Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WWEfan

One List
I know negotiations have been slow to say the least, but this new turn of events is ridiculous. For you ASA guys reading this go check out the latest "negotiations update" on the ALPA website. It is maddening.

Negotiations have come to an abrupt halt for an indefinite period of time. No further sessions are scheduled until management can get its house in order....and the mediator approved it. Well, I didn't approve it. So much for all the fuel saving initiatives I participated in. No more favors. Now I'm not screaming, "BURN THE PLACE DOWN!" Don't do anything illegal or anything that could jeopardize your employment. Just no more favors from this pilot.

I read that on the ALPA boards too. I had such high hopes for the Skywest Management, and then this happens. :puke:

Fellas, Fellas, Fellas.

Don't fret.

We, collectively, have more power than we think. We're just too fractionated to do anything effective to fix it.

That's why we're in the quandary we're in.

Unfortunately, management has an overpowering upper-hand, and it's not likely to get better anytime soon.

They will not negotiate until they must.

Why do they have to negotiate now? I can't see any reason. Business gets done, and we made $30 million profit last quarter.

In the G.O., they're high-fiving each other and salivating over their upcoming bonus checks and stock options.

And we won't get one thin dime of that money until we are in a position of power, which gets further away each day.

In life, you don't get what's fair. You get what you negotiate. And negotiations only begin when each party has potential to lose.

Management, right now, has nothing to lose from not negotiating, and that's why this has happened.

No mysteries. Just plain business.

Wow, sorry I'll have to check back in a few days and read all of the post. I think I'm getting the FLU.

AV8700 said:
Wow, sorry I'll have to check back in a few days and read all of the post. I think I'm getting the FLU.

Dude, you got it!

Don't forget: SkyWest management has never had to negotiate a contract before, or work with ALPA before.

I'm sure there is a lot of on the job training going on on their side that might be slowing things down...

Rogue5 said:
Don't forget: SkyWest management has never had to negotiate a contract before, or work with ALPA before.

I'm sure there is a lot of on the job training going on on their side that might be slowing things down...

Whatthefuga you smoking?

"never had to negotiate a contract" ?

Business is all about negotiating and contracts. The reason Skywest is so successful is because they conduct business, ie: negotiating and contracts, very well.

It doesn't matter the name of the opposite party, whether it be called Delta Airlines, or Salt Lake Airport Authority, or Bombardier, or......ALPA.

They know how to negotiate, when to negotiate, and how to NOT negotiate.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what else is going on here....obviously something big for all the secrecy, shutting down of neg's without a new timetable, etc...Why the letters of confidentiality? Something BIG has got to be up! Of course, who know when we'll get the answers. The company has even hinted that everything else they have agreed to in the first 3 years of neg may be out the window in the light of this new development! WTFO!!

79%N1 said:
Makes you wonder what else is going on here....obviously something big for all the secrecy, shutting down of neg's without a new timetable, etc...Why the letters of confidentiality? Something BIG has got to be up! Of course, who know when we'll get the answers. The company has even hinted that everything else they have agreed to in the first 3 years of neg may be out the window in the light of this new development! WTFO!!

Of course the new development is retroactive pay concessions. See, instead of back pay check, we're going to get a nice direct deposit audit to make up for the years that we were making more than Mesa and CHQ.

Papa Woody said:
Whatthefuga you smoking?

"never had to negotiate a contract" ?

Business is all about negotiating and contracts. The reason Skywest is so successful is because they conduct business, ie: negotiating and contracts, very well.

It doesn't matter the name of the opposite party, whether it be called Delta Airlines, or Salt Lake Airport Authority, or Bombardier, or......ALPA.

They know how to negotiate, when to negotiate, and how to NOT negotiate.

There is a HUGE difference between negotiating with other companies and negotiating with organized labor groups. The dynamics are so different, company to company negotiations can hardly be called practice for labor negotiations. Skywest is inexperienced in this area. Can the ASA pilots capitalize? Its gonna take a whole lot more unity and guts than they've shown thus far.

Latest resources

Back