• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA callback rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason they are making CA's fly in the right seat is cost. Yes, cost. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to have a CA make his pay then to retrain the furloughed pilot, pay for their medical, associated costs et al, then furlough them again in three months.

Look at the reduction of DCI and mainline block hrs for the fall. It is ugly. I am normally a glass half full type of guy, but looking at the data, I will floored if mainline ops to keep all of the extra pilot (1000+ for winter) and not furlough. If I was in the bottom 5% of any list I would at least make sure my logbook was up to date.
The only two reasons we have not seen furloughs here at mainline already are; 1) We just went through 1113C and did not have enough time to truly over staff the way that Delta does, and 2) We needed to have a very positive face when waiting for the government approval for the merger. (North and South)

Obviously this assignement was meant to limit costs, why not really help the company out and accept FO pay for FO work? Get where I'm coming from as an FO?

I think you're living in a fantasy world. How many Captains (IP's or otherwise) are going to voluntarily accept Fo pay?

I think that you are missing my point. Suggest a re-read.

Did you vote for OR against the current contract?

Voted FOR. All things considered, ASA has a pretty good contract; in the regional world, anyways. What's your point?

Suggesting that I'm the culprit for this? Riiiight.

This is one point of the contract, amongst others, where an unpleasant, perhaps unintended, outcome was realized.

Seriously, do you think that this is fair to the entire FO list, much less the 80 guys/gals already out on the street?

Cost savings were subrogated for the rightful seniority of every FO that was pushed down a choice in schedule and potential lost block due to lower line values for the months that this has occured. If this would have happened to you, how would you have felt about it?

Last edited:
From your perspective, I know it does not seem fair. However, if it keeps this company afloat, then being one that is still here, I say do what you need to do. Bringing back pilots for 3-4 months would have cost more money, and I doubt many would want to come back with the guarantee of being on the street again in the fall. That would be despicable! I hope not, but I am guessing that there will be 57 more on the streets in the Fall.
There's no "SEEM" about it. It is unfair, no matter how it is euphemistically described. If it affected you, I doubt you would feel the same way.

Using the logic you have given above, why not have ASA re-evaluate the pay of everyone who posts on FI under the name of 'Speedtape'? In the name of "keeping this company afloat", why not halve the earnings of everyone who posts on FI under the screen name of 'Speedtape'? It's the same logic. That would help to keep this company afloat, right?

With regards to whether or not the furloughed pilots would want to come back, how do you know? Were any of them asked? If there are still unemployed furloughed FOs from ASA, are you saying that they would not prefer to have 3-4 months of income over 3-4 months of no income?

The IP's may be flying in the right seat, but they are still being paid Captain pay. The IP's and the Chief Pilots are the only pilots that can sit in either seat.

Clearly, you missed my point. I know that the IPs are still being paid Captain pay. I think that if any of the IPs knew that they would be forced to accept FO pay for working as FOs, they would probably not accept the assignement.

I would comfortably speculate that if the IPs were forced to accept the FO rate to fly the line as an FO, there would be screams of bloody murder at the injustice.

There are many things that are disturbing about this situation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back