• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you a left-wing wacko?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Leon" is the original European name of the movie "The Professional", staring Jean Reno.

There may be another "Leon" you're thinking of? Or the Japanese are enamored with Jean Reno in general.

His movie "Wasabi", was quite funny and featured Japan as a back drop...

Typhoon,
You have not offended me.
SIUCAVFLIGHT- Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Aviation Flight major.

TonyC said:
No, I have no specifics about what items must be reported in what format. Is that what you're looking for, so you can apply your accounting expertise to the question and determine if ALPA has a valid complaint?

Close, but not quite. I am not about to say this is a horrible thing until you give me some details. You say that there will be 'no benefit realized.' You have no idea if this is actually true if you don't know the subject matter. No I am not an accountant but I generally like to have all the facts I can about an issue before I cast judgement. Also, the OMB is a non-partison governmental organization that has essentially the same employees year after year, remember this is the same OMB that predicted a record budget deficit, so they are obvoiusly not covering for the President. Furthermore, they don't have to necessarliy review 30,000 pages in 24 hours to approve a change. Perhaps they change was something like they need a report on all members in regard to something like pay, benefits, etc. This is something that would take a lot of pages because there are 10's of thousands of members. But the original idea behind those pages is to get X and Y info on union members. That is what they would have to decide in 24 hours, not necessarily sifting through 30,000 pages of stuff. Probably most of this stuff would be in a database anyway in ALPA including relevent member info. OMB approval only has to be of the idea, sifting the documents comes later. I have no idea what the changes are, and neither do you. I would suggest researching the issue further before getting your heart rate up too high. There just may be a good reason for the changes.

Last edited:
Well, here we go, here is a link to the subject at hand and guess what, the measure is an attempt for the MEMBERS of the union to know what the leaders of their union are doing with their dues money. They are trying to enforce regulations that allow unions to spend money on such things as collective bargaining, not politics. I know if I were a member of a union, I wouldn't want my money going to Howard Dean. A union is supposed to represent the membership and therefore shouldn't spend everyone's money on the unions political agenda. Seems reasonable to me. Here is the link...
http://www.nlpc.org/olap/030714lm.html

siucavflight said:
SIUCAVFLIGHT- Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Aviation Flight major.
Ah, that explains much. Thanks. :D

cherokee said:
Furthermore, they [the OMB] don't have to necessarliy review 30,000 pages in 24 hours to approve a change. Perhaps they change was something like they need a report on all members in regard to something like pay, benefits, etc. This is something that would take a lot of pages because there are 10's of thousands of members. But the original idea behind those pages is to get X and Y info on union members. That is what they would have to decide in 24 hours, not necessarily sifting through 30,000 pages of stuff.
Apparently you have difficulty with numbers, as it has been stated several times that the OMB had 35,000 comments to review, not 30,000 pages of Data X and Y about 10's of thousands of members, and only one little, bitty idea to agree with.

cherokee said:
I have no idea what the changes are,
That's too bad for you, but it doesn't seem to keep you from sitting on the sideline and throwing stones, does it? I don't know specifics, but I DO know enough of the general terms that ALPA has taken the position that the administrative costs will be onerous, and the information presented in the new format will be of no more use than the present report. There's a lot of things I don't know all the specifics about, and that's one of the beauties of a representative democracy. I get to choose others who make it their job to deal with the details and apply common sense to make proper judgments. When ALPA tells me that it will cost more in dues money to track every paperclip, I tend to agree.

cherokee said:
the measure is an attempt for the MEMBERS of the union to know what the leaders of their union are doing with their dues money. They are trying to enforce regulations that allow unions to spend money on such things as collective bargaining, not politics.
That could be no further from the truth. This is an attempt by the GOVERNMENT to tell PEOPLE what they need. Inasmuch as dues money and PAC money are already seperate, the issue is nothing more than a red herring. I'm not worried that my dues money is being spent on paperclips that might somehow find their way into an unsavory politician's hands. That's the type of reporting that's being sought. Itemize every penny of expenditures so that we can make sure that dues money doesn't go towards political causes. Gimme a break.

Interestingly, your voice has just proven the whole point of the legislation. If you oppose trade unions, you favor this onerous legislation.

Now that we've established that, there's not much of a point in continuing this discussion, is there?

That's the guy...I didn't know his name. It's the dude from the 'professional'. Him and Bruce Willis are all over Japanese commercials and billboards.

TonyC said:
I'm not worried that my dues money is being spent on paperclips that might somehow find their way into an unsavory politician's hands. That's the type of reporting that's being sought. Itemize every penny of expenditures so that we can make sure that dues money doesn't go towards political causes. Gimme a break.

Yes I do would want to know where my dues money is going if I'm a union member. Obviously you are not concerned that rules are followed because the money in question goes to campaigns of the politicians you like. Think for a second of the union member who prefers Republicans. Do you think it's fair that 100% of his money and of those like minded members goes to liberals and democrats? No way should a union be able to use my dues for political purposes I disagree with.

That's the guy...I didn't know his name. It's the dude from the 'professional'. Him and Bruce Willis are all over Japanese commercials and billboards

I can see why the Japs love him. They love everything about American and European culture.

He did a good job in "Ronin", "The professional" and "Wasabi".

I could totally see Jean Reno, Robert DeNero and Christopher Walken, (and/or Rusell Crowe) doing a remake of the movie "wild geese". I just got done watching the first 1/3 of the "italian job" and wound up returning the movie without seeing the whole thing because it lacked substance. Techno is great...but it never supercedes a good plot with dialogue.

cherokee said:
Obviously you are not concerned that rules are followed because the money in question goes to campaigns of the politicians you like. Think for a second of the union member who prefers Republicans. Do you think it's fair that 100% of his money and of those like minded members goes to liberals and democrats?
You've now taken a huge leap from something about which you know very little into something about which you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You might be surprised how many professional pilots, upstanding, dues-paying labor union members, are conservative and vote predominantly Republican. If you had any clue about what Unions are for, and what protections they provide, you might be able to see that. It's rather obvious, though, that you aren't interested in seeing things objectively, as you feigned to do in earlier posts. You give conservatives a bad name.

To imply that every penny of dues money is funneled directly to "liberals and democrats" (isn't that redundant?) is ludicrous. Go find someone else to slander, thanks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back