Are these DAL MD-90s on the way?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

DAL has said in numerous press releases that the MD-90 is by FAR their lowest seat-mile cost of ANY of their narrow body jets, so they want as many as possible. They were planning on acquiring 74 of them, but that was WITHOUT the Saudia jets...so could be as many as 102. Boeing should have kept the 717 line open, and added the 717-200 as AirTran wanted. Now they will be getting their 737 ass kicked by Bombardier's "C"!

The lowest seat-mile cost of ANY of their narrow body jets is the 757...

The CEO said the MD90 costs were lower...I am guessing because the acquisition cost is so low.

Just taxied past Timco today in GSO... nothing but Air Force DC10 types sitting around.

Ive been in and out of GSO for the last couple days, there are at least 4 MD-90s outside the northeast part of the TIMCO facility.

Ive been in and out of GSO for the last couple days, there are at least 4 MD-90s outside the northeast part of the TIMCO facility.

They must be in the standard Delta Camo paint jobs then. I'll look again... headed out this afternoon.

Nothing but widebody city around the Timco hangar I saw. Are there multiple hangars?

I know I must be missing something here:

The 737-700 burns around 2.2K to 2.4K per hour/per side with 137 pax. 737-800 will be :erm: configured for 160 pax. I'm assuming its burn will be slightly higher.

Given the MD90 is burning around 2000 PPH more fuel; how can it be more efficient ?

Just curious. I'm not playing 'my airplanes better than yours'.

No Worries, mate. With the new mod, the MD90 won't be commuter friendly, as it'll need 4 FA, as there won't be a cabin JS available if needed. If i remember correctly, the 800 burns about 3.5 per side, since it cruises way up in mid to high FL30s. I believe the extended overhead bin is a must if they intend to continue use these planes for it's purposes.

I was told the 800 takes about 25 days in a month to break even and then make some money, but the MD90 takes only 5 days. So there's your CASM comparison, fwiw:)

No Worries, mate. With the new mod, the MD90 won't be commuter friendly, as it'll need 4 FA, as there won't be a cabin JS available if needed. If i remember correctly, the 800 burns about 3.5 per side, since it cruises way up in mid to high FL30s. I believe the extended overhead bin is a must if they intend to continue use these planes for it's purposes.

I was told the 800 takes about 25 days in a month to break even and then make some money, but the MD90 takes only 5 days. So there's your CASM comparison, fwiw:)

Mate ......

Riveting stuff. I was surprised to hear that the 800 burned 7000 PPH in the cruise. Very surprised.

Words to live by: Borrow the company bike. Don't buy it.
The 737NG does not have a stick pusher :laugh:

Cheers,

JP.

I stand corrected.

2 China Air MD90's parked at the North Timco Hangar in GSO in various stages of disarray...

One of them parked parallel to us while taxiing was just reregistered as N921DN.

To Delta they go. At least they won't be more blasted Regional Jets... or let me rephrase... at least the jobs will be going to Mainline Pilots.

How do the Tech Ops folks in ATL miss out on these new aircraft inspections though?

Latest resources

Back