ASA: Are the new planes really coming?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Smacktard said:
Don't ya think the 'furlough' talk is a little premature? I assume you were here when the 120's went away, did you throw out a post to the same affect back then?

On a different note, I had a captain tell me the orders were changed over to 70
seaters weeks ago. Not sure how reliable that is, I would have thought something in the aviation news world would have reported that, or at least ASA
would have put something out to that affect. But like others say, until the
planes are on the ramp in our colors, they ain't here.
From another rumor mill, I heard some of the 50s were changed to 70s, but
since delivery of the 50s are slated to begin in January 2005, a few 50s are
already going thru the production line and we'll have to take delivery of those.
The remaining a/c will be converted to 70s. This rumor makes the most sense
to me, but ASA has never made sense before so I doubt it will start with this! :(

I would assume the 2 aircraft/month starting in Jan is still on schedule unless
they fly sideways like the last few 70s!

As far as upgrades go, I think the company is just waiting to see how the
whole shake up with DFW and SLC pans out before they start sending tons of
people into training. We have been fat on captains for a while, so it will take a
little time to balance out. I would assume you'll see some big openings in the
left seat in the spring. Unfortunately, I still don't think you'll see upgrades drop
below the 4 year seniority level.

My $.02

Delivery Schedule

I am wondering, has there ever been a published delivery schedule for these 25 new airplanes?

I think most are assuming 2 planes per month.

What if they delayed the delivery and made it 3 per month starting april?? Then maybe it could be all 70's.

Wasn't US Air's order cancelled? So who gets dibbs on those?

Why would you want to convert the 50s to 70s? We already have 25 50s coming, so if the scope gets relaxed, lets get our 50s AND more 70s. This way we get MORE airplanes.. Use your heads people!

Rumors going around the Flight Safety Taj Mahal is that the training department is getting swamped. They are being asked to train 40 pilots at month ( CA and FO ) but have been hurt by attrition. ASA IP's seem to have guaranteed interviews at most majors and a few have been leaving looking for more secure employment and opportunities for professional growth.

It seems that every year about now ( NOV / DEC ) they slow down on the bid awards since many of the IP's and support staff take their vacations around the holidays and it is difficult to schedule the available resources.

My understanding is that ASA may defer some aircraft until the training backlog is reduced.

I have also heard rumors that CHQ was well in the running for some DCI E170 operations and that any announcement to change ASA's -200 order to -700's would have to wait until late January 05.

If any of you have friends with 121, or 135, time I keep hearing that ASA is looking for qualified applicants to interview.

Who knows - these are just the latest rumors.

so, if chq gets the planes, are the passengers going to have to jump out of the planes at the stations without jetbridges??? I doubt DCI would complicate things like they have with having RJ's with 40 and 50 seats. This leads to less operational flexibility.... yeah, yeah, I know they could put stairs at outstations but that would not happen until somebody gets hurt jumping in or out of the plane.

blzr said:
Airtran sure seems to like them. I would think most airlines like to see Line Check Airman, or Aircrew Designated Examiner, on a resume. If given the opportunity to get those credentials, I'd probably jump on it.

twobits said:
so, if chq gets the planes, are the passengers going to have to jump out of the planes at the stations without jetbridges??? I doubt DCI would complicate things like they have with having RJ's with 40 and 50 seats. This leads to less operational flexibility.... yeah, yeah, I know they could put stairs at outstations but that would not happen until somebody gets hurt jumping in or out of the plane.
They use stairs at VPS for the MD88's.

they also use stairs for the 757 in san jose, california. The point is that many airports that the 70 seat plane would be flying into have no jetbridges available for "RJ's".... i.e. LGA, JFK, CVG, ATL, DCA, SLC, AGS, MYR, RDU, MCO, .... etc.... That does not mean that this is a desireable, but it is a point in the CRJ 70's favor. would you rather have an airplane that can fly into any airport that Delta serves and not need a jetbridge or "stairs" or have one that does not need these accesories, but is able to use a jetbridge if available.

Fred Butrell is saying that having a 40 seat and 50 seat version of the RJ is undesireable due to flexibility of the fleet, why would he create another problem by introducing the EMB 170. At some point, he has to realize that Delta wants DCI to do a lot of flying and it is best for ASA and Comair to do this flying. It is more important to do this flying now than to slowly act to increase the WO's flying. If he p1sses around trying to get concessions but loses the big picture of flying planes to make money for Delta, he will lose his job.

The article stated that republic has an edge to get the scope relaxed flying because they already fly 70 seaters. (as in CRJs, not EMBs)
And the ASA IPs do indeed have an open invite at AT. Dont know about other carriers.

Latest resources

Back