ASA: Are the new planes really coming?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL990

If you look at the latest prelim award, a couple of things really stand out to me. First, when the move from DFW to ATL is complete, there will be way more CRJ 200 FO's than captains (31 to be exact). The second thing that stands out is that there are no posted vacancies for captain on any of the jets, which tells me that they aren't planning to balance the numbers out just yet. I have been told that they are doing another class the first part of December which will have 16 people in it and there is rumor that they will have another class starting on the 26th of Dec., then 20 per month after that....so the question is this....WHEN IN THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO START UPGRADING PEOPLE?!

If these 25 airplanes are still coming next year, when are they going to start upgrading captains to prepare for them? Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to take delivery of the first plane? Because as it stands right now, they are saying around 390 CRJ 200 lines as of Feb 1st. There will be 495 FO's and 464 Captains......Thats a lot of frikin people on reserve and if we don't get those planes, I feel sorry for the bottom 50 or so people because they could be furloughed....anybody got any news??

I am cautiously optimistic about the new airplanes. I would not be surprised if they are used as negotiating leverage against us. I would also think that DCI will try and convert them (at least some) into 700s, as that is what Skp has said he would like to do if they ever got relief from the scope. HOWEVER, I have already heard about the additional 700s being put out to bid, something like the past RFP. I concur about the bottom guys being nervous. Until those planes show up and our contract is done, I wouldn't be doing any long term planning if I were near the bottom here at ASA. There is nothing stopping them from taking our planes and writing "Comair" or whoever else on the side. Could get interesting....

You guys spend way too much time worrying.
All the planes are coming, we will all be captains in a few months, AND we will get scope relief and more 70s.

Seriously...

Hmmmm....Let me look into my crystal ball. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, its cloudy. Here's my opinion anyway. I see the majority of the 25 RFP phantom jets being converted to 70's. Maybe some go to SLC and some to ATL. I don't see ASA trying to use them as leverage due to the fact that they have already publicly stated we were getting them due to the RFP. To go against their word would not be unprecendented, but it would certainly cause one hell of an uprising in a pilot group that is already at the breaking point.

I do think someone else may be brought in to fly some 70's since the newly relaxed scope allows for an "immediate" growth of 25. Neither ASA or Comair can get their hands on that many so quickly so we may see some flying farmed out to those that can implement those jets right away. Skypest, Sh;tauqua and Mesa (the word Mesa is an insult unto itself without me altering it) would certainly be leading candidates.

Ted Striker said:
I am cautiously optimistic about the new airplanes. I would not be surprised if they are used as negotiating leverage against us. I would also think that DCI will try and convert them (at least some) into 700s, as that is what Skp has said he would like to do if they ever got relief from the scope. HOWEVER, I have already heard about the additional 700s being put out to bid, something like the past RFP. I concur about the bottom guys being nervous. Until those planes show up and our contract is done, I wouldn't be doing any long term planning if I were near the bottom here at ASA. There is nothing stopping them from taking our planes and writing "Comair" or whoever else on the side. Could get interesting....

I think there's just about a zero percent chance of them having "Comair" written on the side of them. You guys are "being bad" for not agreeing to managements' whims in contract negotiations and we're "being bad" for not agreeing to concessions. You're right...could get interesting.

Its not Comair we are worried about. Its the bottom feeders....you know who you are.

..so the question is this....WHEN IN THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO START UPGRADING PEOPLE?!

People are upgrading as we speak. I know one person who just finished Captain OE and one who just started their upgrade class.

jetstream said:
..so the question is this....WHEN IN THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO START UPGRADING PEOPLE?!

People are upgrading as we speak. I know one person who just finished Captain OE and one who just started their upgrade class.
Yes, this is true...but, most of the people upgrading right now are filling the 70 slots for SLC...or at least that is what the last class schedule showed....The point I was making with the question is that they are not upgrading any where near at the rate they are hiring...If they are hiring 20 per month which is what they have been doing since March and plan to continue this through Dec of next year, they need to be upgrading 10 per month to keep up...they have not been, nor do have they shown intention of doing so.

My big question is...does anyone know when we are supposed to start taking delivery of the 1st 50 seater?

Don't ya think the 'furlough' talk is a little premature? I assume you were here when the 120's went away, did you throw out a post to the same affect back then?

On a different note, I had a captain tell me the orders were changed over to 70 seaters weeks ago. Not sure how reliable that is, I would have thought something in the aviation news world would have reported that, or at least ASA would have put something out to that affect. But like others say, until the planes are on the ramp in our colors, they ain't here.

Latest resources

Back