• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA CR7 Jumps the shark...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one injured. A true blessing, but sucks we lose three aircraft in one incident. Word has it we may be eyeballing limiting MX facilities to MCN and ATL (again).

They were drying out the engines after doing some blade washing. Parking brake was NOT set and hydraulics were NOT on. It was a MX woman that was NOT checked out to do engine run ups. (Who the heck told her to do it I have no idea). Hit the start button, threw the thrust level up and off she went into the hangar, collecting 2 50 seaters on her way to a stop. Worst part is that she started the engine standing up in the aisle, wasnt even a person sitting in either pilot seat. 700 = totaled, 1 50 = totaled, 1 other 50 = significant damage

I wonder how that "payroll deduction" will be working for her?

"Jumps the shark".

I do not think that means what you think it means.

I was gonna try to make some witty reply with it when I originally posted and then couldn't come up with anything. Forgot to take it out of the title.

asarat is right on.....talked to a friend of mine who still works as an ASA A&P in ATL and he heard the same story. The mech in question was standing, the throttles were either moved to TO immediately after start or had been placed in that position prior to the start sequence and away she went. Either way, stuff like this shouldn't happen! It's a miracle that nobody was killed or maimed. I know how you guys hate the 400 hr wonder pilots but we have our share of retards in maintenance obviously. It is sad but in the short decade that I've been in aviation I would say that the overall quality of mechanics has diminished. Perhaps it's due to the sh!t quality of the aviation industry as a whole. However, I find it extremely hard to work with clowns who take no pride in what they do, continually look for shortcuts, and have little common sense or mechanical aptitude! I'm by no means saying that there aren't still tons of great people in my chosen profession but the number of careless, ignorant, retards has grown rapidly. Ok....rant over.

If the mechanic started #1 without energizing the electric hydraulic pumps for systems 2 or 3 then the only hydraulics for the brakes come from the accumulators. The inboard brakes are on 3 and outboards are on 2.

Most likely if it had been sitting for a while there wasn't much charge in the accumulators, it is also hard to step on the brakes if you are standing in the flight deck.

Latest resources

Back