (I can't imagine more than a day of SOE for the 700 pilots). We have a parts inventory and are currently replacing existing 700 engines with 900 engines(no new thrust, just lower temps. Hoping to increase life). I think you will find that the CASM is quite good on the 705, and much better than the EMB-175. It is difficult to analyze how the revenue potential for having first class plays into it. As with the mainline, I would bet most seats will go to mediallion upgrades. Passenger moral will improve dramatically. Thats worth something.

Let me reiterate, I want to be a Delta Pilot someday. But, unless the plan is to operate 200 of these jets, ASA is in a position to operate these aircraft with lower costs and almost no start-up costs. Maybe the line in the sand should be drawn at anything bigger. The CL-65 has no additional size potential.

pup out.

This may all be speculation

For what it is worth, JO over here at Mesa has locked up first option on ALL CRJ-900's to come off the production line for the next 36 months. Go-Jets has under bid us for 900 flying with the new US Air, but unfortunately for them they can't get any airplanes due to this. He has MONTHS to exercise these options before he actually has to buy, and I'm not sure that anybody with any partner of Mesa's will see any 900's if Jonny has his way.

ASApuppy said:
My two cents,

I think Delta pilots are going to have a tough time getting a competitive cost structure for a CRJ-900. Sure, it would be nice to have them, but, at the same time I want to see the mainline recover. I still have 25 years left in this industry and I'm not planning on retiring at ASA. I think the aircraft itself will be a huge boost to the passenger. Granted, I know it is a tighter squeeze than that overgrown jungle jet. That tighter sqeeze also equates to faster speeds at lower fuel burns while carrying the same load.

Since we are talking about the CRJ-900, lets talk about costs outside of pilot pay. First off, the 900 and the 700 are almost identical in systems. The 900 has a different pack, but it operates the same from a pilot perspective. ASA has a simulator on property (100% leased at FSI), trained IP's, trained mechanics, and trained pilots (I can't imagine more than a day of SOE for the 700 pilots). We have a parts inventory and are currently replacing existing 700 engines with 900 engines(no new thrust, just lower temps. Hoping to increase life). I think you will find that the CASM is quite good on the 705, and much better than the EMB-175. It is difficult to analyze how the revenue potential for having first class plays into it. As with the mainline, I would bet most seats will go to mediallion upgrades. Passenger moral will improve dramatically. Thats worth something.

Let me reiterate, I want to be a Delta Pilot someday. But, unless the plan is to operate 200 of these jets, ASA is in a position to operate these aircraft with lower costs and almost no start-up costs. Maybe the line in the sand should be drawn at anything bigger. The CL-65 has no additional size potential.

pup out.

Puppy,

In the 1113c filing, Delta wants to take away most of the benefits. How could you get lower costs? We don't like that at all, but if Delta got it's way, we would have the same costs as a LCC, maybe lower. We offered another $91 million a year that would bring the CASM down to LCC levels. They want our 767 Captains to make less than Airtran 717 Captains. As far as other costs, we already (DL) has the sims over at Flight safety, so training wouldn't be tough to find. And, we have mechanics that understand the product. Also, you say you want to be a Delta pilot someday, right? It will take you a heck of a lot longer if we allow 200 79 or 90 seat jets out there which in reality replaces our 737-200 aircraft and cause more furloughs or prevent our current furloughs from coming back. Don't be shortsighted.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Also, you say you want to be a Delta pilot someday, right? It will take you a heck of a lot longer if we allow 200 79 or 90 seat jets out there which in reality replaces our 737-200 aircraft and cause more furloughs or prevent our current furloughs from coming back. Don't be shortsighted.

General, I tried to tell my FO's this at ASA when we kept getting more and more 50s and 70s. Unfortunately, some are so hard headed it will never get thru. The RJDC does such a spin job on these younger guys its hard to get 'em straightned out.

Lease at FSI ATL

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FSI (ATL) own the CRJ Sim's to include 700 series. I believe ASA's lease was transfered to SKYW w/ the sale.

Latest resources

Back