• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AS Recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something tells me this is more about SEA guys wanting to get out of the freezing fog in Gig Harbor.QUOTE]

Freezing fog is a good point but moreover but they sure as hell want to get away from the Meth heads on the Key Peninsula. Target is getting scary.

I agree with you MD. Here's why:

This saves the company a ton of money. Think of hotel costs alone. The only cities that would have to have hotels would be SMF,SJC and OAK. That is a lot cheaper than having to have 6 crews stay at the SEA Hilton every night. As far as LAX is concerned, I told my rep to tell the company to go pound sand on this SEA base for the following reasons:

This is a true statement. The Hotel Committee guys have done numerous studies that indicate the Company could save $1M a month with a PDX pilot base. Back in the "olden days" the CP said on numerous occasions that the only thing keeping them from a PDX base was the MD-80. A single fleet type would make them seriously consider opening a base.

If you put the ETOPS flying in PDX the problem of staffing a Hawai'i flight with a short notice sick call evaporates...DH a reserve from PDX on QX. There's one every half hour.

1) The company got another concessionary contract with this last one we signed. Aside from the slight pay bump hows this working out for everyone? Any one on reserve want to answer that?

Again, exactly correct. I'm sure the Company would staff a SEA ETOPS base exactly like they did when we flew the 727s to Russia...train ALL the reserves to do the flying. That way they can draw coverage out of the general SEA reserve population.

A PDX base requires their own reserve force. All the more reason for the average line pilot to support this option. That will require upgraded Captains and furlough recalls. Not the Company's agenda.

2) The company decided to train LAX and ANC to save costs. OK fine but now all of a sudden it costs them more money to crew out of base. I'm sorry but the geniuses in Dockers should have seen this coming.

Why does this surprise you? Remember the ANC MD base for Russia flying? How did that work out?

3) The company cut costs so far and reduced so much, they have no choice but to recall. They will use the furlough pilots as hostages for this. The company will say that unless we give them this, they wont be able to recall and it will be the unions fault.

However the opposite is true, as usual. If the Union holds out against the SEA ETOPS base, there will be a requirement for more staffing in ANC, LAX or PDX and they will be forced to recall.

All that aside, I think the option of opening a PDX base is the most obvious choice. You can open PDX as a co-Terminal such as in socal. We have so many PDX commuters that they will bid SEA and bid monthly for Hawaii out of PDX. No hotel cost in PDX and the hotel cost that they save in PDX can be transferred to paying for the rooms in SEA. Therefore as management likes to say, will be "Cost Neutral".

I don't think we want to make PDX a co-terminal. You open that can of worms and what other cities could be co-terminals? JNU? LAS? PHX?

Does anyone here think it will matter what you do? 84 PERCENT of the pilots voted in that last 8 year CBA we're currently on. Fighting is futile. We're all the same... in the company's mind.

Strangely we've been hearing about AS recalls on the DAL Coconut Telegraph. Probably just pilot rumor mongering, but a lot of fear that AA could make a move on AS to disrupt Asia feed in retaliation for DAL's interference with JAL. An AS recall would be preparatory for SLI in order to avoid furloughed hostages being taken.

Being off and on discussed in the Latest and Greatest thread on Airline Pilot Central.

An AS recall would be preparatory for SLI in order to avoid furloughed hostages being taken.

Being off and on discussed in the Latest and Greatest thread on Airline Pilot Central.

Don't recalls in preparation for SLI mean that our managment is doing the pilot group a favor? I don't see that happening. I think they like the hostages.

Well...at least the rumors have turned a corner. A couple of months ago the rumors were all about MORE furloughs...now at least there are plausable rumors of recall.

...other than - the company is recalling to somehow protect the furloughs. I highly doubt that is the case.

As far as Alaska being bought by American...I highly doubt that is possible...in fact, I think it would be more financially feasable for Alaska to purchase American than AA to purchase Alaska....not that I think either is possible. Right now AA has the second worst liquidity position of the majors and would not have an easy time getting someone to lend the money to them. Paying cash would break AA, they are running pretty thin as it is. 7.5 billion in current assets seems like a lot, but not when you consider they have 9.5 billion in short term liabilities. They would have to borrow the money and I doubt anyone would finance the transaction at a worthwhile rate.

The only way I see AS & AA as possible is a merger and I don't see what would be in it for Alaska shareholders.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back