• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Contract List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much back pay. If you insist on full back pay, what are you willing to give up to get it?

Nindiri said:
How much back pay. If you insist on full back pay, what are you willing to give up to get it?

Presonally, I do insist on 100% retro pay. I'm willing to give up nothing for it. It is non negotiable. Any TA that does not include 100% retro pay is an instant NO vote from me.

If we don't insist on it, the next contract will take even longer than this one has.

I can replace my income selling cars. (I know this because I asked the guy I bought my last car from how much he made, and it was more than I make as an ASA Captain) My FO can replace his income working at Home Depot.

100% retro pay is a strike issue for the vast majority of pilots I've talked to about it.

Nindiri said:

Your kidding right. Delay, delay and then we are supposed to give something for back pay? Don't think so. I'm still pretty pissed with what was just done for LOA27

AV8700 said:
Your kidding right. Delay, delay and then we are supposed to give something for back pay? Don't think so. I'm still pretty pissed with what was just done for LOA27

I don't understand that either. I suspect there is more to it than what was told to us. I sure hope we got something in return.

AV8700 said:

I didn't say full back pay wasn't important; I just asked what other area you are willing to negotiate in to get it. If you think you're going to get it for free, you're wrong. Everything is negotiable for a price, and nothing is free. Gain in one area, trade something else to the company. We, as pilots, have to decide what is most important to us. Full back pay sounds good to me, but I'm realistic enough to know that it will cost me in other contract items that I also want.

Nindiri said:
I didn't say full back pay wasn't important; I just asked what other area you are willing to negotiate in to get it. If you think you're going to get it for free, you're wrong. Everything is negotiable for a price, and nothing is free. Gain in one area, trade something else to the company. We, as pilots, have to decide what is most important to us. Full back pay sounds good to me, but I'm realistic enough to know that it will cost me in other contract items that I also want.

So what do you want in the contract?

I think that we all understand that contract talks are a give and take.

Demanding retro pay is a good way to make it clear to management that delays in talks is not cost effective. Some managements might think it is cheeper and easier to pay the company laywer rather than to pay the employees what they are worth.
This is just morally wrong. That is why retro pay is such an important item and may well be a deal breaker in any talks.

100%. I've been hearing some guys saying that we will never get it. We must not settle for less. Spread the word.

4newcontract said:
So what do you want in the contract?

Better work rules at the top of my list. I lean towards full retro pay as well, but not to the point of being unwilling to negotiate less of it. If the rest of the package is sweetened enough, I'll accept less. We're kidding ourselves if we think full retro or back pay is punishing the company, it's just moving money around. It's the total value of the package that may or may not punish them; the rest is just a matter of how we put it all together.

Personally, I would think the company had more to fear from good work rules than a one time retro payout.

Latest resources

Back