ASA Contract Negotiations Stalled

WWEfan

One List
Total Time
39 yrs
I know negotiations have been slow to say the least, but this new turn of events is ridiculous. For you ASA guys reading this go check out the latest "negotiations update" on the ALPA website. It is maddening.

Negotiations have come to an abrupt halt for an indefinite period of time. No further sessions are scheduled until management can get its house in order....and the mediator approved it. Well, I didn't approve it. So much for all the fuel saving initiatives I participated in. No more favors. Now I'm not screaming, "BURN THE PLACE DOWN!" Don't do anything illegal or anything that could jeopardize your employment. Just no more favors from this pilot.

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
I read that on the ALPA boards too. I had such high hopes for the Skywest Management, and then this happens. :puke:

Papa Woody

Total Time
Fellas, Fellas, Fellas.

Don't fret.

We, collectively, have more power than we think. We're just too fractionated to do anything effective to fix it.

That's why we're in the quandary we're in.

Unfortunately, management has an overpowering upper-hand, and it's not likely to get better anytime soon.

They will not negotiate until they must.

Why do they have to negotiate now? I can't see any reason. Business gets done, and we made $30 million profit last quarter.

In the G.O., they're high-fiving each other and salivating over their upcoming bonus checks and stock options.

And we won't get one thin dime of that money until we are in a position of power, which gets further away each day.

In life, you don't get what's fair. You get what you negotiate. And negotiations only begin when each party has potential to lose.

Management, right now, has nothing to lose from not negotiating, and that's why this has happened.

No mysteries. Just plain business.

AV8700

Total Time
Wow, sorry I'll have to check back in a few days and read all of the post. I think I'm getting the FLU.

Papa Woody

Total Time
AV8700 said:
Wow, sorry I'll have to check back in a few days and read all of the post. I think I'm getting the FLU.
Dude, you got it!

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
Total Time
~5k
Don't forget: SkyWest management has never had to negotiate a contract before, or work with ALPA before.

I'm sure there is a lot of on the job training going on on their side that might be slowing things down...

Papa Woody

Total Time
Rogue5 said:
Don't forget: SkyWest management has never had to negotiate a contract before, or work with ALPA before.

I'm sure there is a lot of on the job training going on on their side that might be slowing things down...
Whatthefuga you smoking?

"never had to negotiate a contract" ?

Business is all about negotiating and contracts. The reason Skywest is so successful is because they conduct business, ie: negotiating and contracts, very well.

It doesn't matter the name of the opposite party, whether it be called Delta Airlines, or Salt Lake Airport Authority, or Bombardier, or......ALPA.

They know how to negotiate, when to negotiate, and how to NOT negotiate.

Last edited:

79%N1

Total Time
2 many
Makes you wonder what else is going on here....obviously something big for all the secrecy, shutting down of neg's without a new timetable, etc...Why the letters of confidentiality? Something BIG has got to be up! Of course, who know when we'll get the answers. The company has even hinted that everything else they have agreed to in the first 3 years of neg may be out the window in the light of this new development! WTFO!!

sweptback

Guess that wasn't solid
Total Time
79%N1 said:
Makes you wonder what else is going on here....obviously something big for all the secrecy, shutting down of neg's without a new timetable, etc...Why the letters of confidentiality? Something BIG has got to be up! Of course, who know when we'll get the answers. The company has even hinted that everything else they have agreed to in the first 3 years of neg may be out the window in the light of this new development! WTFO!!
Of course the new development is retroactive pay concessions. See, instead of back pay check, we're going to get a nice direct deposit audit to make up for the years that we were making more than Mesa and CHQ.

bvt1151

Total Time
Papa Woody said:
Whatthefuga you smoking?

"never had to negotiate a contract" ?

Business is all about negotiating and contracts. The reason Skywest is so successful is because they conduct business, ie: negotiating and contracts, very well.

It doesn't matter the name of the opposite party, whether it be called Delta Airlines, or Salt Lake Airport Authority, or Bombardier, or......ALPA.

They know how to negotiate, when to negotiate, and how to NOT negotiate.
There is a HUGE difference between negotiating with other companies and negotiating with organized labor groups. The dynamics are so different, company to company negotiations can hardly be called practice for labor negotiations. Skywest is inexperienced in this area. Can the ASA pilots capitalize? Its gonna take a whole lot more unity and guts than they've shown thus far.

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
sweptback said:
Of course the new development is retroactive pay concessions. See, instead of back pay check, we're going to get a nice direct deposit audit to make up for the years that we were making more than Mesa and CHQ.
OK, now that's not funny. :smash:

Papa Woody

Total Time
LOL!

Retroactive pay concessions!

Just when you think it cannot get any worse.....10K disappears from your checking account and BL drives up in a new Mercedes!

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
Do I have to pay it back within 3 days or can I take my sweet ass time as well?

Papa Woody

Total Time
Stifler's Mom said:
Do I have to pay it back within 3 days or can I take my sweet ass time as well?
Within 3 days.....and compounded interest as well!

ifly4food

ifly4food.com
Total Time
To Muc
Guys, this is the final straw.

Skywest just demonstrated that they have zero interest in improving the conditions at this company. First they spend big money sending us a KoolAid CD, then roadshows telling us we need to "be competetive" (aka get ready for pay cuts), then they reneg on everything they've already agreed to in negotiations. What an insult!

It's time we get ready to shut this place down. We need to tell our reps that we want a strike vote. It's time to stop doing the company favors, and stop saving them money.

They're laughing at us in the ATL GO and St George. What are we going to do about it?

"GO AROUND"

Again?!?!?
Total Time
7900+
I love the fact that they don't know who is going to do the cost analysis or how to do it!!!! What a bunch a schmucks! There really is nothing in the sections TA'd that has to be analyzed cause there is little monitary substance in those sections. Can you say STALL! Unbelievable!!!

I just do everything by the SP's no more no less and the place falls on it's face by itself.

Why do you think they took the calling of the times out of our hands? Cause SKW is paid on performance. What better way to increase that than let the rampers lie about the out time so they look good and not have to explain the late code. Sooner or later the on and in times will be by ACARS too.

ifly4food

ifly4food.com
Total Time
To Muc
GO AROUND said:
I love the fact that they don't know who is going to do the cost analysis or how to do it!!!! What a bunch a schmucks! There really is nothing in the sections TA'd that has to be analyzed cause there is little monitary substance in those sections. Can you say STALL! Unbelievable!!!
Yeah, they basically admitted that they've been BS-ing us for the last three years. They haven't even done a cost analysis? YGBFSM!!!!!

kikejavy

Total Time
4000+
I agree with "GO AROUND" go by the SP's. Dont call for fuel let the DC come to you dont go to them. And after you have taken off and are far away from ATL or SLC call Delta Radio and ask your dispatcher what times they put in and under what code and make them change it to the correct time you have on you. If we do this pretty soon everyone will be running 20+ minutes late.

indianboy7

I'm Scerrrrd!
Total Time
Papa Woody said:
LOL!

Retroactive pay concessions!

Just when you think it cannot get any worse.....10K disappears from your checking account and BL drives up in a new Mercedes!
Ya, I'd love to see them snag 10k out of a regional pilot's bank account.........I'll just sit on the sidelines with a 12 pack while they try to take 10k and scratch their heads wondering why they're only getting 20 bucks.........

I love FO pay....