ASA Class Dates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
frqtflyer said:
No classes in first quarter...earliest could be sometime in EARLY TO LATE march...apparently they are waiting for the pilots/mgmt to work out the contract. I also heard they are about 100 FO's fat right now. If you are in the pool be prepared for a long swim.

And then be prepared to sit in the right seat for about 6 years. Fun!

79%N1 said:
And then be prepared to sit in the right seat for about 6 years. Fun!

You're gonna be surprised. Contract done by March, new code flying announced VERY soon after, several new planes VERY soon after that and all of a sudden, training can't get them through quick enough. With as many people as we have getting on at the jetblues/airtrans/whoevers with the greener grass, upgrade drops to around 2 years, 3 at the most. We'll even get a new base for all those kiddies that don't want to be in the ATL. brighter days are just around the corner.

ohplease! said:
You're gonna be surprised. Contract done by March, new code flying announced VERY soon after, several new planes VERY soon after that and all of a sudden, training can't get them through quick enough. With as many people as we have getting on at the jetblues/airtrans/whoevers with the greener grass, upgrade drops to around 2 years, 3 at the most. We'll even get a new base for all those kiddies that don't want to be in the ATL. brighter days are just around the corner.

Nice to hear they are still serving the same kool-aid over there.

ohplease! said:

I think I speak for all the other ASA pilots when I say this, "we need to have you drug tested on a daily basis!" Obviously, you are using on your days off.
Get a clue!

ohplease! said:

Whatever you're smoking... pass the pipe, I want some!

ohplease! said:

Ok, so is this based on some facts you have or are you just a positive thinker? Do you have some source? If not, I would caution against stating opinions or hopes as some sort of fact. I do know that S Hall told our recurrent class that ASA is actively pursueing another code-share, and also that we will need an additional base. It was also said in Delta Bankrupcy that ASA has 22 900's or 705's on possible order (don't say it Gen Lee!). However, I get the distinct feeling all or any of this will only happen if a favorable contract is reached, and quickly, which I think there is no hope of.

While I think many of us want a big, industry leading contract, this may not be the time to get one. We have to look at who we currently compete with, which are other DCI carriers. While many say our situation is different than Comair because they ae owned by a bankrupt Delta and we are not are missing the point. They have drastically reduced their costs, and now we cant compete with them, or Mesa, or CHQ, or Skywest (for anything larger than 50 seats) for any new flying, or maybe even to keep flying we currently do. I dont want an 8% pay cut(proposed for the 700), but I also don't want another 4 years in the right seat. I think pay rate is not what to go after now, and hopefully our CNC sees this too. That said, our work rules are horrendous, and need to change! Its hard for me to say I want x more dollars when my seat now pays less at every carrier except Horizon, and that is different because they have no real competition. While I can see the companies point on costs, or payrates so they can remain viable and competitive, I cannot live with our current work rules! We 100% need to control swapping/dropping and get a better scheduling/reserve system in place. I can control my income more, hence make more money, if I can liberally swap out trips for higher block ones without being at the mercy of some brain dead entry level persons whims deciding my fate. (And only Mon, Wed, and Fri between sunup and sunset when the moon is in its first quarter)What does that cost the company? (other than control) Well, they want our help to control costs, they need to give up some control. Fact is, the company wants to grow, and not lose all new opportunities to Comair/CHQ/or the SKW side, and since most growth will be 70 + seats (don't say it Gen Lee) we will lose out to all of them. If we dont get some of that growth, the ATR's will leave, and maybe some 50's will be parked leaving us as a shrinking company, and nobody wants that. I am not a management kool-aid guy, but I think they are seriously telling us that we may cost ourselves out of a future if we cant come to a good, compromising agreement. And anyway, so what if we break the bank and get it all! Look at Comair, it can all be gone down the road anyway. Knowing the attitudes of some of our MEC and negotiators, I fear this is what they are demanding. (Keep in mind, none us us really know what they are asking for, so I really don't know) Now is the time to bring up these QOL issues, and keep competitive pay rates so we can all prosper, and not price ourselves out of our jobs. And those thay say we are profitable (or Skywest is), so that doesnt apply, it does.....because Delta, or whomever else is only going to look for the lowest costs. I just don't think its smart to say we are profitable, and no longer owned by Delta, so we should get the big industry leading-Horizon pay-shoot for the moon contract. I say this only because I hear it all the time at work.

Somewhat correct

To all the ASA guys and gals out there,
I am one of your pilot to pilot reps and have been on several conference calls with the CNC chairman and the chairman of the MEC the last few weeks. It is fair to say that the union does indeed want a pay increase of some sort, at least COL raises, as well as per diem, Altanta bread or Burger King, isnt getting any cheaper. But on the flip side of that be assured that the big thing that your union is fighting for is section 13-scheduling. You are exactly right in all that you said concerning scheduling in your post. I urge you to do what others of us have done and email your MEC , CNC and Base status reps and tell them what your priorities are. Guys this is our union and you have to voice your opinion to your leaders as to how you feel. With that being said tell S. Hall and C. Tutt how you feel, they are in the crew room every Friday afternoon for Q and A with the pilots. (Granted i am sure they are playing the game too) But it is a good opportunity for you and me and everyone else to share with them our wants. I had what I felt like was a very good productive conversation with S. Hall yesterday concerning the contract and some operational issues. Belive me they HEAR your VOICE. I completley agree we don;t need to sink the boat trying to get a boat ride but I do think that we have to stand our ground when it comes to QOL and scheduling. EMAIL OR CALL and TALK to you union leaders as well as management. Communication is the key here. Email me and i will gladly take your thoughts and concerns back to the MEC or Management. Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back