• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA, DAL almost collide in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Convince every captain out there to stop asking for takeoff briefings and your FO's will stop reading them.

-Brett

Some of us only read them when asked...I love it when I get briefed on all the items that i just wrote down 10 minutes before, I wrote it, pretty sure I am familiar with it.

Some of us only read them when asked...I love it when I get briefed on all the items that i just wrote down 10 minutes before, I wrote it, pretty sure I am familiar with it.

I'm referring to the takeoff briefing during taxi.

-Brett

i think reviewing the takeoff items close to takeoff is a good thing. takes about 10 seconds and should be done when it doesnt distract from anything else. it is often 30 minutes or more since we briefed at the gate and it is always good to remember non-standard items close to takeoff that could be forgoten. blaming or attributing this to the brief is lazy and stupid. if they were briefing as they crossed, when they would have plenty of time while taxiing to 28, they are negligent.

There is not more to the story. They were instructed to hold short. They didn't. Pilot error cut and dry.
That being said, how many of you saw the AP (ASSociated Press) version? I quote "...crew ignored instructions not to taxi..."
I LOVE IT!!! Ignored. By definition, to ingnore means to hear, understand, and not comply. I seriously doubt that this crew heard, understood, and failed to comply. My money is that they got mixed up and inadvertantly boned it. ATL is a zoo.

Agreed. The term "ignored" applies intent, of which I doubt there was. A decent case for slander could be made.

This was an accident, and should be treated accordingly by placing better safety devices and backup procedures in place, not punishing the crew and dragging them through the mud.

But the number one thing is to make sure both pilots, look both ways before crossing an active runway's hold short line. I'm as guilty as anyone else for not doing it 100% of the time, but we have to make this a habbit, especially at busy places with poor setups like EWR, LAX, ATL, ORD...........

Here's something nobody has brought up. The way it used to be, when an aircraft was position and hold, the lights were left off as a signal to crossing aircraft that the one in position was not rolling.

Then several years ago, ALPA issued a memo to turn all lights on when pos and hold to increase visibility.

Now, we really can't tell if that pos and hold aircraft is rolling or not. Maybe the incident crew saw it, but just assumed it was pos and hold?

The way it used to be, lights on meant no cross. This may not have happened.

Absolutely......

Here's something nobody has brought up. The way it used to be, when an aircraft was position and hold, the lights were left off as a signal to crossing aircraft that the one in position was not rolling.

Then several years ago, ALPA issued a memo to turn all lights on when pos and hold to increase visibility.

Now, we really can't tell if that pos and hold aircraft is rolling or not. Maybe the incident crew saw it, but just assumed it was pos and hold?

The way it used to be, lights on meant no cross. This may not have happened.

I absolutely 100% agree with that. I never turn all my lights on in position, and I think it is a stupid idea to do so.
-Great Point!

This situation is far from from cut and dried. Where was the RJ when is was told to hold short? Did the correct airplane respond? Was the instruction clear? I'd say that one must hear the tape before any conclusions can be drawn.

thats an interesting point, because at D taxiway that is the point at which you should change freq. in ATL.

It could have been read back by someone else, easily.

The cockpit cvr would have told the truth, but since they went on to complete the flight, im not sure they have that info. I do know our CVR's record for much longer than 30 min.

If all they have is the tower tapes then ...

Medeco

Didn't the turning on of lights while in position come from the crash at LAX where a USAir landed on top of a skywest in position? No matter what action the FAA or company takes there will always be an unforeseen danger lurking around the corner.

Didn't the turning on of lights while in position come from the crash at LAX where a USAir landed on top of a skywest in position? No matter what action the FAA or company takes there will always be an unforeseen danger lurking around the corner.

Not sure, but turning on the taxi and/or landing lights while in position aren't going to do much to stop a plane approaching you from behind.

Latest resources

Back