• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Bad news is out.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow 10 pages complaining about ASA taking the hurt over Skywest. Like that’s not obvious. However arguing on a chat forum or trying to lean on ALPA like a crutch isn’t going to change anything. How about we focus on what we can do and stop complaining about what we have little control over. If you are feeling slighted or feel like your fellow pilots are being slighted here is what you can do. If you are feeling sick don’t hesitate to call in. Take advantage of your vacation time and trip conflicts. Don’t call crew scheduling asking for flying! Most importantly don’t pick up open time. Don’t pretend like you don’t do it because I see many pilots doing it every day in the crew room. Also spread the word. Many people don’t know the negative impact they are causing by making themselves more available. I know that making yourself scarce might cause a slight financial burden however think about the 100+ that are waiting for a call back. If you were in their spot would you want them to work more to fill the void?

For those with a wife and kids living below their means for years and years - what do you think about picking up open time? For those who are single and paying off a $100k plus student loan for flight training driving a new M3 on a car loan - what do you think about picking up open time?

I get many various answers from the guys I fly with. I know guys who have massive medical bills for their family members. I know others with loads of debt from school. I've spoken with many others who live beyond their means and others who are very frugal. My opinions are often different from others but I never think poorly of others who work more so they can cover important costs.

Remember that the decisions being made are only being made by managers and not by the workers. Don't hate the players but you can hate the game for certain.

For those with a wife and kids living below their means for years and years - what do you think about picking up open time? For those who are single and paying off a $100k plus student loan for flight training driving a new M3 on a car loan - what do you think about picking up open time?

I get many various answers from the guys I fly with. I know guys who have massive medical bills for their family members. I know others with loads of debt from school. I've spoken with many others who live beyond their means and others who are very frugal. My opinions are often different from others but I never think poorly of others who work more so they can cover important costs.

Remember that the decisions being made are only being made by managers and not by the workers. Don't hate the players but you can hate the game for certain.

everyone has the same thing to say when picking up open time is addressed. I know that these stories tend to get sensitive and make you want to side with the sob story. Unfortunatly you are right most of us do live beyond our means. I'm not immune I also have debt however if I have to rely on open time to barely make it I don't think I could have a good excuse short of a real emergency. I have a hard time believing that frugal people require open time. I know because I am one of those. We maybe aren't paid the best but if you are frugal you can make it work. I would like to feel bad about the sob stories however poor planing is not an excuse.

And all Skywest pilots know they owe all those things to ALPA or other airline unions.

Like I asked Joe, what would their pay and QOL be without the bar being raised at the union carriers over the years?

You need to check your facts. You probably weren't around in the business in the '90s but Skywest lead the industry with pay and work rules by far. Almost every pilot at the other regionals were tacking the Skywest rates and work rules to the doors of management and saying just give us this and we'll be happy. I know this for a fact. (OK, so maybe not almost every pilot)

9/11 changed alot and after that Skywest told us all that they'd have to back off from their promise to keep us ahead of everyone else. Jerry Atkin had the foresight to see what was a head. We're not leading anymore or at the top but we're not anywhere near the bottom, morale is better then at most places, we sleep at night and we're not in the same situation as ASA, Comair, ExpressJet and whoever else. Sorry guys but don't be blaming us for anything or accusing us of feeding off anyone else.

you need to check your facts. You probably weren't around in the business in the '90s but skywest lead the industry with pay and work rules by far. Almost every pilot at the other regionals were tacking the skywest rates and work rules to the doors of management and saying just give us this and we'll be happy. I know this for a fact. (ok, so maybe not almost every pilot)

9/11 changed alot and after that skywest told us all that they'd have to back off from their promise to keep us ahead of everyone else. Jerry atkin had the foresight to see what was a head. We're not leading anymore or at the top but we're not anywhere near the bottom, morale is better then at most places, we sleep at night and we're not in the same situation as asa, comair, expressjet and whoever else. Sorry guys but don't be blaming us for anything or accusing us of feeding off anyone else.

The End.....

But

but
but but and and and

just kidding

it's the end

Also yes, an RJ could make more money if they could actually charge more given the fact that we offer fewer seats, but they don't.
We compete with other airlines, and if they do not do exactly what we do, there is no way to employ that strategy. DAL is stuck pricing tickets with the market.
Fact is that with that market they will actually have a better yeild on the lower priced tickets with a larger jet. The RJ's are very costly per seat mile, where as the larger jets are not.

Your logic does not make sense. RJ's currently are the only aircraft operating on many routes. They compete against other RJ's. The market is currently limited in the number of seats in that market, compared to using larger jets. The price for those seats is more than had the market been flooded with more seats on larger jets. So you're telling me you would throw an '88 on a market currently served by a single CRJ200, so you could take advantage of the lower CASM? Even if you replaced three 200's with one '88, sure it would cost you less, but since a market is defined by a specific city pair at a specific time, you still would not get as many pax on that '88 due to the specific times that pax want to travel.

The airlines are doing the best they can at matching aircraft size to available market; it's pretty silly to think that we know more than the people looking at the actual number of beans in front of them.

Your logic does not make sense. RJ's currently are the only aircraft operating on many routes. They compete against other RJ's. The market is currently limited in the number of seats in that market, compared to using larger jets. The price for those seats is more than had the market been flooded with more seats on larger jets. So you're telling me you would throw an '88 on a market currently served by a single CRJ200, so you could take advantage of the lower CASM? Even if you replaced three 200's with one '88, sure it would cost you less, but since a market is defined by a specific city pair at a specific time, you still would not get as many pax on that '88 due to the specific times that pax want to travel.

The airlines are doing the best they can at matching aircraft size to available market; it's pretty silly to think that we know more than the people looking at the actual number of beans in front of them.

No that is not what I said. You misunderstood the point.
We still need to fill the seats. With the example of ABQ, we fill 757's out of there all of the time.

My point of putting RJ's on routes was that the idea was to up the ticket prices. Fact is that we as well as everyone else has taken seats of of almost every market. Ticket prices have not gone up.
We have gone from 777's to 757's in the ATL-MCO market. Prices have not gone up. We have put RJ's on BHM when we had 757's doing that route. Prices have not gone up. It is not that we do not want to charge more. It is that our competition does not.
What that equates to is less yield per seat because the RJ's have a higher operating cost. If we were in fact able to raise the prices on the RJ routes, you argument would be correct.
We would still charge the same with an 88 and still fill all of the seats. It is not intuituve, but we have added 88's and 757's in to cities that were RJ's. Fact is prices are the same and the flights are still full. (IND, MDT,ORF to name a few)

One thing DAL route management has realized is that people purchase around the single class RJ's. They are doing what they can to limit those single class RJ's to flights under 2.5 hrs for a reason.

What I have written above is not my take but that of the people that run the route and marketing depts. They are the ones taking 50 seat jets out of the market and adding in 88's and 90's. This will continue to occur, and you may even see some of the 76 seat jet cities like MKE add more 88's or the like in the next few years.

If there is anyone in the business who knows what they're doing it's Jerry Atkin of Skywest, Inc. He says the CRJ700s and 900s are money makers but the 200s are not anymore.

Yet, he tried to buy an operation with 274 50 seaters.

You need to check your facts. You probably weren't around in the business in the '90s but Skywest lead the industry with pay and work rules by far. Almost every pilot at the other regionals were tacking the Skywest rates and work rules to the doors of management and saying just give us this and we'll be happy. I know this for a fact. (OK, so maybe not almost every pilot)

9/11 changed alot and after that Skywest told us all that they'd have to back off from their promise to keep us ahead of everyone else. Jerry Atkin had the foresight to see what was a head. We're not leading anymore or at the top but we're not anywhere near the bottom, morale is better then at most places, we sleep at night and we're not in the same situation as ASA, Comair, ExpressJet and whoever else. Sorry guys but don't be blaming us for anything or accusing us of feeding off anyone else.

The promise of keeping you ahead of everyone else is the key right there. This is the same that Ameriflight did back when I was there. Its just their tactic to keep you non-union. The same tactic they use now except for now its not as good as keeping you ahead of everyone else. Now its just industry average +1. And in the meantime, ALPA pilots (since before the 90s) contribute to the profession.

Latest resources

Back