ASA furloughs 80 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Smacktard
That's gotta suck, you paid $10 bucks for the new account on FI and then you get furloughed! Doh!

that was below the belt...funny...but a little low!

Hate to hear it for everyone! Wish you all well and hope to have you back real soon!

I have to agree with most. I think the company did a pretty fair job. I am very pleased with the job BH is doing. It is still bad news!

Sunlit,

I can assume that you are one of the 80. Sorry to hear that. That being said, coming on here and blasting your fellow pilots is the wrong thing to do. We are not your enemy, and frankly, Brad, Scott, Charlie and the rest of management is not either. I do believe ASA has done its best to mitigate any furloughs. The writing has been on the wall for awhile. For me, the final and most obvious sign was asking for "VOLUNTARY FURLOUGHS." What could possibly be the next step?

September 11th and what it did to the industry is an example of a furlough coming with absolutely no sign to any of those affected. The price of oil skyrocketing going back to last year, followed so closely by an economic meltdown of our economy, and management offering numerous ways to reduce costs have all pointed to today. Many other regionals started furloughing many months ago, also another sign that things weren't right around here.

Fill out your unemployment forms ASAP and start collecting the money that you had been funding with your taxes over the past year at ASA. Until then, those of us that will be fortunate enough to remain employed will bust our asses to get you guys back.

Enjoy your beer. Hang in there, tough times are ahead for you.

Last edited:
While you are drinking your Koolaid... Management should have used language such as. "Furloughs are highly likely" or "Furloughs should be expected in January". Instead of weak and nebulous suggestions that the economy is bad. I wonder how long ASA management knew this coming. If they found out last week, that is understandable, but I suspect this decision was made many weeks ago. For furloughed pilots, it's like a disease. The earlier they know the condition, the more time they have to prepare and recover from it. I could care less about your fat asses, sitting around all cozy while gainfully employed.
Sorry to hear that you are going to be furloughed. BUT, if you didn't see this writing on the wall, maybe you should have gained more experience before coming to the airline world....and no I don't mean flight time...but since you thought it....that too.

BTW, would you rather have been told around Thanksgiving and/or Christmas that you were out of a job? and I'd bet they probably knew something about the 900s and weren't sure how many needed to be furloughed and didn't want to overshoot the #. ASA and our MEC have apparently worked pretty hard to not go this route. Too bad you're in the cut but thats how it works out sometimes.

Anyone affected by this furlough be advised that if you have sick time accrued, it does not pay out on 2/9... you lose it... straight from the mouth of DG during my "personal" phone call.

cough... I've got about 22 hours according to my last pay stub... cough.

Vacation, OTOH, will pay out.

Careful. There is something in the HR Manual about having to work your complete notice period (last two weeks). If you call in sick, you don't get your vacation pay. This applies to people who resign,. not really sure how it applies to furloughs, since you didn't resign or give 2 weeks notice.You might want to make sure before that cough gets too bad!! Good luck.

Now that furloughs are official, I sincerely hope no one picks up open time. I'm sure there will be people who do but it is a shame.

Careful. There is something in the HR Manual about having to work your complete notice period (last two weeks). If you call in sick, you don't get your vacation pay. This applies to people who resign,. not really sure how it applies to furloughs, since you didn't resign or give 2 weeks notice.You might want to make sure before that cough gets too bad!! Good luck.

The section I'm referring to is Human Resources manual, Chapter 2, section 27. Page 2-27.4, paragraph D section 4. Not really clear, but you might want to check. Hate to see you lose your vacation pay. Hopefully it won't effect furloughs.

Only for pilots resigning.

Latest resources

Back