Are you a left-wing wacko?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cherokee said:
And finally, are you so left wing that you think that a President who has a degree not only as an undergrad but also an MBA....FROM AN IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL....is dumb!?!?
And do you further believe that he got through that ivy league school completely on his own, and who his family is had nothing whatsoever to do with it?

C'mon, Cherokee, a lot conservatives think W.'s pretty dim, too. They just don't mind because they know Rove and Cheney are doing all the hard work.

Fantasy-land. You do not get to be POTUS by being slow....sorry, doesn't happen.

Chunk said:
You do not get to be POTUS by being slow...
Sure you can! Just surround yourself with good people. It's happened with both Democrats and Republicans throughout our history.

Panel 3. Do you believe that low wage employees who work full time should make $15 an hour to flip burgers? Do you wish that even more of these low wage employees could be out of work further exascerbating the problem in panel 2. Do you think fondly of the day when your cheeseburger costs $7 at McDonalds? Do you not realize that that additional cost will be borne by the consumer not the business? Yes/No

I've always wondered how you run a society where you tell people to work hard and you'll be sucessful? You can work 50 hours a week at McDonalds and not have enough to pay the rent, not to mention paying for health insurance. A lot of people work very hard in jobs that don't pay much and never get ahead. No wonder some people give up.

Photopilot,

I believe hard work is necessary and does lead to success, but if there are no jobs it doesn't matter how hard you work. I know dozens of people who are smart and educated and work their asses off, but are unemployed/underemployed.

Saying that all you need to do to succeed is to work hard reminds me of a memo I got from management regarding a shortage of parking spaces at work. We had about 80 people in the office and only 65 parking spaces. Their solution: " if you want a parking space, come to work earlier!"

photopilot,

You are 100% correct. I've worked with them too. As a matter of fact, I start a job on monday to replace a lazy apathetic pilot. In this economy, especially in aviation, he screwed up bigtime, but now I have a job and he doesn't.

I believe hard work is necessary and does lead to success, but if there are no jobs it doesn't matter how hard you work. I know dozens of people who are smart and educated and work their asses off, but are unemployed/underemployed.

This is true, but the government coercing companies to raise wages makes the problem WORSE. In a down economy, it is difficult for a company to make ends meet. If you tell them they have to pay their employees more, they will lay employees off and require more from the employees that remain. That is why in this weak but improving economy, you see that unemployement is still high and worker productivity is also very high. Forcing companies to pay more rusults in MORE unemployed folk who can't afford food and a house.

Furthermore, you can afford food and housing working at or below minimum wage in this country. Many immigrants (legal and otherwise) are doing it every day. You may drive an '81 Carolla and live in dirty little 1 bedroom, but it can be done. It is not your employer's responsibility to guarantee that your standard of living is acceptable to you. If you want better than that, I suggest you take the path of the waitress did in the above story.

I guess I'm a left-wing whacko Cherokee.

Here you go slick...the latest stunt from Dubya, your hero:

Welcome to ALPA FastRead for October 7, 2003

ALPA, AFL-CIO Blast White House Move to Change Union
Reporting Rules
The White House, late on Friday, announced that it had
implemented its long-touted changes to Labor Department
reporting requirements for labor union finances and expenses.
ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, said, "These new
rules are an insult to American workers and the organizations
those workers have chosen to represent them both in the
workplace and in the halls of the U.S. government. The
changes are nothing short of the most outrageous and egregious
act of union harassment from our government in more than 50
years, perhaps ever."

Capt. Woerth declared, "ALPA's current governmental
financial reporting requirements are far more detailed than
those required of corporations; for example, ALPA's LM-2 is
currently about 120 pages long. Our LM-2 reports are for union
members what annual reports are for shareholders. How many
shareholder reports do you receive that are more than 30 pages
long, including numerous photographs and illustrations, a short
balance sheet, and a few words of wisdom from the CEO?"

The new LM-2 report "must be filed only in an electronic
format-by law," Capt. Woerth observed. "Why? A paper
copy of ALPA's new LM-2 report would be more than 30,000
pages long. No corporation could or would tolerate this sort of
harassment. Enron and Global Crossing certainly did not have
to file 30,000 pages of financial data on their organizations.
Such reporting requirements would put many small businesses
and some large ones into bankruptcy. Our friends in Congress,
both Democrats and Republicans, expressed their concern to
the President that this new rule was patently ridiculous. Capt.
Woerth added that the new rules "will not provide any useful
improvement in the information we provide." The White
House, however, "has chosen to ignore an overwhelming
majority of the 35,000 official comments received when the
new rules were proposed and the bipartisan requests from
Congress to make any rule update more meaningful."

The Office of Management and Budget received the final rule
and had at least 90 days to review it to ensure that the changes
do not cause any unnecessary burdens or costs. OMB is
required by law to conduct such reviews of newly proposed
governmental rules and regulations before they are
implemented. "Isn't it ironic," Capt. Woerth said, "that the
same OMB that has been reviewing for several years the
proposed flight-time and duty-time rules and now opposes that
NPRM because it would increase costs for airlines has taken 24
hours to review the new LM-2 rule before passing it on without
a single change or comment."

Compliance with the new reporting rules "will cost ALPA
members several million dollars over the next 18 months,"
Capt. Woerth said. "Between now and January 1, ALPA
officers and staff, who have much more urgent business to
attend to, will be forced to spend countless hours
reprogramming our financial software and redoing our
accounting system to break out financial data categories the
Bush Administration wants--not the way ALPA's governing
bodies require it or the way members want it, use it, or
understand it."

He said, "ALPA does not have a problem with filing
requirements for thorough and meaningful expense and finance
reports. But this rule change will provide no improvement over
the current practice."

AFL-CIO President John Sweeny claimed that the
implementation of new union reporting rules "is more evidence
of the Administration's blind determination to weaken
workers' organizations and is clearly political payback for the
workers' overtime pay win [October 2] in the House. The
announcement is yet another Friday afternoon release of
actions they hope to shield from scrutiny." Sweeny added that
"America's workers deserve better from their President...." He
urged President Bush to recall the new rules and go back to the
drawing board to create financial reporting rules that work for
working people.

To answer some of the previous posters:

1) Yes, I DO think Bush is an idiot. No, strike that, possibly the biggest moron to ever set foot in the White House. His "degrees" would make excellent toilet paper, but that's about it. He is the poster boy for ending so-called "legacy" admissions in all colleges. He is a silver-spoon ninny who is just short of pure evil. I think he is in more dire need of a good a$$-kicking than any man alive.

2) Bush is to Republicans on the National level like Arnold is on the state level. He is a Republican in name only, not deed. Bush has smashed all previous records for the enlargement of government, and increasing government intrusion into your personal life. He has personally ran up a record deficit. Slick Willy is looking REAL good by comparison, and that is disgusting.

3) Bush's approval rating is right where it should be: Going down steadily. I believe it is currently below 50%. That makes "right-wing whackos" the people on the fringe pal.

By the way, you should understand that I am an Independant, not a Democrat. I am conservative politically, Pro-Life, anti gun-control and a big proponent of state's rights.

However, if the Republicans run Bush in '04, I'm voting Democrat. I don't care if Hillary is their nominee.

Wow, in that long tirade by ALPA not one place did they mention what changes the requirements made. Before I agree with the head of a union, or anyone, I would like to first know exactly what the situation is... details not rhetoric.

Chas

When I went on a ski trip to Banff Canada I had to get a 1 week medical policy in the event I needed emergency care
What's your point? Canadians coming down here for skiing, if they are smart, are also picking up some "top off" cover.

Latest resources

Back