• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asa Cancels 10-20 Flts Aday=no Crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Record boardings... Really we're putting on an aircraft a month... Imagine you board more passengers when you fly more airplanes... I'm not sure you still see the exponential growth in profit...

Hiring... Last I heard they are pumping through 30 and change a month which is about all the training department can handle... Call it poor planning I call it a great problem to have because if we do get sold furlough buffers might be handy.

70 Seater reserve... No worries I got my build up line and they gave me all the open time... 52 hours... and 7 days of reserve for the month. 52 hours doesn't sound like a massive staffing short fall but again I don't work in ops.

IMO we can burn the place down... Run operationally horrible. I have a hunch they still would only be able to run 30 to 40 a month and you would only be screwing your fellow pilots as they will get extended to cover your mess.

Last I checked we work for a broke as$ parent company that is going to need to sell ASA eventually... Comair... same deal. Big D lost $500,000 an hour last quarter and 1,000,000 an hour the quarter before that... In short soon we will have some real b!tching to do when we fight to not get stapled, furloughed, pay cut etc...

In short "Keep your head on a swivel because that's what you have to do when you are in a vicious c%ck fight"

OK BIG MAMA DL has lost 400-900 million dollars a quarter (4 quarters a year) THAT is alot of money...Could you run your business that way and still be in business 5 years later NO !!!!

DL pilots take a huge pay cut--they can not settle our contract--and in JAN..they slashed PRICES-----they learned that in GRAD school!!!! Wished they could run my business, to stay in it that long...

"Record boardings... Really we're putting on an aircraft a month... Imagine you board more passengers when you fly more airplanes... I'm not sure you still see the exponential growth in profit..."

Oh so Southwest plan is wrong....uummmhhh

LEts see Comair can pay their pilots more, treat them better, LITTLE HORIZON out for Alaska can pay more....BUT NOT ASA flying all over the country, ever see Horizon out here.....NO...

:cool: You are right Scarlet! Screw Em!! It is time to roll out the red carpet before we let Ma D really have it by going on strike!! If they have enough money to support the "Gay Parade," then they can drop some cash this way! I am tired of hearing all these reasons WHY we should not get a raise, but you don't see any discretion in their monetary spending on other SH@T! New Contract ALREADY!!!

What about Mesa, Scarlet? How much do you think Comair is willing to pay their pilots now tha Ma Delta has been infected also???

I won't compare southwest to ASA for several reasons. While the Southwest model works the Northwest, UAL, DAL, CAL, Eastern, Braniff, TWA, and American model seem to be struggling.

Horizon... Great company... Know a couple of people who work there. I'm not sure getting paid a few bucks an hour more in exchange for a 10 year upgrade is worth it. Same story at comair. Not putting a plane on the property for three years doesn't help you out in the long run.

I agree with the sentiment. Quite frankly I know I'm worth 1,000 dollars an hour. A five dollar raise that puts upgrade five years away doesn't seem like a good trade. I'm sure Captains would disagree. I still have hopes and dreams of shopping that PIC turbine around and seeing what I can get on the free agency market.

All I am saying is I think management is trying. I still believe that nobody in ops wakes up in the morning and says "Ok it's 8 AM how can we screw the pilots... Hurry up I've got a 9 AM meeting on screwing the rampers." Do they drag out the contract talks YES because that is what I would do if I ran a company. I get the same product for more money if I settle quick. If I thought paying the pilots five bucks more and giving them more time off and a blow job after every leg would make more money and stop me from canceling flights then I would do it. I think we owe it to them to try our hardest so the team acheves a goal. Usually money in capitalism follows the most efficient operation. (Southwest model)
I'm not saying rollover and play dead. Pay your union dues. They negotiate in good faith and go on strike when it comes to that.

I was comparing ASA to Southwest--you said that getting airplanes and growing all the time is not neccessary going to work out to make more money...

Crash Pad said:
All I am saying is I think management is trying. I still believe that nobody in ops wakes up in the morning and says "Ok it's 8 AM how can we screw the pilots... Hurry up I've got a 9 AM meeting on screwing the rampers." Do they drag out the contract talks YES because that is what I would do if I ran a company. I get the same product for more money if I settle quick. If I thought paying the pilots five bucks more and giving them more time off and a blow job after every leg would make more money and stop me from canceling flights then I would do it. I think we owe it to them to try our hardest so the team acheves a goal. Usually money in capitalism follows the most efficient operation. (Southwest model)
I'm not saying rollover and play dead. Pay your union dues. They negotiate in good faith and go on strike when it comes to that.

Or, the company could settle the outstanding contracts, treat the employees with a little respect and dignity, and have employee groups that are happy to be at work and taking care of the problems that crop up, rather than employees that don't really care what happens because they feel that ton company doesn't care. SWA made it to where they are in large part by taking care of their people. No other airline seems to be able to figure out what a huge difference that can make. Employee morale is a huge factor in any type of business, but because the bean counters can't show a direct effect on the bottom line management won't try to improve it.

MedFlyer said:
Not to throw a turd in the punch bowl, but record boarding really don't mean anything. ASA could have record boardings, but if those passengers are being flown at a loss, then it really doesn't matter.

As for your contract, ASA's management has little control. You'll get your contract when Ma' Delta is good and ready. Right now, Ma' Delta has bigger problems...like a looming bankruptcy.

Well said, and completely correct.

Latest resources

Back