ASA, DAL almost collide in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MODERATOR NOTE:

DO NOT POST ANY INFORMATION ABOUT WHO THE PILOTS WERE. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO...

SONORITY NUMBERS
DATE OF HIRE
ETC.

You get the idea. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

MODERATOR NOTE:

DO NOT POST ANY INFORMATION ABOUT WHO THE PILOTS WERE. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO...

SONORITY NUMBERS
DATE OF HIRE
ETC.

You get the idea. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

I didn't post "sonority" number, DOH, etc..... I just posted that this wasn't a real senior crew as was posted earlier.... if you want accuracy, you would remove the post that said this was "a senior crew".......

I understand the issue of protecting the crew, but it isn't fair to portray this as a "senior crew"....... Fair and Balanced.....

Checking the etrip info again, the first flight to GSO was a junior crew. The second flight to GSO (the one in question) was a senior crew.

Again, not that junior vs senior matters. I primarily pointed it out considering there are other threads on the forum discussing the cost of having more junior flight crews.

Not that it is an excuse, but it will be very interesting if a contributing factor was the FO doing a taxi engine start, and the other stuff merchant mentioned.

Flight from ATL crossing an active runway? Maybe crossing 9L/27R heading down to 10/28 for departure?

If so, that can be such a cluster when that operation is in effect.

I believe GSO is a DAWGS departure which is normally 9L/27R, but can be switched to a 10/28 sometimes.

....the main point that should be discussed is whether or not all the "briefing" BS contributed to this event.... Maybe less "briefing" and more heads up and ears to the radio is in order....

......it will be interesting to hear the training dept./FAA spin on this..... probably yet another procedure that will simply compound the problem......

I agree Joe, there is a time and place to run checklists. So many people get so worried about getting the brief and checklist completed.

Theres a time and place to run checklists. And at busy airports you will eventually be stopped behind someone for a long time to complete the required checks.

I am not trying to be monday morning quarterback, and I don't know what happened there in ATL. But I don't know how many times I have told new FO's that I am not ready for that checklist. And try to explain to them that if I am busy in a turn or looking for taxi ways I am not gonna hear one word there saying anyway.

Be safe out there everyone and don't get so rapped up in the damn checklist that you forget whats going on around you.

ASA briefs on the taxi roll??

Why wouldn't you? If the work load is low you can do that briefs while moving.

I don't know what ASA's SOP's are, but I have jumpseated on my airlines that do there checks on the taxi roll.

Theres no problem with it when there no workload involved.

ASA briefs on the taxi roll??

Most majors not only brief on taxi, but also get all the weight and balance data, performance data, and set speeds. Delta is one of the few that still do that at the gate.

With all the emphasis on hold short clearances it does make you wonder what what going on in that flight deck. It also makes you wonder what action the feds will take on the crew. If it is only a license suspension hopefully ASA will allow him to keep his job.

Latest resources

Back