ASA April Schedules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another way to look at it.

Having pre assigned credits like vacation or AQP, before you ever start the bidding process helps this person reach the required credit window.

Additionally, just like straight line bidding, if you are senior enough to hold better trips you are going to reach the required credit window easier than those who are junior to you.

The bidder can determine specific days he wants off, however the number of days off really boils down to the credit hours of the trips the bidder is awarded. When you bid, you select your "personal credit threshold". When this credit number is reached, your line is complete. In theory, if you select 75 hours as a PTC and are awarded a dayline that is worth 75 hours, then you are now working one day that month and have the rest of that month off. Obviously, 75 hour credit trips do not exist, but that is how I would explain it to a child.

More realistically, if you are awarded 4 4-days worth 18.75 hours each with a PTC of 75, you will have 14 days off in a 30 day month.

The problem we are having is determining whether PBS is causing the company to build crappy pairings or if it is mere coincidence. Me? I'm torn. I've gotten what I've wanted 3 months in a row but I'm unhappy with the pairings and am working much more in March than in February to make the same.

My question to you is, why do you ask? You've taken your stance on the pbs issue already and only seem quasi-interested for the purpose of pimping your own agenda.

ALPA built the pairings for April.

The bidder can determine specific days he wants off, however the number of days off really boils down to the credit hours of the trips the bidder is awarded. When you bid, you select your "personal credit threshold". When this credit number is reached, your line is complete. In theory, if you select 75 hours as a PTC and are awarded a dayline that is worth 75 hours, then you are now working one day that month and have the rest of that month off. Obviously, 75 hour credit trips do not exist, but that is how I would explain it to a child.

More realistically, if you are awarded 4 4-days worth 18.75 hours each with a PTC of 75, you will have 14 days off in a 30 day month.

The problem we are having is determining whether PBS is causing the company to build crappy pairings or if it is mere coincidence. Me? I'm torn. I've gotten what I've wanted 3 months in a row but I'm unhappy with the pairings and am working much more in March than in February to make the same.

My question to you is, why do you ask? You've taken your stance on the pbs issue already and only seem quasi-interested for the purpose of pimping your own agenda.

Thanks for explaining it to me like a child. That's what I needed. That's kind of how I figured it worked but I guess I needed someone to explain it to me again. Isn't there a minimum and a maximum PTC? Wouldnt that also determine how many days off you get or don't get?

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of your PBS. I can see PBS working in a way that keeps everything we have now. Which I think would be a minimum requirement for XJT pilots in general because I don't think many of us want to take another concession. So I'm trying to find out the "weaknesses" for lack of a better word, in order to know what I would need to consider PBS.
Another way to look at it.

Having pre assigned credits like vacation or AQP, before you ever start the bidding process helps this person reach the required credit window.

Additionally, just like straight line bidding, if you are senior enough to hold better trips you are going to reach the required credit window easier than those who are junior to you.

Ya thanks for that. I understood that part of it. Personally, I feel that your credits for these things are too low. By the way, in our line bidding system, even though you are not senior enough to get all the good trips, because of transition, vacation, training, FAR, and contractual conflicts, some of those trips are dropped into the ILIW for others to trade for. Or you can drop one of these trips into the ILIW for someone else to pick up or trade for. That is part of the beauty of our system in that even the junior guys have a chance at these better trips or picking up or dropping or changing their days off if something comes up after the lines are awarded or working over vacation if you suddenly need more money, etc. It's intimately flexible throughout the whole month.

Last edited:
All of our trips in line bidding before we got PBS were dropped into an open time as well if they conflicted with something like vacation, training, etc. Giving you those days off. I still like and have done better with our PBS. I am about 65 percent back on my seat and I have gotten everything I have asked for including, 16 days off and 85 hours of pay. I never go into open time anymore because the trips I am awarded would be the ones I am searching for in open time. Like I said, two thirds of the way back!!

Ya thanks for that. I understood that part of it. Personally, I feel that your credits for these things are too low. By the way, in our line bidding system, even though you are not senior enough to get all the good trips, because of transition, vacation, training, FAR, and contractual conflicts, some of those trips are dropped into the ILIW for others to trade for. Or you can drop one of these trips into the ILIW for someone else to pick up or trade for. That is part of the beauty of our system in that even the junior guys have a chance at these better trips or picking up or dropping or changing their days off if something comes up after the lines are awarded or working over vacation if you suddenly need more money, etc. It's intimately flexible throughout the whole month.

That's another problem I have with PBS. A four day training event should be 19-20 hours of at least credit applied to the threshold if not actual pay. If you have AQP and vacation in the same month like I do its going to be very difficult to maximize time off.

All of our trips in line bidding before we got PBS were dropped into an open time as well if they conflicted with something like vacation, training, etc. Giving you those days off. I still like and have done better with our PBS. I am about 65 percent back on my seat and I have gotten everything I have asked for including, 16 days off and 85 hours of pay. I never go into open time anymore because the trips I am awarded would be the ones I am searching for in open time. Like I said, two thirds of the way back!!

You assume that EVERYONE gets what they want. It would guess that that is physically impossible. You also assume that EVERYONE is like you in that you are not always looking to improve what you have. With me for example, if I have an 18 hour 4 day, I would always trade it for an 18 hour 3 day. But that's just me. That is the flexibility of our system. You can take advantage of it if you want or you can do nothing. But you always have the opportunity to increase QOL if you want to put some effort into it.

You assume that EVERYONE gets what they want. It would guess that that is physically impossible. You also assume that EVERYONE is like you in that you are not always looking to improve what you have. With me for example, if I have an 18 hour 4 day, I would always trade it for an 18 hour 3 day. But that's just me. That is the flexibility of our system. You can take advantage of it if you want or you can do nothing. But you always have the opportunity to increase QOL if you want to put some effort into it.

Well, I think if you took a poll right now, the vast majority of ASA pilots are getting what they want. Who wouldn't rather have a 18hr three day over a 18hr four day. I don't get your point. So what you are saying is that being as far back as I am on the airplane, and getting that many days off, commutable trips and 85 hrs of pay isn't flexible enough? I can literally pick days I want to work and which trips I want to work. How is that not flexible enough? I don't even have to put "effort" into it and I have a lot of control over my schedule. And I only spend 30 minutes a month on bidding. No more wasting time swapping or trading.

Latest resources

Back