ASA gets 13 CRJ-900's, Loses SLC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
regionalcap said:
Also consider that these new planes are not going to be doing just quick trips. They will likely be gone for 8 to 10 hours at a time doing flights to Mexico and such. They wouldn't be in ATL that much.
Combined with the overwater exemption we just received, the addition of first class and flying an airplane certified for 86 seats at 70 (therefore no W&B or max problems, just like the 40-seater), plus Delta's push towards international expansion, you have a very good point. These airplanes will head South, and will most likely leave and arrive in the E concourse.

I could also see JFK-Mexico flying and some limited Central America as well. The sad thing is now the "regional" line keeps getting more blurry...

Last edited:
sweptback said:
Combined with the overwater exemption we just received, the addition of first class and flying an airplane certified for 86 seats at 70 (therefore no W&B or max problems, just like the 40-seater), plus Delta's push towards international expansion, you have a very good point. These airplanes will head South, and will most likely leave and arrive in the E concourse.

I could also see JFK-Mexico flying and some limited Central America as well. The sad thing is now the "regional" line keeps getting more blurry...

Excellent point.

I can see JA taking as many deliveries as he can this year without the additional 6 seats. At the end of Dec. 2006 all they do is roll them into the hangar add the additional 6 seats, change the required paperwork and you have instantaneous 2 class operation effective 1/1/2007. Until then they operate them as you have said.

I am sure this plan has been well thought out for months.

JA said ASA will see no more 70 seaters until ad agreement is reached on pay. Eben then, ASA will not see any more 70 seaters if he can operate them more efficiently at SkyWest. I don't like his position any more than any other pilot, but so far he hasn't bluffed on anything. He seems to call it straight.

We are hearing from management that 705/900' will replace 700's which will go to Skywest. I believe them.

Has anyone figured out if there are any gorwth airplanes in the deal?

~~~^~~~

~~~^~~~ said:
JA said ASA will see no more 70 seaters until ad agreement is reached on pay. Eben then, ASA will not see any more 70 seaters if he can operate them more efficiently at SkyWest. I don't like his position any more than any other pilot, but so far he hasn't bluffed on anything. He seems to call it straight.

We are hearing from management that 705/900' will replace 700's which will go to Skywest. I believe them.

Has anyone figured out if there are any gorwth airplanes in the deal?

~~~^~~~

You can't be serious !!!!

Nothing that is put forth by mgmt should be taken seriousely until the new contract is finished. Its all about posturing and negotiating at this time.

The only reason the SLC closure was announced prior to the new agreement is JA knew he would have a riot on his hands if he concealed that info prior to a new agreement. The guy does appear to have some integrity.

Your statement about JA bluffing I clearly don't understand. He is in a very weak position at this point. If we had a work stoppage or slowdown he would bleed money. the new Delta fleet plan is out and he needs to respond quickly or potentially lose business to other regionals. His ASA investment gamble is at a point of do or die.

At this point in time he wants a contract done ASAP so the new Delta fleet plan can be implemented. I predict a TA by the end of the 1st week of June.

~~~~~~ don't go soft on me now.

A side issue that will have some good humor content will be watching ASA attempt to provide "1st class" service!

ASA ain't exatly winning awards for pleasing passengers.

Palerider957 said:
A side issue that will have some good humor content will be watching ASA attempt to provide "1st class" service!

Very true, unfortunately.

I would forsee a gradual replacement of the 200 with the 700.

Darn, does that mean I'm going to have to fly with all the old coots on the 700? I'd really prefer those guys (and that girl) to just remain names on the seniority list or characters in stories told to me by other people. :D

First class ticket holders are the first to complain about bad service. Delta will get a good idea of what ASA is all about when those comment cards, letters, and phone calls start coming in...

rjcap said:
You can't be serious !!!!

Your statement about JA bluffing I clearly don't understand. He is in a very weak position at this point. If we had a work stoppage or slowdown he would bleed money. the new Delta fleet plan is out and he needs to respond quickly or potentially lose business to other regionals. His ASA investment gamble is at a point of do or die.

At this point in time he wants a contract done ASAP so the new Delta fleet plan can be implemented. I predict a TA by the end of the 1st week of June.

~~~~~~ don't go soft on me now.
RJCap: Nah... in case no one has noticed, Jerry Atkin seems to have a plan A and plan B and plan C. If the people I've met in this industry, only a few have their business plans and contingencies as well thought out as he does. Come to think of it, the business owners who plan and diversify are the only folks I've met who have made money consistently in the business.

Sure a work stoppage would hurt him, but not nearly as bad as a work stoppage at Delta, which he said would take a couple of months to adjust to. It is just too easy to route SkyWest crews through Atlanta (like Comair did and does). I'm not saying we instantly loose the fleet, but it is child's play to replace two airplanes a month.

To his credit, he has not been telling us to deal, or die. He has told us that if an acceptable agreement is not reached he will slowly phase in SkyWest and ASA will stop growing. When ASA's growth stops everything starts getting older and more expensive. Comair is in this death spiral now and faces a frightning future if Delta does not come up with a plan other than raping the flight attendants.

I think you are correct that JA wants a deal done, but that doesn't mean he wants any deal done. If he can't meet his objectives, he will use plan B and unfortunately our union hasn't said squeek about stopping the transfer of flying to non-union carriers.

ReportCanoa said:
First class ticket holders are the first to complain about bad service. Delta will get a good idea of what ASA is all about when those comment cards, letters, and phone calls start coming in...
A lot of ASA's problems stem from the fact that C and D concourses in Atlanta were never well designed for boarding from ground level and ASA has entirely overgrown the space available. I understand that SkyWest is funding the rennovation of C Concourse to make it much more RJ friendly.

C Concourse now has a Crown Room and the gateside check in is a nice feature you don't have on mainline - (at least that way we don't loose all the passenger's luggage). I would also take our Flight Attendents over most of the others flying in and out of Atlanta.

Who knows, with First Class maybe the Monterrey Snacks will return, or Toasted Almonds - yummy :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back