• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA confirms details for Air Mekong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is interesting the difference in search results when doing a google image search using the following key words: Alabama or Auburn, and redneck.

Ladies & Gents,

Just browsing the old forum for the first time in years and came across this topic.

Having lived in Asia and been to Vietnam - I can tell you unequivocally to jump at this opportunity if you can make it work.

Vietnam is an unbelieveable experience. If you are the kind of person that is not afraid of grabbing life and its offerings - then how can you say no. The beaches are the best I have ever been on, the food & beer is crazy cheap once you figure out the spots, and the girls ..... well, enough said, should cover it.

As a bona fide overseas resident (which you will be) you will not pay any
taxes on your first $92.5k. Additionally your housing allowance is not treated as income as there is a foreign housing allowance given by the IRS (check form 2555).

The experience and comaraderie you will develop will form a part of your great memories of life.

As an aside the people in Ho Chi Minh in the south seem to be a warmer bunch than the north but Hanoi is not an issue.

Good luck, dont look back ,....and remember when you are having your sundowners cocktail in the Saigon-Saigon bar on the 10th floor of the Hotel Caravelle in Hanoi, where the view inside and out is a ten...just think of the boys back home schleppin their way to Evansville or the Golden Triangle...and you may never return.

Respectfully,

fv

Last edited:
I can second the "you may never return" comment.

I went to Subic Bay (The Philippines), by choice, as a new hire with FedEx. Stayed there 3 years, and jumpseated and laid over (and just "laid") SE Asia, including HMC and Hanoi. When Subic closed, I accepted a much worse expat deal by going to our Hong Kong base, just because I want to permanently stay in SE Asia.

Hanoi is fair, HMC (or call it Saigon if you're older) is better, The PI is damn decent, and Thailand is the greatest country on Earth for a single, Western guy.

No wife / No kids? GO. Yeah, you're offer is substandard compared to other contract jobs (see Parc, Rishworth, and HACS). But you'll have some serious fun.

You'll probably never want to come back to the States; I sure don't.

Evidently, a lot of people feel that way. The company is no longer accepting any more applications. Guess they've got all they need.

Latest resources

Back