• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA callback rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From one IP, they are being told / assigned to the right seat. Not by their choice.

As an FO, I'm not sending any ill will to any one specific IP in this situation. I do fully believe that you were asked to fly the line by the folks that run the airline. From all I've researched on the subject, it wasn't a decision that the IPs made. I have, however, lost quite a bit of goodwill towards the company for making the decision to get through the summer by any means possible without bringing back any of the FOs that are currently on the street. Despicable actions like this are how businesses bring collective bargaining from their labor force upon themselves.

So far as the IPs flying as FOs, however, I do strongly believe that they should be paid as FOs. I understand that in several people's situations, it was in their best interests to fly as an FO rather than as a Captain. Let's face it, being an IP with the seniority on the FO list to pick the schedule that you want, have very little responsibility, yet still get paid as a Captain, is a good deal for the IP.
However, if forced to accept the pay of an FO, I doubt that any IP would have accepted the assignment. Let's play the devil's (management) advocate here: using the logic of helping the company to accept this (?) temporary assignment, why not really help the company? Obviously this assignement was meant to limit costs, why not really help the company out and accept FO pay for FO work? Get where I'm coming from as an FO?

so....instead of bringing back some furloughs at $34 per hour.....they will pay the IP's roughly $95 per hour. Makes sense!!!

As an FO, I'm not sending any ill will to any one specific IP in this situation. I do fully believe that you were asked to fly the line by the folks that run the airline. From all I've researched on the subject, it wasn't a decision that the IPs made. I have, however, lost quite a bit of goodwill towards the company for making the decision to get through the summer by any means possible without bringing back any of the FOs that are currently on the street. Despicable actions like this are how businesses bring collective bargaining from their labor force upon themselves.

So far as the IPs flying as FOs, however, I do strongly believe that they should be paid as FOs. I understand that in several people's situations, it was in their best interests to fly as an FO rather than as a Captain. Let's face it, being an IP with the seniority on the FO list to pick the schedule that you want, have very little responsibility, yet still get paid as a Captain, is a good deal for the IP.
However, if forced to accept the pay of an FO, I doubt that any IP would have accepted the assignment. Let's play the devil's (management) advocate here: using the logic of helping the company to accept this (?) temporary assignment, why not really help the company? Obviously this assignement was meant to limit costs, why not really help the company out and accept FO pay for FO work? Get where I'm coming from as an FO?

Did you vote for OR against the current contract?

Obviously this assignement was meant to limit costs, why not really help the company out and accept FO pay for FO work? Get where I'm coming from as an FO?

I think you're living in a fantasy world. How many Captains (IP's or otherwise) are going to voluntarily accept Fo pay?

From your perspective, I know it does not seem fair. However, if it keeps this company afloat, then being one that is still here, I say do what you need to do. Bringing back pilots for 3-4 months would have cost more money, and I doubt many would want to come back with the guarantee of being on the street again in the fall. That would be despicable! I hope not, but I am guessing that there will be 57 more on the streets in the Fall.

The IP's may be flying in the right seat, but they are still being paid Captain pay. The IP's and the Chief Pilots are the only pilots that can sit in either seat.

Not enough work to keep them busy. You do the math. Look for more cuts after Sept. 2009.

Given Delta's recent announcement about further cuts, consider this thread closed...the furloughed aren't coming back anytime soon.

Latest resources

Back