Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No....We do not!
(Great job ALPA!)

I think your frustration is misdirected. Do you know, or did you follow the history of the ASAP negotiations? I think you'll find ALPA did the right thing on this one. Do we need the ASAP progam? Yes. Can we get one soon? I don't know.

Uga,
I cannot agree with you more. I have already fired off an angry email to my union press guys and local president. I am very angry about how this was handled. Five-minutes of free publicity is no good when its done on someone else's (the ASA pilot group) misfortune, or disdains their intregity.

I want to know how the press found out about this so quickly in the first place. Did they get a call from someone on the RJ when they saw a 757 hurtling at them, did someone from ATC call the media....like DAN RONAN...ATC union spokesman...funny he has the same name as an ex Fox 5 reporter...hmmmm.

I am not sure what all was said on the tower frequency, but I am sure people use scanners and listen to it. Word gets out quick.

Yeah, I'll bet you a thousand bucks that ALPA would never approach the media nor comment on something like this. Could you just see one of our MEC pinning blame on an ATC'er before any kind of official report was out? I'm not so sure I like Atlanta ATC anymore. Maybe I'll just cover my ass and not help you out when you ask me to "hurry up" or "keep it snug". This team player ******************** is not working.

Oakum,
Please do not think we are all that way. Some of us do have integrity and still believe in the team concept - crews and controllers, and about providing great service. Unfortunately, our leadership and culture (within the FAA) has changed too - and we're all just walking a very fine line where the rules change daily depending on who you are (if you get my drift).
Some of us still really do care about doing it right for you guys 100% of the time!!

Last edited:
I agree with atl, let not blame every ATL Tower/Tracon controller for the poor choice of words by one spokesman.

Hopefully we can all learn something from this incident when all is said and done. Then move on. Be safe everyone.

I like the whole, "Watch yourself! Don't get lazy... so you don't kill yourself and others" philosophy.

Or just blame others. That's usually easier.

-Brett

Are you sure you are not in management?

(It wasn't anyone we know, was it? pm me...)

ATC Union...

I want to know how the press found out about this so quickly in the first place. Did they get a call from someone on the RJ when they saw a 757 hurtling at them, did someone from ATC call the media....like DAN RONAN...ATC union spokesman...funny he has the same name as an ex Fox 5 reporter...hmmmm.

Every time something like this happens, the ATC union guys jump right on it. They are always bellyaching about the level of retirements leaving them short-staffed. The FAA is also not hiring
anywhere near the number of people they will need to replace these folks.

-As always, some metal will have to get bent before anything gets fixed by the FAA.

-I do feel for the controllers, and I am not sure this was a factor in this particular case, but do they really have to go running right off to the media?

Latest resources

Back